Faceplant Question....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Sniperx, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, he still doen't get it.
  2. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    Nope. He's one of them in either a car or on a bike. Oh well.

Hi! I'm Joe Blow! I'm better than all of you, think you all should be like me, and everything you're doing is wrong even in some minute way and I'm going to make sure you know it!

Dude, so you are one of those assholes that drive in whatever lane you chose, don't move over so people can pass and are obliviously incourteous to other drivers/riders around you. You cause traffic, and therefore increase danger, irritate drivers and proceed to talk about it. You probably sit there, in Your left lane, going 70 side by side with a couple of semi's just because you don't think traffic should exceed the speed limit any more than the 5 miles per hour that you deem responsible. And you think that's safe? Sorry, you're wrong. Are you the religious type? Sounds like you could be a priest.
  3. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently you lack reading comprehension. I was referring to a drivers action regarding my reluctance to go considerably faster than I was comfortable on a motorcycle....or any vehicle. This was not an MC evading something or "spirited riding"....this was a prius not being happy with 7 mph over the speed limit when all traffic, including traffic he was attempting to avoid...is traveling at the same or less.

Maybe this is how you treat things on your 2 lane bumpkin roads in little town Colorado....but when your riding on a 14 lane highway in flowing commuter traffic, I have a feeling its a different story.

Eh whatever, I have a feeling you're one of the people I'm referring to...otherwise you wouldn't be so intent on trying to call me out. Ride up behind me, whatever, I'll move over and let you pass...I don't care. In the past week I have ridden by 4 motorcycle accidents....FRESH...as in minutes behind me or in front of me. Constant reminders of how fragile this whole thing is and its not something to be trifled with.
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You might as well give up, you're never going to convince people to change their views.

I have people pass me in the HOV lane all the time, just to sit behind the same car I was stuck behind. It gets them nowhere and just pisses people off. What's fun is when cars lane split you! :eek1 I don't know why they think that getting ahead of me is going to make the car in front of me speed up. He's not and they're just endangering everyone. :fpalm

Whatever. I just let it go. I suggest you just let this thread go and not respond any more. :deal
  5. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite, but why should I move to allow you to break the law? Read the books, learn the laws. On a 2 lane stretch, I will move over right and left to pass people going UNDER the speed limit. I will NOT get out of the carpool lane because you want to go 75. Semi trucks don't drive past the number 2 lane unless theres an emergency or changing freeways...so that shoots that theory. I drive/ride at 65-75 mph...I feel comfortable at this speed. It is also the maximum speed allowed on our freeways...in fact...5-10mph FASTER. I am ALREADY breaking the law...and you want me to further endanger myself and others...because YOU want to drive faster? Its people that drive/ride FASTER than conditions permit that cause accidents that cause traffic.

Nope not religious at all.

Is this all you people do all day? Try to pick on a guy that's doing his best to stay on the straight and narrow and be safe? Are you saying I'm "holier than thou" because maybe you are a little jaded and not "holy enough". Is it sooo hard to believe that someone is/can have fun by riding not-fast and trying to be safe...according to what he has learned and experienced? Is it impossible to understand applying what you yelled at an MC rider for doing or "hiding" and applying that to YOUR daily ride to make everyone happier and possibly safer (IE being where you're expected to be)? IS it possible to have fun within the confines of the law and safety? All the negativity reflects on you and your experiences....I am NOT you. I have NEVER enjoyed going "fast". I am not "lucky" (I always get busted for stuff on the edge...best never to play there). I am not riding a motorcycle for the thrill or the edge....my primary interest was plane-jane commuting. After reading ride reports and fitting the template to my own lifestyle, I can see some adventuring in my future.

Why do I keep coming back to this post? To satiate the naysayers? Prove something to myself? To them? Why does it seem to matter? Narcissism?

Think I'll take your advice Yeti.
  6. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sniperx, I wasn't trying to start a dogpile on you. I was honesty wondering about your real world experiences. You did share some of that. Thanks for your honesty.
  7. dmason

dmason goofball Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll start the dogpile! Eat a dick fuckface! (OP, not the other guy)

You started this thread to position yourself as better than other riders and with a measly 500 miles under your belt you're patting yourself on the back for every reason imaginable? What a douchey move.

