BirdsEye Imagery

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by OceanMtnSea, Jun 25, 2012.

1. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Ok I have been using BaseCamp for some time and decided to try a subscription to BirdsEye Imagery for one year.

My questions are:
    1) I read on some forums that there is a 250MB download limit per image....is this true? I seem to get a max limit of 230MB...................this seems like a pretty small max file size these days?

2) I try to download an image and when the download is finished part or all of the area is gray and other areas have a few tiles of satellite imagery (does not seem to matter if I select standard, high or highest resolution)........does this mean that imagery is unavailable for those gray areas?

Any other tips for downloading Birdseye Imagery appreciated.

J
  2. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you selecting the area you want to load? If using the square/rectangle tool it should load what you outlined. If you use the draw tool it will only load square segments that fit inside the abstract shape you draw. Personaly I would not reccomend Birdsye even if it were free! The resolution on the Montana is useless! The sat view of my home is over 15 years old. GH
  3. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

I am using the square/rectangle tool and when the download is complete it has some tiles (usually contiguous areas) for images, but other areas are "gray" - no imagery available?

When I check the digital globe (BirdsEye uses Digital Globe imagery) coverage website here: http://browse.digitalglobe.com/imagefinder/undo.do
    ....there is imagery available as shown here
    [​IMG]

.........but my BirdsEye download is missing most of the area here?
    [​IMG]

As for other issues.....I have tested it out for my farm and the BE resolution is better than GE, but as I continue to try out BE it really seems to be hit and miss?...........................I wish I could find a coverage catalog for BE on the web somewhere that would show what imagery is available where so it would not be solely based on trial and error.

J
  4. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    I am sure there is something I am missing here that someone else has come across bcause when I Zoom OUT in Basecamp the complete BE imagery appears here:
    [​IMG]

.........but when I Zoom IN it disappears here?
    [​IMG]
  5. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    I think I know what is causing the "gray" areas in the BE images - the satellite imagery is so poor that it can only be viewed at smaller scales (zoomed out) as it is not even viewable at larger scales.

Yup BE was a $30 experiment and it is hit and miss and from what I have seen so far there are plenty of areas with only poor quality BE imagery.

If anyone else has any ideas, or more experience with BE imagery, feel free to enlighten us.

J