Should I buy a scooter?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by thesurvivalist, May 25, 2014.

1. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have a buell ulysses that gets around 45 mpg on premium gas. I've been thinking hard about purchasing a 2015 Honda PCX with the intention of saving gas. I intend to keep the Buell but use the pcx for my daily commute.

It would also be a good way to get my wife into riding too on the weekends. I rode a pcx 150 and it was a pleasant ride, I really liked the scooter.

I dont know if its worth spending 4k otd though.

What do you think?
  2. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't buy it to save gas, buy it to have fun and get your wife riding.
    It would take a lot of miles to cover $4000 price plus insurance, tags, tires, etc.
    I use all my cycles less since I got the scooter.
  3. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    How will you save over $4000 worth of gas when scooters get about 65 mpg. Just put a milk crate on your Buell.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Small scooters are a blast. There are a lot of us here who are long time motorcycle riders who decided to buy a scooter. Almost all of us have ended up riding our scooters more than our motorcycles. I have 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles. I ride the scooters far more than the motorcycles.

I wouldn't worry about the $4000 for the PCX. I'd be more concerned about the $8,000 you will end up spending to buy 2 of them:rofl
    HelloPitty likes this.
  5. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    PCX is a 100mpg scoot.
  6. FizzyRascal

FizzyRascal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ^ :norton

Especially my PCX - LOVE IT!!

And this ^ :D
  7. JoshinBham

JoshinBham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes
  8. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    I like it. Direct and to the point !

Be Big,
    AMAC
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of us here who have been where you are... a scooter? Really? :evil

Never had a Buell, but I did own 9 Harleys over the years. And a bunch of other bikes. While the PCX is amazing regarding the miles per gallon, it is most impressive for smiles per gallon. It is just fun. Easy.

My wife has been riding almost as long as I have, and she is the one who suggested these scooters. I scoffed... really, an actual scoff. :lol3 I had it in my head that scooters were somehow "less" than motorcycles. There is a term for this: dumb ass. :rofl

I thought I would miss shifting. Dumb ass.

I thought 150cc would be too small to be practical. Dumb ass.

I thought some might look down on a scooter. Well, that would make them the dumb ass, but I have been surprised at how many people make nice comments and ask questions about the PCXes (rare with my motorcycles).

If you want one and it is in the family budget - by all means, BUY ONE! You obviously enjoy two wheels, you won't regret the PCX. My only regret was the fact that I was a dumb ass and didn't get right with the program when my wife first suggested it.

I am having more fun on two wheels than I have had in a long time. My wife feels the same.

We have talked about swapping off one of the PCXes to get a bigger scoot for times when two-up on one bike would be more practical (i.e. strapped on the back of the RV, taking on the ferry)... neither of us is willing to give up our scoot, and neither of us wants to be the passenger.

As long as you can live with 55 - 60 mph as a practical top speed (it will do 65, but it takes a while to get there, and there is nothing in reserve), the PCX is a very impressive little bike. Easy and peppy in traffic. Comfortable. Practical (I can fit a couple small bags of groceries under the seat).

But, buy it because of the fun - hard to put a value on that. Enroll your wife in an MSF course and take it with her.

Don't be a dumb ass. :lol3

Best wishes,
    Captain Jim

(It's a scooter forum - what'd you expect? Ask this same question on one of the bike forums, and you'll probably get a bunch of dumb ass replies. :lol3)
    Escaped likes this.
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    As was already said, don't buy a scooter thinking you are going to save gas or money. Even if it does get 100 mpg (and I do have to wonder about that, my Zuma 125 gets about 70 mpg) it will not last long enough to pay for itself in gas savings if you use it all the time instead of something else. A scooter is for fun, and they are a lot of fun compared to a big heavy motorcycle that you have to muscle around. No shifting, just get on and enjoy the ride. For some $4000 is too much to pay for what basically amounts to a toy. They will point to the fact that you can get a nice used motorcycle or a car for that much. If you are one of those, scooters are probably not for you. But most who ride them very long get totally hooked, including myself.
  11. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    What kind of commute do you have? Distance, terrain, type of roads, etc..

How much stuff do you carry with you on your daily commute?

Care if lane splitting is legal or not?

Honda PCX is a lot of $$ to spend on a scoot.

I bought a $1600 Chinese 250cc Honda clone back in 2008, daily commute 20+ mi. on country back roads that traffic flow about 40-50 mph, it gets well above 75 mpg.
    Now at 12k mi. on the scooter, it's never given me any problem other than blown fuses and flat tire.
    Even the OEM Chinese battery from 2008 still holds charge and start the scoot every time.
    Oil change takes about 15 min., valve adjustments requires only a single tool, takes less than 10 min. performed while engine is running on its center stand.
    It's been the most reliable and easily maintained vehicle I've owned until I bought a Chinese made Honda Passport clone last year.
    I don't know if my experience with Chinese scooters is unusual, but knowing to operate vehicle within their limits is just common sense for their longevity.
  12. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't recommend a Chinese scooter, but you can get a lot better deal by buying a used late model Japanese scooter.
  13. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BS, one of our local riders kept a log to see how soon he would pay off the purchase of his Ruckus by riding it instead of driving his truck. He estimated it would take almost 3 years. He paid for the total cost of the Ruckus, insurance and gear in less than 19 months purely on the difference between mpg with his truck vs the Ruckus.

