Peru folks. I need your input porfavor

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by mopulga, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mopulga

mopulga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I am starting a trip in Colombia in August and will meet my partner in Lima in mid December. She will have about 16 days to spend with me in Peru.

Trying to plan an epic time with her while in Peru. Machu Pichu is on the list as a must do, but besides that, what should we hit?

Any hostal recommendations in Lima and outside at travel destinations are most appreciated.

Thanks folks.
    i
  2. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    The 3 N and 3S are awesome. We came north from Cusco to Canyon del Pato and then to Chimbote, but you can also come from Trujillo and then just do the good end of the canyon up and back. The ruins at Trujillo of the sun and moon temples are good. Caraz is a nice town. Arequipa is also nice. The coast road sucks although South of Nazca it is a bit more scenic. Cusco is stunning. you can buy Machu Picchu tickets at the kiosk in the Peru Rail station in the main square next to the cathedral. You can get train tickets from there or ride to Hydroelectric and walk or take the train from there. The other option is ride to Ollantaytambo and take the train or walk from there. There is a good bikers hostal in Cusco cheap, clean, and great location. The site of Moray and Moras in the sacred valley are cool. It is also possible to get a city pass for Cusco and the valley

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g294314-d319290-Reviews-Estrellita-Cusco_Cusco_Region.html

http://www.cusco-peru.info/cusco_tourist_ticket.htm

Cheers Sara
  3. mopulga

mopulga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Saralou! Very much appreciate it.
  4. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very good advice above from Saralou, the Sacred Valley is absolutely spectacular! I really enjoyed taking the "back route" to Machu Picchu:

From Cusco, there is a nice dirt track to Laguna Huaypo:
    [​IMG]

From the lake, you can continue another hour on the scenic dirt road to the Salt Pans of Maras (there is a small fee for entering private property):
    [​IMG]

And from the Salt Pans, you are only 30 minutes from the touristic ruins and town of Ollantaytambo:
    [​IMG]

And from Ollantaytambo, you are only 30 minutes from arguably one of the best mountain pass roads in the world, Abra de Malaga (at 14,100 ft. elevation):
    [​IMG]

And once you cross the high mountain pass, you are only an hour away from Peru's own Death Road, the cliff- hugging track from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa:
    [​IMG]

And while you are in Santa Teresa, you may want to continue 45 minutes to Hydroelectrica. Why Hydroelectrica? Because from there it is only a two hour hike (or quick train ride) to Aquas Calientes at the base of Machu Picchu:

[​IMG]

Peru in general, and the Sacred Valley in particular provide the ultimate landscape for motorcycling adventure.

Enjoy!
  5. mopulga

mopulga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Poolman! She flies into Lima. Now we are thinking that perhaps a good meeting place will be Cusco. More research needed.

Thanks again for the suggestions. We sat after dinner looking at your report and admired your pictures and report.

I admit, we puckered at the death road. Being two up might be more of a mental challenge, albeit looks like you went in the rainy season. We will be on a pretty packed DR650. If you have other suggestions, please let me know. We also ran across the report you referenced: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541194&page=9

lots to look at there.
  6. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Hi,

We live in Huanuco, Peru, right in the middle of 3N and 3S. I run a moto tour company here in Peru and after 30 years here I can say I pretty much know every corner of the country...

Don't miss the northern and central areas just because of the attractions of Cuzco area. Yet 16 days is VERY little time too see too many places. But DO STAY AWAY from the coast!

I would say meet in Huaraz (she can catch a flight or bus out of Lima), then come the back way to Huanuco (stay with Sara and I) and up the center to Cuzco. Most is paved and just about the right amount of days to enjoy everything. You need more time if you want to get any of the jungle in!

Cheers! Toby
  7. mopulga

mopulga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Toby.

I very much appreciate your suggestions. I sent you a message separately. :D
  8. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Agree totally, but if anyone does end up on the coast, I thought Paracas, with the incredible sand riding and mind blowing landscapes wasn't a bad place to be. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. And then a little further south the most beautiful Latinas in Peru, in Arequipa. Just an opinion.
  9. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Damn, I wish I'd known you are in Huanuco. I agree with this advice, Chachapoyas, Quelap, Huaraz, Huascaran, Chavin, Huanuco, Huancayo, Ayacucho, Andahuaylas, it's all good. 16 days is going to be tough but you'll get to see some epic stuff if you plan it right.
  10. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Misery Goat,

I've only been in Huanuco since last Sept. Where are you now?
  11. Juice_Pope

Juice_Pope Gauchito Yanqui

Oddometer:
    Same here. Don't know why I didn't think to check ADV to see if there was anyone to meet with while riding north from Cusco. Instead I spent 2 days in Huanuco sick as a dog after a bad restaurant recommendation :puke1

As far as suggestions, Cañón del Pato is as good if not better than people say it is. If you're going to be in/around Huascaran and the Cordillera Blanca, I wouldn't go on the roads on the east side of the mountains (between Chacas and Huanuco) unless I was really looking for some challenging riding. IMO the views were just as good when I got to the easier roads closer to Huaraz

I entered Peru via Arica, Chile, but stayed away from the coast for most of my time in the country. There is some good riding on the coast but its interspersed with LOTS of boring straightaways through the desert, whereas the mountains are much more liberal with twisty roads and great views. I can confidently say that the north coast is miserable unless you really like sugarcane fields and flat highways
  12. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm in Arizona no longer traveling and working for the man again. :lol3
  13. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, stop in next time you are in town! :freaky

Maybe come down for the DAKAR SERIES 'Desafio Inca' Sept 8-14?? :evil
  14. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peru is my favorite. But curiously I still haven't been the Machu Pichu which is on every ones must do list. Probably why I haven't been there yet.

