Saw a riders stupidity nearly cost his life

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Nacho911, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my way to work in Banff this morning. Traffic is light. I'm in the right lane with an SUV behind me. I notice a vehicle in left lane slowly overtaking myself. This is a twinned highway. Behind that vehicle i see a male rider on a sport touring bike. He is right up the ass of the guy in front slowly overtaking. I know that's wrong to do, then as they creep by I say to myself, "the bikers spending too much time in the blind spot of the guy behind me". And sure enough the SUV behind me moves slowly into the left lane without signal and pushes the guy on the bike onto the side of the road. Luckily the rider slows and gets out of the way avoiding collision and crash.
    I open my window and berate the idiot cager for his stupid move, then the bike rider gets next to said idiot and verbally let's him have it.
    Both rider and cager are in the wrong. Biker get off the other vehicles ass and set an example for the rest of us. And stay out of blind spots of drivers, they will not see you! Driver check your fucking mirrors and learn to shoulder check.

I'm glad it all worked out safely.

Ride safe YFF
  2. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    A tailgating sport bike? Say it isn't so. :lol3
  3. bigdog1807

bigdog1807 Miles Craven

Oddometer:
    Darwinism...almost
  4. AlabamaGetaway

AlabamaGetaway New 'Round Here

Oddometer:
    Must be one of those days, because a chick on a cruiser merged in front of me today. I'm in the right lane, she's coming off the interstate. She has a yield sign and this is a very busy four lane road. So she merges right in front of me without stopping or checking her mirrors. I was expecting that, so no real trouble, but if she was in front of some sleepy old lady... let's just say her tank top wouldn't have done much to save her. :evil
  5. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

Oh, but it's much worse than that.

If you want to have a good idea of where things are headed, see the movie "Idiocracy".
    That movie was derived from a short story titled "The Marching Morons". That story was
    science fiction, but it is coming true, right before our eyes.

Last year I was driving my car and some guy on a Honda sport bike had been tailgating me through town for
    a few miles, in a 35mph zone. A car in front of me stopped suddenly and I stopped so as not to hit this car, and the guy
    on the sport bike who had not been paying attention suddenly looked up to see the cars stopped in
    front of him. The sport bike rider then locked his front brake and crashed, when he could instead have used less brake
    and dived into the "left turn lane", thus missing the cars stopped in front of him. The rider wasn't hurt, but his fairing was looking
    pretty bad. Luckily the bike did not hit my car.

6. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    wow reminds of of the Hd rider whom passed me in my lane on the right . All it takes is one dumb move to get hurt and dead.
  7. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    Both rider and cager are in the wrong.
    Doesn't matter, "Right of weight" applies.

And stay out of blind spots of drivers, they will not see you!
    We're always in their blind spot.

Driver check your fucking mirrors and learn to shoulder check.
    No point in trying to educate cagers, there are too many and new ones every day. Better the enemy you know. Be aware of new threats, now they all text and drive and tailgate at speed to keep brake lights in their peripheral vision.

My 2 dollars worth.
  8. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed a lot of young drivers tailgating me recently (in my truck, I just smile; on the bike, I worry) and never made the connection.
    That makes sense, explains a lot.
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Ain't just sportbikes. Some doucheknuckle on some POS chopper was tailgating me for about 10 miles on Thursday evening, yet ignored all the passing zones. Then when the road went to two lanes, and I went over into the right lane, the fucking idiot seemed to crawl FARTHER up my pipe. Seemed more intent on scratching his left leg than paying attention to his riding! :huh

Anyway, I was in the Abarth, so at this point, I dropped it a gear and blasted off, quickly passed several other vehicles and then settled down again. Far behind me, I see chopper dumbass tailgating the next car. I do not fucking understand some people.
  10. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I think the new risk we all face is the HUMONGOUS A- pillars in the new cars.

Roofs have to withstand a much harder rollover test and the new cars meet it by beefing up the A-pillar.

Combine that with a slow roll at a stop sign and they miss ANYTHING coming at them from an angle.

Watch for peoples eyes being blocked by A-pillars as you approach them on cross streets and you will see what I mean.
  11. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Checking her mirrors? Don't you mean shoulder check?:deal
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "nearly cost his life"

With a thread title like that... At least provide a face plant in place of a normal every day occurrence. :dunno

:lol3
  13. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But we all read it anyway, no? :roflDrew us in under false pretenses...
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a disappointing way to enjoy my first cup of coffee.:*sip*

Off to the Killboy thread. :lol3
  15. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    So sorry. I already made it B O R I N G ... :cry
  16. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sucked you FKNFKRS in with the title. I hope most read FACEPLANT to support fallen riders and educate yourself from another's misfortune, so you may fair better.
    If only one learns a lesson that helps keep them out of harms way then my karma meter is hopefully up a few points.

:lol3
  17. Sox Fan

Sox Fan SoxFan

Oddometer:
    Best advice I have seen (frequently mentioned on ADV) for car tailgaters when you are on the motorbike is to weave about in your lane or stand up on the pegs.

I am frickin amazed at how well this works. I get this once or twice a week - commuting on a two lane road, no way to go fast or pass anyone yet I get some nimrod right on my ass. Standing on the pegs seems to completely freak them out as they all drop WAY back.
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I spend more time than I like in rush hour traffic on the interstate. I have always tried to position myself toward the center of the lane in order to give the cagers every opportunity to see me in their drivers side mirror. I also never ride in the blind spot off the rear wheel. I am either completely behind, or I get up next to the driver's door so they HAVE to know I'm there.

I was talking with a friend of mine once, who is a certified MSF instructor. He said my technique was wrong, that I should stay as close to the car in front of me and as far from the traffic in the other lane as I could. He said this would give me more time in case someone tried to come into my lane. I told him my intention was to make certain they knew I was there so they would not come into my lane. We agreed to disagree.
  19. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Especially if you drop your pants too! :D

I find turning around and eye-balling a tailgater works wonders. Suddenly it gets personal for them.

As a young rider, if anyone cut me off I'd follow them for a while (often until they started circling the block - not wanting to stop where ever they were going) I'd then ride away, fairly sure that they'd be on the lookout for bikes in the future.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had two cruisers do that to me this past Friday. I was on my DR so they probably needed to prove something about their personal endowment. Both times the passing lane was wide open but they chose to pass me on the right. I was doing 65-68 in a 55 zone once and probably closer to 70 the 2nd time. 2 lane secondary country roads.