Okay, a PCX costs twice what a Ruckus does but it is far more useful for commuting than a Ruckus. Our Buddy has paid for itself multiple times over in the last seven years including maintenance. You Zuma uses a lot older engine technology than the PCX so I have no problem believing that the PCX will get better gas mileage. Heck, my Vespa GTS 250 averages 72 mpg. Our Buddy 125 gets between 90 & 105 mpg depending on who/how it is being ridden. Our Buddy has been a daily rider/commuter for my son all through high school and into college. Teenage boys aren't known for taking great care of things either.

The gentleman asking about the PCX commutes on a motorcycle and is looking for a more convient alternative PTW. I don't know about Colorado Springs but I do know that Denver is extremely scooter friendly.
    Your experience with Chinese scoots is highly unusual. Based on reports I've seen by owners and the very few shows in our area that will even touch a Chinese scoot I'd say your experience is remarkably good.

Hondas are extremely reliable and are a brand I could recommend wholeheartedly. Personally I don't care for the styling of the PCX but I see its attraction. I'll stick with my traditional styled Vespa, Piaggio, Genuine and Aprilia scooters. Kycmo and SYM are two lower cost Asian scooters that are quality if someone wants a lower price point.

What I do not understand is why when someone asks about a specific model scooter why people feel the need to chime in that it is "too much money". I'd rather pay more upfront for something that has a good mechanical reputation and dealer support nationwide. Whether to purchase new or used is a very personal choice based on factors other than cost in most cases. I bought both ways and frankly unless I know the history of the scooter/motorcycle/car I prefer to buy new after electrical issues caused by "mods" the previous owner did hidden behind farings.

For urban commuting a scoot makes perfect sense. Go for it.
    Escaped likes this.
  14. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scootrboi, the new pcx 150 is supposed to get 100-110mpg, it would half my gas bill. While 4k would cover around 50000 miles on the buell. However that is a lot of miles.

I don't have an issue jumping down 1050cc, as I probably had more fun with my previous dr200 that I do with a big adventure bike. It is definitely affordable, I just don't like spending money.

Ideally if my wife faced her fears of clutch shifting we could get two small dual sports but to have my best friend ride with me is priceless.

Captain Jim, I was planning on sending my wife to msf brc, is she able to take the scooter instead of using there bikes?

Dabears you are right, I'm very lucky to be where I am, it's really nice riding here when its not super cold. I have a 20 mile commute, mostly interstate at a 65 limit, however I can take an alternative route through Colorado Springs, topping out at 55.
    Chinese scooters are not an option.
  15. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I bought a 50cc Yamaha C3 simply out of curiosity and to use as a winter beater. I, too, scoffed at the idea of a scooter but I relished the opportunity to try something new.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected it to be so much fun. It is the only bike I use to go around town now, it's that much fun. The bonus of the fun is 100 MPG, dirt cheap insurance and tons of practicality. I love the twist 'n go transmission and its capability. Hell, I even like ripping along in traffic, trying to stay in their draft to reach the eye watering top speed of nearly 50 mph. Mine even has a cup holder!

[​IMG]

Scooters are freakin' fun
  16. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jump in the shallow end first. Find used Kymco or Genuine 125 for a grand. See if it is as fun as you think it will be (it is!). Then sell the first one and buy whatever you want.

I'm not a huge fan of the PCX. Imo it's too big. it gets away from the beauty of the scooter concept, mainly small size. As you go bigger and bigger you eventually end up witha small, underpowered motorcycle. Look at a PCX, then check out a Buddy 170i. The Buddy is TINY! Mucho better.
  17. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    If you're unsure about whether you're going to embrace scootering, it might be a good idea to find a good used one to sample before investing in a brand new one. A Chinese scooter is an option if you're prepared to do some repairs- from what I've seen, they are consistently inconsistent. Japanese or European cost more for a reason.
    My first experience with a scooter was a Honda Helix that my girlfriend had just bought. I enjoyed myself so much that I soon found myself an '85 Elite 250 that I found to be a blast, drum brakes and all. After a year on that, I moved up to my Tmax, which is my daily commuter these days.

Someone once said that a scooter doesn't replace a motorcycle, it replaces a car. A lot of truth in that.
  18. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been riding scooters for, wow, a couple decades. Oh, I have a garage full of motorcycles too, but when I need to just "go" I get on the Aprilia Scarabeo.

Today being a case in point. Downtown Asheville is a human zoo. Touristas everywhere. Parking for SUVs and such is nonexistent. I got on the scooter, had fun, and bought a week's worth of groceries at Trader Joes - parking where the bicycles do. Top case swallowed it all.

Coming home, I saw a guy in a big SUV with his window down looking at me. "100 mpg, unless I ride it like I stole it, then it's only 70mpg or so..."

He said "I gotta get me one of those".

I smiled zipping home. Now a Dales Pale Ale. :freaky
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was me that said the. And dammit, it was brilliant.
  20. screw the whole idea of saving gas. if it will make you happy just buy the damn thing. life is way too short to have regrets about the things you didn't do but wanted to.
    HelloPitty likes this.