I especially got a kick out of his comment that the rest of us are afraid to ride his GS. Try knee on the ground at 90MPH into Turn 1 at Little Talladega. That's what I thought, beyatch.
  8. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Learn the law before you spout bullshit about it. It is illegal, rude and dangerous to block traffic regardless of your speed or any limit. You have no right to try to control the flow of traffic, you have no idea why someone may want to get by you. They may have a child with a ruptured spleen on the back seat, may have just robbed a bank, maybe an off duty cop on the way to stop a bank robbery. MAybe trying to get to the hospital to see his wife or daughter before she dies. You have no fucking idea. Maybe they are just assholes like you. This is why blocking traffic is illegal. Anywhere on the six continents I have ridden extensively on, a good part of a million miles on two wheels, blocking is illegal, and extremely stupid, not just in the little 400 or so miles you have ridden (and fallen) in LA.
  9. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well.. I'm an MSF coach and I can tell you one thing for sure. Noobs like the OP who think they have it all figured are the worst to have in a class.. Just saying...

That being said, good luck OP... I still hope you turn out alright.
  10. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I read it.

Is this thread real?!

(I assumed fake n00b but...)
  11. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I acquired a 1979 naked Goldwing a few years ago for doing some work for a buddy. I had little experience with a big bike, and had never driven anything that heavy. So I learned to drive it around my rather large yard, on wet grass, up and down a steep ramp to park it in my shop, and around the backroads where I live. I never took it on the pavement in the 8 months I had it and made minor repairs on it. I found it to be a civilized and controllable motorcycle, but too much forethought was required. Planning where to turn or park, and carefully balancing it when I stop- I sold it on ebay and went back to riding my old scooter. I think that was a good way to find out if I could handle a big heavy motorcycle. Or if I wanted to. Smaller displacement bikes are not just stepping stones to larger machines. For some of us they are preferable.
  12. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back again....

I was actually very quiet in the MSF course and requested a change from a group with a know it all sport bike owner who kept pushing for me to go faster and take off harder. I knew I knew nothing about motorcycle control and wanted to make sure I got everything I needed and paid for.

Nope, genuine n00b here. Just turned over 800 miles the other day. I tried a little off road...unfortunately the little berm was pretty much beach sand. Reacted a little differently than expected. The front plowed sooner than I would have thought. Oh well....no harm no foul, low speed. Learning...right?

I have been thinking about the attitudes on this board and the constant dichotomy and hypocrisy throughout. A few examples:

Law abiding drivers= Cattle, boring
    Aggressive drivers= Stupid dangerous cagers
    Ride your own ride= A philosophy often spouted, but rarely encouraged in the real world
    Riding the speed limit or slower= dangerous and boring
    Riding aggressive= safe and fun

These are things that EVERYONE who has negatively responded in this thread has demonstrated the above two-sidedness in other threads.

I've SEEN some potential close calls and avoided them. I've ridden close to my skill level (very low) and felt the possibilities of problems in corners, but was easily able to correct the problem and apply it to subsequent trips down the road. I've done a fast stop on the freeway 60-0 in a very short distance, no lock or ABS firing...felt in control the whole time. Watched a guy newer than me (hard to believe) blast out of a driveway in front of me (saw him getting ready a block away and prepped) and grab a hand full of brake and drop it. I'm getting the hang of this whole thing. Last night I had an evening I was probably borderline not riding condition. No drinking, just an off day. I would have parked it, but I was too far from home to pay for a cab or tow. It was just a day that didn't feel quite right...I was relieved to get home and park it. Just something interesting to note when riding.

I saw a motorcyclist swerving while splitting, I'll give him the doubt that he was trying to increase his chance of being seen by waving his light around, but it still looked and awful lot like play.

I get out of the way of a rider behind me when splitting. Manners and self-awareness of how slow I split (never above 35-40)...they may have more courage than me and fit through smaller gaps. I wouldn't want someone like me holding me up in this case (courtesy). Still traveling at 70mph max....within 5mph of the police margin of error....and happy with it.

The GS is getting a lot easier to handle. I adjusted the height more correctly and the damper on the shocks. I've seen what different body movements and weight positions does to the ride. Stopping is becoming natural. Tried riding with the cases on it....it seemed to make it even easier to handle. Still very pleased with my choice.

