Dakar 2011 - Official Event Coverage - THANK YOU all Posters and Lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Runs with Scissors

Oddometer:
    No joy

[​IMG]
  2. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    No, I mean this:
    That's 20.00 here in Greece...

Watch here:

http://www.tn.com.ar/vivo/metafile.asx
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I think that, like last year, I'm gonna leave a tab open on just this thread.

Only way I'm gonna know where I was. :lol3
  4. practicalshooter

practicalshooter Posteriophobiac

Oddometer:
    Problem is using different computers. Makes for a lot of extra effort just figuring out where the hell you left off last time:eek1

/D

5. barkbuster67

barkbuster67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm all caught up and ready for the action!! F5 Thanks to everyone who keeps this thread going. I feel like you have taken me from the top bleecher seats to the sidelines.

GO Jonah!!!!
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Cell phone. Just enter the page you left off from in the notes. As long as you keep that updated, you won't have to backtrack.
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes its just a liaison.

Buenos Aires-Victoria the old way
    Road section, 377 km

The Dakar will be respecting the tradition of the first editions, which systematically started on 1st January at place de la Concorde in Paris. This time, the competitors will indeed be passing an obelisk, yet it is the one on the Avenue of 9th July in Buenos Aires, before heading for Victoria, along a road section. The stop-watches will not be ticking for this day of meeting the Argentinean crowds. However, after this first section of the route, the competitors will be setting up for the night in the bivouac.

[​IMG]
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    f u c k !
  9. Mickldo

Mickldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Live footage on TN right now.:clap
  10. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Volkswagen is confronted with allegations of sexual harassment against motorsports director Kris Nissen.

[​IMG]
    Photo: DPPI

As German print magazine Focus reports today, the car company is investigating serious accusations against the former touring car champion. The incidents in question happened at the Formula 3 season finale in Macau in November, when Nissen reportedly touched a female hotel guest's breast and later attacked an Audi employee who refused to buy him a beer.

Long-time rallye navigator Tina Thörner (SWE) also approached the VW board of directors, reporting that Nissen invited her to grab his crotch to "see what real men are made of". Dakar legend Jutta Kleinschmid (GER) said Nissen had led the team with a "system of fear" and went on to say that she had repeatedly witnessed how Nissen acted inappropriately towards other employees, particularly women.

Stefan Moser, chief of marketing and communications at VW, is quoted saying that "as of now, Kris Nissen will stay with the team. We will investigate and clear up the situation when we are back home". However, if the allegations turn out to be as serious as reported, "we have to act immediately". It is expected that VW will come to a decision before the racing starts on Monday.
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jep, just read this as well somewhere else...some tough guy he is huh? :puke1
  12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if its a smear campaign or for real....The impeccable timing of the allegation against Kris seems suspicious to me.

[​IMG]

23:04 : Personal Dakar Argentina Chile 2011 Start Podium
    On 1st January 2011, on the Avenue of 9th July, the starting ceremony for the riders and drivers in the Personal Dakar Argentina Chile 2011 will witness a grand show for all the fans of the rally.From 11.30 AM until 1.30 PM in the podium zone, the partners’ parade will be offering gifts to the spectators (caps, balloons, frisbees, tap-taps, etc.). Total, Banco Macro, Red Bull, Volkswagen with its Amaroks, X-Plod, Agua Palau, and Andesmar will make up this parade of 15 vehicles and fifty stewards and stewardesses.Between 1.15 PM and 2.15 PM, Chris Pfeiffer, a motorbike showman and spectacular performer, will be showing off his tricks at the foot of the podium for the pleasure of the on-looking crowds.Giant screens will be installed by Personal at 3 spots in the general public zone and will broadcast the presentation live.

20:15 : Cyril Despres: “The goal is the same”
    The three times winner and title holder is lining up for an edition of the Dakar unlike the rest, in which all his rivals will be equipped with machines of the same power, following the compulsory switch over to 450cc bikes. This levelling of the mechanical playing field does not mean he is any less of a favourite for victory though. Aware of his status, the KTM rider is approaching the race as an exercise in controlling the elements, in which his experience could prove to be decisive: “The appealing thing about this event is that in fact you can’t control absolutely everything. The one who does this best is the one who handles the problems best, not the one who doesn’t have any, because that’s impossible. When I look at how far I’ve come, I realise that I’ve managed to win in very different contexts each time: either by dominating throughout the rally, or by resisting until the end and winning in the last two days. It’s something I’m fairly proud of”.

19:37 : Robby Gordon: “Here to win”
    A Hummer is a vehicle which is difficult not to notice, especially if it is fluorescent orange. Robby Gordon made a big impression on his entrance to the grand hall of the La Rural exhibition centre to undergo scrutineering. True to himself, the American driver proved to be boldly confident. “I’ll say it and I’ll say it again, we’re here to win the race. We’ve worked a lot and put in plenty of effort for this rally. Now the challenge is to win the Dakar. We’ll need a bit of luck. This car is probably the best prepared that I’ve ever had. We’ve worked a lot on the car’s height as well the inflation and deflation system. The engine is better. In two days’ time, we’ll see if we’re at the same level as the others”.
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Timing is shitty indeed... kinda like Assange...
  15. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is it; This is what 183 riders will be facing over the next two weeks. It brings tears to my eyes.

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/pRhlGVtGGpc?fs=1&hl=en_GB allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BTW The dreamracer video should be out in August 2011.
  16. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    US boys sticking together:

[​IMG]

Cyril: Baha? What is Le Baha? And La Végá to where? :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. Stegerman

Stegerman MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer:
    Good to see we are holding all judgment until the facts are out.:deal
  18. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the riders briefing this morning there warnings of a LOT of rain on the first few stages. After last year this is great news for Craig (Bounds No 86), but was followed by news of possible stage cancellations as other competitors 'struggled so much' last year...is it just me or isn't that the point?!

Only time will tell...Fingers crossed its all kept in!

Dave
  19. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Nate, Remi, Anyone, Have you looked at the tracking yet?

I don't yet see how to get to individual riders. :dunno
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    doyle... I don't think it is up and running (yet?) :deal Dunno if they will have it up for the liason from BA up to Victoria (first bivouac), perhaps first will be on Sunday (LEG 1) over to Cordoba?

(from the DAKAR site)

Standing for this WP (waypoint) is not available
    Overall ranking for this WP (waypoint) is not available