2015 Elephant Ride Feb. 14 & 15

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ere109, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    My neighbor, Scooter Scott, just rode in and knocked on my door.
    "I'm practicing for the Elephant Ride," he said. "When is it next year?"
    As I know the rule to be second full weekend in February, I told him Feb. 14 & 15, 2015. I then called Don at the Grant Motel, and confirmed that he's still got rooms available. He did mention that, as they continue construction on Guanella Pass, we may have to ride around some equipment. He also reminded me that this will be the last year to do the ride as it has always been, because they plan to have the road fully paved and maintained next summer.
    That being said, raise your hand if you intend to join us. Then get out in the garage and cobble together a snow riding traction solution.

For those who've never participated in the Elephant, it is an annual overnight ride, camp/motel/Sprinter experience that starts with a huge party, bonfire, and hooliganism, on Saturday, in Grant, CO. Bring some food, drink, or a bike to share, and come prepared to have your bad decisions both encouraged, and caught on camera. The ride takes place when everyone wakes up on Sunday. Then we ride up Guanella Pass, with hopes of reaching the top, and dropping down into Georgetown for lunch.
    We will meet at the Grant Motel. Camping is free, or there are a limited number of rooms available. Either way, be there!
    Don owns the Motel, and has some rooms left, first come, first served. Call him at 303-816-0542.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Actually, this will make it more like it was 20 years ago. They used to occasionally plow and clear the road thru the winter. With that said, recent storms, blowing snow, & packed snow/ice still made it questionable whether you would actually get over. On a good year, we used to ride over to Georgetown for a hot lunch, then ride back to Grant.
  3. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    I bought some chain last spring on EBay. Just waiting for Wudscrasher to come show me the way.
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    bet you can't jump the motel.
  5. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm in Room 1 :D

That time already...seems to come sooner every year. For those that have no clue, it's a blast and the real fun is the night before around the campfire. It's a great time with some awesome people.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tr34XIOGiwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ksZzSoTRE1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Enough booze I'm sure someone will try :1drink And it won't be me I only ride Elk when drunk :rofl
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    If they start plowing Guanella I say we just party at the same place and ride up Webster! :ricky

I'll be there again :freaky

I'll try and remember my chains.. but if I forget them again I know where we can get some Ethan :deal

[​IMG]
  8. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer:
    You Bastards! Ethan, PM me a mailing address, and I'll send you a chain to use as a template. Pretty easy to do, if you know how to work a sewing machine :deal
  9. LaurieD

LaurieD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW, we booked the second-to-last room today. (It's a small motel.)

The last remaining room is large, with a full kitchen.
  10. LaurieD

LaurieD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don is planning to arrange for a Port-A-Potty to accommodate the campers and the folks who come in Sunday morning for the ride itself.

Usually Psycho Steve makes arrangements to collect for the cost of the Port-A-Potty. Last year, Steve was ill and couldn't make it to the Elephant Ride, so my understanding is that Don had to cover the PP cost another way.

I don't know what Don will eventually arrange regarding the PP for this year's ride, but if Steve or someone doesn't collect for the PP in advance then let's plan to take up a collection Saturday night at the campfire.
  11. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there on Sunday as usual. I have a couple thousand ice screws in stock, if any one needs 'em.:deal
  12. Wudscrasher

Oddometer:
    I still did pretty good with 5 rear chains instead of 11:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mzRzKWhF35A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    I'll be in San Diego and Las Vegas on those dates. :deal

Maybe one of these years I can make this ride.
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    2014 We asked for donations, I think most people stepped up. I asked Don and he seemed not to have anything bad to say about 2014 so I gather we were able to gather the cost.

Yep, for sure if need be we will ask for donations at the campfire. :freaky

:clap
  15. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ROFL...that's me headed down the hill at about :51

Note the missing front fender, a result of a moderate speed "oops" on the way up. Never did find that chunk of fender.
  16. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to make it this year. Probably just be on a wr with fresh knobbies, doubt I get around to making chains....

Is there room for campers?
  17. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    Ought to make for the best Valentine's day ever, camping in a snow cave...
  18. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    RLK, bring your Valentine with you, even if she only has two wheels.

Blake, bring your camera, and a ramp. I think we may start testing the theory that weekend...
  19. Wudscrasher

Oddometer:
    My 1st E-Ride was a great Valentine's Day! Had a room @ the Grant, and PsycoSteve anchored the party, still had the place. Had a blast last year sleeping in the back of SUV with Rally, but it wasn't the same. Somehow, I lost my propane tank & heater at the hotel, or it got ejected on 285. Always an interesting experience, the E-Ride!
  20. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    To answer your question, yes, camping is allowed and encouraged - free. I've camped four or five years, but the wife won't join me if she has to sleep in a tent, so I got a room this year.

As always, I'm still waiting for someone to show up with a snow paddle. I'd love to see how one performed.