My comments regarding peoples "shyness" of the GS was more a flip of the tables and possibly a don't knock it till you've tried it direction than a serious "You're a chicken" comment. I am very comfortable on it and have very little concern of the machine or its ability/drawbacks. I still have to see how it reacts with water and extreme emergency, but I'm pleased so far.

Tkent: Its so cute how miffed you get and how you have to justify yourself to me. Maybe all those millions of miles you've been doing it wrong the whole time. I'm sure this isn't the case and I don't plan on looking into it by any means (I don't care that much), but take into consideration maybe YOU don't know what is best for ME. I certainly don't always know whats best for me....hows some puke on the intranets supposed to do any better? Regarding your list of maybes...its BS. Which would you rather have in an emergency? An "obstacle" moving at a constant speed in a predictable path or one moving forward and changing lateral position (possibly INTO a position YOU were hoping to fit into). In any one of those cases....any of the other 7 lanes is more than enough to negotiate an obstacle. Chances are...if they can't go around me...I have no where to move to get out of the way anyway....so....
    I don't do it to be an ass...I drive a set speed, the maximum speed limit posted that conditions allow. I will not risk my person or my "comfort" for someone who chooses to disobey the rules the rest of us are expected to follow...unless they have flashing red and blue lights. You want to go fast...go around around, I won't get in your way of doing that.

I read a CHP statistic a while ago that said each consecutive lane change increases the probability of an accident by 10%.

Heres something else to consider:
    [​IMG]

Justify going faster again?

Did you know vehicles are most efficiently geared to travel at 55-65mph?
  13. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I just say that this thread is embarrassing to read, oh and smoking kills........think of the children:shog
  14. btao

Oddometer:
    I know, it's painful reading about this guy. He's totally clueless. The other posters are spot on too, that he actually violates more laws by doing what he's doing then by "protecting" others by going the speed limit, or his acceptable limit over (hypocrite). Not to mention, increasing road rage in every driver that wants to pass for very minute he sits there. Tell me that's not safe. He belongs in a hospital for the insane. Insane = doing something over and over again and expecting different results. His problem is that he doesn't realize the results are always different but goes about his business with the same Holier than Thou mentality. I'm not talking about the riding. He's such an egotistical :asshat that he had to create this little "blog" to get attention and show how he's better than the rest of the n00bs and doesn't have to follow the same progression of skill. The amount of condescension, presumption, selfishness and disrespect for others is truly impressive. And he's doing it for their own good. Who the fuck does this guy think he is...
  15. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still don't get why its so hard to follow the rules...and why someone gets penalized for trying their damnedest to follow them.

BTW....5mph is within the acceptable inaccuracy of a speedometer, radar gun, and GPS.

I have had 3 accidents in 18 years or driving. 1 in high school being stupid and breaking the rear end loose in my mustang on a left turn and ending up backing into the left turn lane of the opposing side of the street I was turning into. Pretty badass, but the wheels caught and launched me into the rear end of some lady. Learned a lesson there....don't do silly things on the street. Accident number two was at about 18 driving in rush hour in LA. I looked in the rear view mirror for a second too long and rear ended the guy in front in bumper to bumper traffic. Learned to pay attention more carefully to whats going on and make sure you braking capacity is enough to stop your vehicle. Last accident was in a hopped up Fiero in rush hour...I was changing lanes to get out of some nimrod rice burner's way who was trying to race me IN TRAFFIC...and he plowed into my rear end because he switched into the same lane to get around me. Lesson learned: Hold your lane and let the retards pass. Do you really think I'm going to throw out what I've learned and witnessed with "speedy" drivers because you guys say "I'm doing it wrong"?

Let me pose this one to you. If the speed limit is 65mph and traffic is moving at 65mph, why do you feel the need to go 75-80mph? Who is being more dangerous and selfish? The one guy who gets his rocks off through speed and danger....or the rest of the world trying to get home to see their families/dogs/cats/fish/whatever?

Here's another poser: Who is more "insane" (by the above definition) me...or the people in this post who think they're going to get a different outcome from me by their ranting?

In the end as you guys like to say, and I quote, "Ride your own ride".
  16. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many times have you dumped that big pig now, noob?
  17. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heres something else to consider.

