Heated gear.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bob393, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    take a look at Aerostitch as well. They are pricey, but worth it, IMO. Lots of choice on features, vest,long sleeve, windproof or not, inflateable or not. (surprisingly, that is not a gimmick! it actually works.). also, they can supply any plug/wiring/controller setup you want from the same source/catalog.
  2. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all.

I was leaning toward the warm and safe stuff from my own research and
    you have confirmed it for me at least. Also I love the look of the new touring gloves,
    kind of a cross between a racing gauntlet and a touring glove. In looks at least.

Seems all this stuff is pricy but what the hell we went BMW didn't we :clap
  3. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I got my first heated vest back in about 1992 it was an Eclispe
    Then around 1998 I got an Aerostich,

Now I have an Aerostich jacket, windblock.

Here's how I like it set up
    I like a thin, very little insulation on the heated jacket,
    I wear the jacket close to my skin, if it's cool not cold that's it on the outside I wear my Darien jacket
    If it's cold I layer up between the liner and jacket.

I struggled to find a jacket that didn't have a bunch of insulation and was long enough for my simian like build.
    I found my Aerostich liner at a gear reseller, it was custom made with longer sleeves and a longer tail.

The only thing I now wish I would have done when I got my first heated gear is to get a jacket rather then a vest.
  4. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    Gerbings old school not the new microwire.
    Darien, Gerbings jacket liner, & a thin long sleeve t-shirt.
    Just make sure your electrical system is up to it and you are good to go.

Doc
  5. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was planning on getting a heated vest, but everybody said full jacket is the way to go. I just ordered a W&S 65watt jacket with remote controller for my DR. Should be here friday.As stated before, they are on the site and give us a generous discount by typing in "ADVFORUM" thanks Mike.
  6. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't know they had a discount for us. That will push me over the edge to warm and safe!
  7. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a W&S jacket liner that I really like along with a dual remote controler and have been looking at heated gloves or glove liners, I see lots of reviews of different gloves but not much mention of the liners, I have had heated grips before but they leave my finger tips and thumb cold so I think I want some liners for my Held warm and dry gloves for the really cold days, does anyone have any experience with glove liners?

---
  8. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    That would be some considerable wisdom.
  9. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Tourmaster synergy gloves and hated them. The heating was uneven and didn't extend into the thumbs. They were really disappointing. I took them back and got Gerbings and have been extremely happy with them. I wrecked on the highway in the Gerbings and they're still working like they were new (though they don't look quite as nice now). Gloves are the only heated gear I have, so I can't comment on the rest of their gear.
  10. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    The same Gerbings full jacket since 04. Reliable - rain, cold or shine. Going on a long trip moto - "Dont leave without the Gerbings.."
  11. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I knew heated gear was as good as it is in the cold I would have got it a long time ago. I can ride comfortably for any length of time at any speed in pretty much any temp down to freezing. The heated collar is really nice and keeps your head warm.

I have Gerbings microwire. Works well but had a few minor issues with connectors that were easily fixed. See comments in webbikeworld.com review of this. The jacket is great. My Gerbings T5 gloves on the other hand are great too but the sizing is off. I take a L in tourmaster and most other gloves but am swimming in the L Gerbings gloves. They need to fit tight to transfer heat. Read great things about warm and safe too so I would also consider their stuff. I would avoid tourmaster unless you are only going to use it on the rare occasion. It is cheaper but not as good. Skip a heated vest in favor of a heated jacket liner with heated collar IMO. A heated liner needs to fit tight over just something like a long sleeve T shirt to transfer heat effectively. Avoid the temptation to buy oversize.

One issue that bugs me with all heated gear is it lacks sufficient insulation. If you want to be comfortable in cold weather (<45F) plan on wearing your heated liner under the insulated liner than comes with your jacket. Other wise you are going to have hot spots where the heating elements are and be cold elsewhere. At temps higher than 45F the heated liner without the extra insulation works fine.

Also get a dual channel controller. Your going want both heated gloves and a liner to be comfortable at the temperatures the liner allows you to ride in. With the gerbings controller invest the extra $10 on the controller pouch so you can mount this to the outside of your jacket where it will be adjustable while riding. Having a too hot or too cold jacket and not being able to reach the controller while riding is frustrating. Gloves and jacket liners go well together as you can plug the gloves into the cuffs of the jacket liner.

I think heated pant liners are a waste of money. I ride in insulated motorcycle pants with base and sometimes mid layer and am quite comfortable down to 0C/32F. Think of it this way, when your body is chilled the first thing it does is slow blood flow to the extremities to keep the important organs warm. When you have a warm core circulating warm blood to the extremities cold legs and feet are not a problem.
  12. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used Warm-n-Safe gen-1 here since it first came out. Never a problem and the owner Mike is often here on the forum to answer any issues that crop up. He does a great job communicating.
  13. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
  14. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Concise and no drama.
    Thank you all.
  15. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    Funny that. I bought my first Widder (RIP) vest in 1991. It was a revelation to me, and it still works today. I have a box full of connectors.... Since then I can count about half a dozen riders I've bought electric gear for as b'd/xmas presents who had never heard of electric gear. Each of them has later said "Oh my gawd - why didn't I try this sooner????".

I now use W&S gear because I respect Mike's level of customer service, attention to detail, innovation, and overall approach to his customers. Sure, his feud is a bit "distracting" but overall he's a good person to do business with.
  16. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    without question!
    good equipment,,great customer service from real people who ride.
  17. Storm Shadow

Oddometer:
    i only recently purchased a medium powerlet jacket for my SO, as she has low blood pressure and almost got hyperthermia , she used it once, and then well got pregnant, so jacket cant be used when ya pregnant, so i thought id try my fat arse into it, powerlet have a stretch pannel system that stretches to make sizez easier so, my l-xl body fit into it and it doesnt even feel tight, since i only ride 5 mintues to work and back each day, although its night time and freezing i cant be bothered putting it on. but ill use it for longer rides.

i like the idea i can put it under leathers, or under my cordura to be super warm.. folds u p so its just in one of my pannier.
  18. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Storm,

I would be turned off by the Pink colour.:D

Not many of us can wear our wife's clothes, I sure can't, but good for you. Great economy there....and thats no joke with what some of this stuff costs.

John
  19. Storm Shadow

Oddometer:
    we are totally different sizez, i got her a medium,when shes a small, and i normally take a xl, its these stretch pannels to make easy sizez from powerlet that do it. nothing else.

who cares if its pink, matches my eye liner and shoes :rofl
  20. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Gotta luv ya Storm.....gotta luv ya. Now excuse me while I go change my shorts.

Thanks,

John the Damp.