A Solo TW200 Travels Eastbound WA to MN

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Macadam Drifter, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    Pre RR Comment: (5-20-2011) Originally this trip was planned as a one way road trip just to test out the bike's modifications, the trailer, and to determine the bike's capabilities. Everything worked so well I decided to make this a round trip.

On the way home I realized something was wrong with me healthwise and I had to rush for home. Little did I know, at the time, that I had a life threatening illness and THAT would change my whole life.

Anyway below is the RR as it occurred in real time, some of the picture links need repair, almost all were repaired but in a few cases several comments made by inmates may not be easy to follow since some pictures links inside their comments remain broken. Overall this does not effect the RRs readability.

I want to thank everone who have helped to keep this RR alive.

Mkd

I'm somewhat surprised and humbled by the interest that still remains as others continue to bring this RR back to the first page as we approach the second anniversary of this ride.

As I go through my treatments I'm looking forward to a major ride in 2012 and some local rides throughout this summer.

8/31/11-Recovery is both slow and difficult-but I am starting to think about riding a little locally and I have started pulling out the maps again, nothing significant is being planned but I hope to be out riding more often soon……….

Mkd

Several years ago I bought a TW200-- after reading about a gentleman who took his "TW" from Utah to Alaska. That gentleman is a member of this site known as TheMule, a very meticulous individual, who understood the characteristics of small displacement dual sports.

TheMule's RR inspired me to purchase a TW200-- which I have modified over the last few years to suite my needs. So 1.5 years later, I'm attempting a 2000 plus mile trip from the Kittitas Valley, WA (near Ellensburg) to Wahkon, MN.

The route from east of Glacier Park to Wahkon the roads will mostly be unpaved surfaces.

The Bike a 2007 TW200, is equipped with a Garmin Zumo 450, Vapor Gauge, custom seat, Jimbo's Custom Windshield (thanks Jimbo), AllBalls Steering Head Bearings, and by the way did I mention I'm pulling a single wheel trailer manufactured by Dauntless Motors, known as a Unitrak.

The bike's gearing is 14F/55R (the outer ring can be removed maintaining chainline and changing the rear to a 47----four bolts need removing and a section of chain removed---about 15 to 20 minutes tops and your off).

Below is a picture of the bike::evil

[​IMG]

I'm really proud of this little rig.

Many people worked real hard helping come up with the rack modifications - which was a real Frankenstein, but Dauntless Motors needs to be given the credit for putting the trailer and hitch piece together, and yes they were even willing to work on the mess I brought to them-sometimes I think I would have been easier to start over-and sometimes its hard to let go when you have alot already invested.

The idea of pulling a trailer behind a low displacement bike was my dream, and others helped me make this dream(nightmare?) come true.:wings

The Rider I have been riding bikes for many years, but I have never done anything like this. Most of my riding was done on an old 1969 BMW R69S, which for a long time was my only mode of transportation. In its final years, I installed a Ural 60 Series sidecar, which carried me through many miles of adventure.

For the last year or so I have been exploring Utah and Washington on the TW200. I have done many solo rides through the Utah desert and have explored much of Mission Ridge in Washington State-my back yard.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. PhotoBiker

PhotoBiker Please insert title here

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm definitely watching this thread. That is quite the rig. The TW200 is on my list for a second bike so I am very interested. . .
  3. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving from Fairview Grange Hall in the Kittitas Valley and will need to use US 97 for a bit before being able to work backroads to Wenatchee.

From Wenatchee I will take Badger Mountain Road to Waterville.

Then county roads through Mansfield with a final destination of Grand Coulee.

Picture below is when I got the bike bike in mid December and all I could do is dream :snore

[​IMG]

The first route I planned over Mission Ridge - but conditions are such that taking a trailer over the ridge may lead to delays I cannot afford.

Well that's the start of it. I'm really energized, but I have a lot to do if I can hit the road by Wednesday.

I'm going to use my Spot and see if I can link to Spot Adventure - in case anyone is interested in following my tracks.

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more -----------------same bat time (probably not), -----------------same bat channel (ADV)

MkD
    Mystery Meat likes this.
  5. jamajo

jamajo third wheel

Oddometer:
    :wave

6. mklebel

mklebel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hunt on my family's land about 8 miles north of Mille Lacs, and you're more likely to hit a deer on this trip, than me sitting in my stand. I'm a sleepy deer hunter....

