Rewiring Euro Headlight Switch?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Helmet Head, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer:
    I just got around to installing the 'European' headlight switch.

Question...

I remember reading somewhere in passing that someone rewired the pins on the Molex connector to change what the switch did (but now I can't find it, and I don't think it had instructions anyway). I would like to do this if possible, to use the switch for my aux. lights instead of the cheap-ass switch they came with (not to mention how high-speed it would be to have them all in one place...:wink: ).

So, the Euro switch has three positions:

1) All lights off

2) Parking light only on

3) Parking light and headlight(s) on

Basically, I would like to rewire the switch so that it would now do this:

1) All lights off

2) Headlight(s) only on

3) Parking light and headlight(s) on

I don't need the actual parking light (what does anyone do with this, anyway???), and could then use the power from the parking light wire to power the switch relay on the aux. lights. So, then when I hit position 3, the aux. lights would come on.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is this ridiculously easy or ridiculously complicated and not worth the effort?

Cheers!:freaky
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    If you have access to a service manual, you can see the park lamp is just tapping off the tail lights. To disable it would take removing the bulb. You could use that wire to drive the aux lamp relay if you want them on whenever you have the lights on. I don't see a simple way to rewire the whole thing. The light switching is done with a combination of both the Euro and the High-low switch. The tails and park lamp are "back-fed" from the H-L switch in lights on position.
  3. Helmet Head

Oddometer:
    Thank you, but I know all that part. I know I read a post where someone had rewired what wires went into which pin to change the functionality of the switch, I just can't find the bleedin' post now...

Anyone?
  4. fridayn2

fridayn2 RFV Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The light switch is 3 position: Off - parking light - headlight & parking light.

The red/yellow stripe wire is common (power in)

The white wire is connected to the common (red/yellow) when in parking light & headlight position.

The yellow/white stripe wire is connected to the common (red/yellow) when in parking light position only.

Parking light setting is required in Europe, hence European headlight switch :evil

spafxer
  6. Helmet Head

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I sent him an e-mail and hopefully he can sort me out...

Cheers!:clap
  7. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    In your OP you wanted Parking light on in #3. He is not . That is what made it difficult for me to figure out.
    Make a wiring diagram and post it when you are done for us to follow in the future. Could get it added to the HOW. :deal
  8. Helmet Head

Oddometer:
    Who is the "he" you're referring to? If it's the guy in the paochow.com website, he does have it wired exactly how I want.

Maybe what's confusing you is my use of the term "parking light" in the first post. I'm not talking about the actual bulb, I just mean the functions of the switch and the power that goes to the parking light (which I would be using to power the switch relay for the aux. lights). Sorry if that wasn't clear...

And, yes, if I get it done, I will post clear instructions for other to follow if they so desire!
  9. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    please do post clear instructions and pictures. i want to do the same thing but i am a bit slow when it comes to doing stuff like this.:gerg
  10. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Yeah, It was your (he) OP that got me confused. I was looking too literally at your request. Yeah post up how you finally get it done. I would be interested in that as well, if a simple move of a couple wires.:wink:
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I was reading thru the HOW and found a little ditty about this mod.
    Did anybody come up with a simple diagram for this? I still would like to do the pin swapping to use the headlights switch for my aux lights. :D
  12. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed. Reading through this, it looks like a very clean way to hook up additional lights. I'd sure appreciate a diagram and/or step-by-step instructions.

HelmetHead- if you hear back from Paochow, I'd sure appreciate it if you posted up any instructions he shares with you (assuming that's OK).

Dad2Bike- I looked through the HOW and didn't find what you were talking about. Link?

Thanks,
    G
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
  14. gweaver

Oddometer:
    Dad2 bike- Got it. Thanks for that. Too bad there's no 'how to' though. The swapping pins doesn't sound too tough. What's got me wondering is how/where the wires for aux lights would attach. When I did the Euro switch, if I remember correctly, it was plug/play in to the factory wiring for the Euro headlight. How/where would you tap in for aux lights? I've got to pull the plastics and replace a leaking valve cover gasket. I'll make a point of checking out the wiring for the headlight, see if I can see any indications of where to tap in.
    G
  15. Hog

Hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On mine I just taped into the blue wire right off the head light,that way your aux. light's will come on with the bright lights. Hope this helps.
    Dave in Reno
  16. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    and to confuse things the EURO headlight wire harness and the USA harness are wired differently (!!duh). I know I am not helping with the primary question, yet.... but if/when fitting HID to a EURO assem AND you decide to use the US harness because you want the EURO harness/lights as a back up for your HID while traveling... you do not want the low beam to switch off when transitioning to high beam. Granted, this has nothing directly to do with the EURO right side light switch, but the way that I got around this was to power my low beam from the "parking" light so it would stay on when the hi beam was energized.

I will have my bike back apart here soon, if I remember to do it and have time I will see if I can write up a diagram
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t talk about the US switch but with the Euro switch you’re going to have problems.

I had to chop and customise a switch inside for it to perform my needs. A euro light switch has off, a continuous live that feed for all positions plus an additional or two closed circuits.

You can use a relay from one closed circuit to operate an open circuit for another and that’s about it without chopping or insulation internal switch contacts.
  18. gweaver

Oddometer:
    Going to take me some time to process all that.
    FWIW, I've got the euro headlight and switch.
    G
  19. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    We have 3 positions.

1. OFF:all lights off
    2. ON-1:park light, tail/brake (if using EURO HARNESS since the US harness doesn't have a park bulb extension)
    3. ON-2:park light, tail/brake and Head light (both US and EURO Harness)

My point previously is: with the h4 bulb that is fitted to the US light fixture, the low beam element gets switched off when the high beam element is selected at the left bar switch (low/high). With Halogen bulbs, their start time is almost zero so its not a problem, but with HID it takes time for the ballast to start the arc and for the bulb to warm/stabilize.

So... for me, I want my low beam light to be ON in position 2 and STAY ON when the low/high selection is changed to HIGH. This way I do not loose any light during transitioning from low to high and back to low. I want position 3 to be main light assembly ON and AUX lighting power ON. I believe that with some mixing and matching of the pinouts that this can be achieved.
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I'm going to scrounge up some M & F Molex pins.
    I have the Euro switch.
    Seems to me that the present Park/tail output pin (6 I think) can be used to drive that as well as the headlights. A Y wire would do that.

Then use Pin 9 as the output for the Aux lamps.

I'll be doing some tinkering tonight. :D
    This would result in:
    Off- All lamps off
    1- Headlights, Park, Tails on
    2- Headlights, Park, Tails on, Aux lamps on