Dang there are so many incredible places in Peru. Quelap Chachapoyas..wow!
    But my last journey up to Tarapoto (the city of palms) and to Yurimaguas and the river boat to Iquitos was my biggest adventure yet. I still need to do a RR.
    From Iquitos I rode the riverboat to Pucallpa, one of my favorite non-touristy cities. Spent a few nights in Tingo Maria which is also refreshingly off the tourist beat.

Maybe I'll got to Machu Pichu someday, but honestly I'd rather go back to Quelap, Tarapoto, Tingo Maria and Pucallpa.
  15. J_moto

J_moto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in ecuador now crossing into Peru in a couple days. Looking for routes, good riding, and places/things of interest. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more also. If there is a better place to post please advice is appreciated

Thanks
  16. BobinBahia

BobinBahia Lifelong M.I.A.

Oddometer:
    Depends on your method of travel. Bike, car, plane, train. Since you insist on Machu Pichu, the distance from there to other parts of Peru within the 16 days has to be considered.

Flying Dog Lima and Cusco are standard, reasonable hostals to stay at. Meet travelers, etc. Since you will be entering Peru through Lima, I suppose...

Favorite B&B in Peru: Olazas Guesthouse, www.Olazas.com (Huaraz)
    Favorite small city: Huaraz Lots to see here.

Favorite area in Peru (so far): Chanchapoyas. Kuelop is a reasonable alternative to Machu Pichu, for the experience WITHOUT CROWDS. Ride from there to Leymibamba, favorite little town in Peru, then to Celendin, most dramatically scenic, adrenalin filled ride, so far in Peru. However, the area is pretty far from Machu Pichu, Cusco. How would you connect the two? Best airport access to the area: Catamarca. Nice little city, but a bit expensive.
  17. BobinBahia

Oddometer:
    Came that way couple weeks ago. Check my post on entry through Macará. That is, if the best entry Zumba/La Balasa is as often said to be, wet & muddy. Skip Tumbez/Panamericana. From Macará South take an unmarked detour/short cut in Tambo Grande to Olmos and up the hills to the stunning Bagua Grande-Pedro Ruiz river section; Chachapoyas to Lemibamba best pastoral area seen so far. and Lemybamba, then dramatic, adrenalin ride to Celendin capped by relaxing new untracked highway to Cajamarca.
  18. J_moto

J_moto Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply and info. I went Macara. Easy and not busy crossing. I rode some of the above you wrote. I dropped down to Chiclayo to get a room for the night. Here now still. Heading towards Cañon Del Pato not sure of the route to it and I don't really want to ride the coast down to it so might go Cajamarca then meander on the 3N looks like good back and forth Mtn riding?
  19. BobinBahia

Oddometer:
    Had lots of jungle time in Brazil, Indo, Africa, so a typical dumb question:
    Tarapoto, Tingo Maria and Pucallpa: How would you say they differ from other jungle (Humid Tropical Forest) places you've been to? :ear
  20. BobinBahia

Oddometer:
    Know what you mean. Only Pan-American section I've ridden 90 clicks (enough for me): Huanchaco/Trujillo to the turn off for the bottom of Cañon del Pato.

From Chiclayo, couple good options, with variations.

(1) Chiclayo-Trujillo (overnight Huanchaco)-bottom of Cañon del Pato.

Said to be "unmissable" by many on the forum and elsewhere. It's terrific alright. To do it with as little coast as possible, you need to do it from the bottom up, as follows....

To access Cañon del Pato from Chiclayo, grit your teeth on the Panamericana for 200 kms or so. I followed this ADVr post to access Cañon from the bottom up a month ago. It worked perfectly>>>

"Take the [Panamerican Highway] south from Trujillo. At about the 81km mark you will find a dirt road leading to the left, east, with a sign saying: Proyecto Mankowitch Bocatoma. [Ed note: Watch carefully, gate and guard are on your left and will sign you in. If you are climbing hills by this time, you missed it. I did. Go back..] Take this dirt road for 22km's until you reach Tanguche... Carry on east to Chuquicara. Here you will find a gas station, maybe not a bad idea to top up...[ Cañon del Pato continues ahead ] It is a dirt road, do not take the alternative paved road. The dirt road passes through a series of tunnels (40-something I think)"

(or)

(2) Chiclayo-Olmos-Bagua Grande-Pedro Ruiz-Chachapoyas-Leymibamba-Celendin-Cajamarca>[down to the coast at Huanchaco/Trujillo and do the Cañon del Pato option (1) from the bottom up, above]

If Cañon del Pato is "unmissable", my subjective opinion is the BG-PR and Chacha-Celendin sections are "more unmissable".

Head back to Olmos from Chiclayo, stay overnight (not in "the best hotel", it's shitty). Early start next morning up the foothill switchbacks, then along the stunning Bagua Grande-Pedro Ruiz river/canyon section and stop for fresh trout lunch right out of the trout fishery-restaurant tanks by the river. "Chacha" to Leymibamba pastoral ride is beautiful, and overnight. Leymibamba to Celendin: Really "unmissable". Then a new, no traffic, perfectly banked highway full of curves from Celendin (missable) to Cajamarca.

Then either Cajamarca down to Huanchaco/Trujillo and up the Cañon del Pato (option 1, above). Or skip Cañon del Pato entirely and take the 3N in the mountains to Caraz, Yungay and Huaraz.

You're in for some great riding! :clap