If you have some time to kill, check out Wealthwood State Forest, just a little north of Mille Lacs. If you get to Bay Lake, then take Tame Fish Lake road east, and cross 169 (it turns to gravel) you will get right to it. Plenty of narrow, wooded, dirt roads.

Enjoy your trip!
    Calimari likes this.
  7. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me!

Oddometer:
    :wave Have a safe and enjoyable adventure. Give us lot's of pics and a full TW200 report as well. Many of us love the T-Dub!
  8. barstowblues

barstowblues Use2beFastUntilICrashed

Oddometer:
    Macadam,

That TW will take you any where you want to go. They are great bikes. I have a 95 TW and it has never left me stranded.

Good luck on your trip.
  9. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    I have been out in the shop packing the bike. Tomorrow is repack and lighten the load

I decided to install the Happy Trail Top Box, this makes it easy to get at the stuff I use regularly and permits me to keep the trailer locked until I make camp

Here's a picture of the top box

[​IMG]

Deciding what to take is a chore, like which tent (one is a roomy a four season rig but takes up too much space-the bivy bag though light, feels cramped when its hot out. Sooooo, I settled on the REI half dome, it will be the perfect tent after I cross the Rocky's.

And so it goes which sleeping bag?
    What size tool kit?
    Cookset or no cookset.
    How much toilet paper?:rayof .................

Tomorrow I will spread all this stuff out and decide what is going to go and what stays.

Rule #1---"We take way too much unnecessary stuff" :deal

So I need to think minimalist; but I bet, in the end--- I will take too much stuff.:huh

Well good night and thank you for your kind support.

I will post some pics tomorrow of a loaded ready to go TW200

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Minnesota I Go.

Macadam
  10. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    Current Stops Planned-but not for certain are (in 13 days or so)

Grand Coulee, WA
    Sandpoint, ID
    Trego, MT
    St. Mary MT
    Sunburst, MT
    Whitlash, MT
    Turner, MT
    Opheim, MT
    Scobey, MT (This Montana is really big)
    Westby, MT
    Sherwood, ND
    St. John, ND
    Walhalla, ND
    Washburn Lake, MN
    Mille Lacs, MN
  11. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    How does that one wheel trailer do? I saw those, I thought they were pretty cool. I've never pulled a trailer by bike, but always thought it would be a good idea. Have a safe trip, enjoy yourself.
  12. 2wheelfrenzy

2wheelfrenzy Traveler

Oddometer:
    Have a safe trip! Can't wait to read more.
  13. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Looks like an Adventure for sure...

14. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    Well its been a hectic day and not everything got done. This will delay tomorrows departure time.

Fueled the bike and was surprised at the gas mileage-albeit, it was only a 50 mile test-- in and around town riding==PULLING THE TRAILER I GOT OVER 80 MPG.

I don't expect to see that crossing the Rockys but it is far better than the 50mpg I expected. But by the time I cross the Rockys I will understand this bike much better.

I hope this link below will allow you to follow my Spot Tracks. Right now all you will see are some test tracks (12/31/09 NOTE; THIS LINK IS NO LONGER ACTIVE)

http://www.spotadventures.com/user/profile?user_id=42920

[​IMG]

MkD
  15. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    Well I got almost everything ready this evening-:kumbaya

About an hour or so in the morning remains and then--- the TW "With No Name" and I head out for Minnesoooota.:rayof

[​IMG]
  16. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cool rig!:thumb Good luck in your travels!

17. river_rat

river_rat Perplexed

Oddometer:
    that is awesome...looks like a fun trip

18. Perry B

Perry B Perry B

Oddometer:
    Kool RIDE, you have worked hard putting it together.
    Maybe I should have not sold my TW....
  19. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    Mike, I'm really trying to schedule things so that I can get north with mine when you get to MN. We'll all be watching.

Not to worry; there's little danger of anyone mistaking mine for yours. Not only is mine without a trailer, yours is clean, no dents and no scratches.
  20. Macadam Drifter

Oddometer:
    Got up and found a few things that needed to be shifted around-so I repacked everything this morning.

I like the configuration much better-some pictures this evening.

Now for breakfast and a shower and the TW is on the way.

MkD