In my areas of travel the slow lane is around 55-60mph. It gradients over to about the #2 lane at about 65mph. The fast lane has become the default law breaker lane and the HOV is the autobahn. I'm going too fast for the other lanes so I go in the HOV lane, its also the safest...kinda. In the VW bus, I stick in the slower two lanes unless changing freeways or going into the HOV. Nothing wrong there...you want to go faster, go in the faster lanes. On the bike, I go the speed limit or slightly above...you want to go faster....go around.

Tkent: Only once more when I hit a deep sand berm offroad. How many times you drop a bike in your illustrious career?
  18. btao

Oddometer:
    I'm bored, so entertain you I will...

Rules are merely guidelines to govern the status quo. Without penalty they wouldn't be followed, however, they certainly do not apply to all conditions, drivers and vehicles. Those rules need to apply to everyone in a vehicle, which is why they are broken by many, most of the time.

You comically try to justify your hypocrisy based on your experience as a driver. Do you not think others have had different experiences? I've been driving for about that long and have never been in an accident (other than watching someone back into my car in a parking lot while loading groceries - without insurance - twice). I also put on about 40,000 miles a year on my vehicles. I've raced many things and taken many classes. I have over a dozen certifications and held a racing license for two years. What you fail to realize is that your driving habits are not as safe as you think they are. Your skills are not as good as you think they are and your experience is not as good as some of the people your are arguing against. You do not have the right to judge others the way you do and act the way you do. Until that day comes, you are a hazard to others and should proceed accordingly.

If you want to drive slow, I have no problem with that. Drive in the slow lane with other people going the same speed. If you don't, you block traffic, fail to yield to passing traffic and PISS everyone off for being an asshole. Is that too much to ask? If there is room to move to the right, move to the right. America is way too lax on this. In Germany, where it's legal to drive unrestricted in places, its hefty fines and points on your license for hindering another vehicle when the right land is available. Not to mention you're likely to get run off the road. The left land is ONLY for passing people. Then you by law must move back to the right. There should never be anyone just driving in the left lane.

Would you rather cause traffic, or prevent traffic? Cause or solution. You've already made your choice as the cause of it, so deal with the shit storm.

Just because I want to drive faster than you, doesn't mean I'm a "thrill seeker out to wreck havoc on society." It just means I want to go faster than you. I'm not "getting my rocks off," you tool. I'd do that on my bike in the woods or at my local autocross event.

Your final comment only goes to prove that you're dumb as paint.

You can "ride your own ride" but don't sit there and tell me or try to show me how to ride mine.

You can make up whatever excuse, rebuttal, witty remark you want, but don't forget, you're audience is probably smarter than you. Can't speak for everyone, but it's better to assume that way. It may depend upon the toxicity level at the time. I'm at work, but it's 5 o'clock somewhere :freaky
  19. btao

Oddometer:
    I'll even entertain your question for Tkent. I've fallen over around 40+ times (rough estimate, probably less, feels like more). And hence, I'm a much better rider than you. I've had my Tiger since July. I want to get better faster, so I pushed myself harder.

I laughed at an earlier comment of the guy in the sport bike that was trying to make you go faster during the class. If you listened to him, you would have been better for it. That was the point of the class, which you apparently missed by having this same exact attitude.:deal Congratulations.
  20. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Germany is so hot...why not move there?

I'm not getting out of your way. Feel free to break the law, just do it at your own risk, don't ask me to aid and abet a criminal act and put myself in unnecessary danger.

This is NOT Germany we do not have many, if any (I heard there were some in Montana or something), unrestricted roads.

Why do you WANT to go faster than the law states? Its certainly not to get there faster as demonstrated by my chart.

Sounds like you're the typical rebel without a cause nozzle.....maybe you should get some assless chaps and a sissy bar?

Edit: The dig about the class. You must never have been to one. Dumbshit...its not about being fast its about being smooth and in control. For someone who hadn't ridden before I felt it was important to take my time and fully understand and feel what the purpose of the exercise was than it was to complete it as quickly as possible. As it was...parking lot speeds made it almost impossible to feel and experience counter-steering and other principles of riding. I'll probably never hold another certification or go to a track day or something else like that...it simply doesn't interest me. So you can take all your baddassery to someone who REALLY cares....maybe the squids will be impressed by it....but I'm not.