Scooters Across America: San Francisco to New York

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jeffrode, Jun 24, 2014.

1. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride well done! Loved the trip, even the cold!

Wondering after reading if the ct70 clone is 70cc like the original ct70 or was this a larger engine? There was a thread here where a guy rode a ct70 clone from Louisiana to Sturgis but I think he had upped the cc's to 120 or 140.

Hope the return trip is just as enjoyable.
  2. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw in one of the photos that the engine on the CT-70 clone says Skyteam on it. That means it's a 125cc. There still being sold:

http://powersportsbest.com/125cc-mo...re-3-5-10in-electric-kick-start-new-body.html

The above one is branded a Roketa, but I understand they are still made by Skyteam. Skyteam makes the ones sold in the US as Pitster Pro also.

Skyteam USA recently decided not to import this model. Roketa and Pitster Pro probably are still importing them though. Here is another interesting 125cc bike you can buy:

http://powersportsbest.com/moped-sc...-5-10in-electric-kick-start-classic-body.html

These are available from other online sellers, but I showed the place with the best prices here. The balloon tired bikes sell, at other places, for up to about $1800.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Jeffrode

Jeffrode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is the 125cc version. And it just runs good.
  5. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the blue TRex balloon tired dual sport above.... Yes, if you buy a Chinese made motorcycle and have it shipped to you, then you do the PDI. Most buyers change the oil before even starting the engine, as the Chinese oil may just be the absolute cheapest oil known to man...or not. Noone really knows. Some even check the valve adjustment before starting the engine also. Certainly check all nuts and bolts for tightness, air tires, check clutch adjustment, brake adjustment, check all lights, check headlight aim, etc.

I would like to consider the TRex for myself, but, I can't seem to find that tire size available anywhere (except through Skyteam, or Roketa, etc). From what I know they wear out pretty fast too. I can just picture it. I buy one, and, when the tires wear out, I can't find them anywhere, so the bike sits. Tires are 5.5-10.
  6. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Birdmove--nice to see you here! I think you should consider the Skyteam CT70 clone after reading this! If it can handle those distances, and elevations, then even the Big Island should be no problem!
  7. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which 'brand' did you get? I know that SSR sells them, as well as Pitster Pro, and Roketa. Skyteam USA has kind of stopped carrying them in order to concentrate on the PBR clone they push (the Grom-looking one), but Skyteam USA is not affiliated with Skyteam China other than carrying a few of their bikes (hopefully that means that SSR, Roketa, Pitster, etc will keep selling them under their own name.

Come to think of it, whoever you used, should refund your money and market the heck out of this thread!! I'll manage you for 15%...
  8. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If my bike can handle it, I want to try the 'Cannonball' motorcycle trip http://www.cannonballproject.com/content/ on my Chinese 200cc enduro. I might cheat and leave from Yuma rather than San Diego because I live in Yuma. Then, I could ride back with you guys, at least part of the way.
  9. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whew!! The big island became an inhospitable environment lately. The damage from hurricane Iselle is heavily concentrated in the Puna District, and that's where we are. Before we lost all means of communications, the predicted route showed the eye of the hurricane literally going right over my house, which is in Hawaiin Paradise Park, which is about 12 miles south of hilo. I have at least 4 big trees from my neighbors property that fell our way. 2-3 fell onto our carport roof; one fell into the back yard; one fell into the tree next to it, and that's what's holding it up. Several smaller trees fell within our property. We finally got power about 6:00 pm last night. There are areas that are really torn up in Puna. Trees laying every which way and power lines down all over. The only reason we still have a driveable 2002 Toyota Tacoma pickup is because we decided to park it in another area Thursday afternoon as the hurricane was approaching us. Both scooters were well protected under the carport roof. But, that roof could have easily collapsed if another tree or two decided to fall on that roof. I was in one bad mid west tornado when I was about 8 (and I'm soon to be 61), which was a scary event too.
  10. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have a little more to worry about than a bike! Glad to read that you dodged several bullets here!!
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta give this a bump after seeing your plans for Scooters Across America this coming summer. Damn tempting. Loved the report BTW.
  12. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just reread the report, real good stuff:clap
  14. WVDingo

WVDingo Guinea Pig

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. I just picked up a Piranha Flashback from wholesalecycle.com out of Akron, OH for my wife. It is a Skyteam. Agree on the oil. I drained and replaced before even turning the motor over. I also put a good spark plug in it. It fired right up and I am pretty impressed with the little bike. I have a 1971 Trail 70 that I am working on for a fellow. Sitting side by side, there's not many differences. Seeing this thread made me feel even better about my purchase. I am really looking forward to many adventures on this. If the wife really takes to it, I'll have to go get a second one.
  15. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contacted them about shipping one to Hawaii. They don't.
  16. WVDingo

WVDingo Guinea Pig

Oddometer:
    Booo
  17. RobbK

RobbK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was pleasantly surprised you went through my hometown Hudson mi its the pic with the old style scooter outside of pickers paradise.you guys were 3 blocks from me.
  18. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back here today. Wish someone would have a cheap scooter challenge ride. $500 or $600 for a Chinese beater + repairs.