Maybe a future F1 driver....

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Nov 22, 2009.

1. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    My wife's cousin - Victor Franzoni. He's already won the Brazil Cup in his class and that earned him a trip to Malaysia for the Sepang International Karting Circuit where he finished second.

Here's a link to the qualifying.

Good going kid...
    BikePilot likes this.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    If he can bring aboard $9 million in sponsor money USF1 will hire him.
  3. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    Is that enough? :lol3
  4. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Victor is the youngest driver in his new category, called "Graduados" in Brazil. This category is for drivers from 15 to 34 years old.

Nicastro, who is described as a legend in the Brazilian kart, was defeated by Victor. He´s 29 years old against Victor´s 14.

[​IMG]

Source (In Portuguese)

Translated (rough English)
    tjzondrz likes this.
  5. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
  6. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Has he been picked up by any of the factory teams yet? IAME (Parilla/Komet), Rotax, DAP .... noticed the Birel stickers.
  7. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    He's getting some support - don't know how much though. His favorite uncle sends a lot of stuff from the US that he needs. :evil There's a new chest protector on the way next week. There was a full engine sent years ago - marked on the export form as machined parts. :patch
  8. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    Leatt brace, just in case? Those carts haul ass and do flip once in a while.
  9. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    ...has signed a contract with a team in Brazil. It appears that he headed to Germany for a race.

He just won another title in Brazil.... from a google-translated article:

Victor Franzoni takes the title of Graduates in the Brazilian Kart

[​IMG]

Among the awards season in Sao Paulo will discount the F-Future Fiat and know the work of Ferrari in F1

Florianópolis (SC) 02/08/10 - With a fantastic performance in the final heat of the class graduates, young Victor Paulo Franzoni (ONS / Birel / MegStar / Equal / KartPress) earned the title of Brazilian Kart played in the Arena Sapiens Florianópolis (SC). The competitor repeated what had already achieved in the Junior Minor, but this time, the achievement was obtained in the main class of the national karting.

The story began to be drawn from the free practice, when Franzoni has occupied the top places. The final heat, however, was the most exciting. After dropping the second and dropped to fifth place, the Paulista began an astonishing proof of recovery. Outperformed its rivals, one by one, to cross the finish line in first position.

"This victory was the most important thing that happened to me in karting. I already had the title of champion in the junior category Minor, but in Graduates, the achievement is even more important, being the largest category of kart. This victory is even greater because I have competed with big name riders and more experienced than me, "said the young champion of Graduates.

And much more sacred than to have the winner of the very difficult battle in its class, Franzoni also can celebrate and much to award. First, it will have 70% discount for the dispute of the 2011 season of Formula Future Fiat, a great gateway to the national race. In addition, he and his family may know, the pit, the work of Ferrari Formula 1 team during the Grand Prix of Brazil at Interlagos (SP).

Still celebrating the title of Graduates in karting, Franzoni concluded: "On the prize, I do not know what to say. It will be a great experience to walk Formula Future Fiat and know all the work of Ferrari in a weekend of F1. "

His grandmother isn't happy - school is now on-hold for Victor as he concentrates on racing.
  10. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I believe so - look at a the last two pictures... seems to be a Leatt brace there.
  11. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool, Unk!
    I used to pal around in high school with a champion cart driver. Those things haul ass!
  12. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    Very cool. :thumb

I am jealous for both myself and my son... we really don't have much in the way of decent karting here and I don't have the resources to give him the opportunity I wish I could.
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    His dad has put a ton of work and funds into karting. And his mom - she's actually a trained auto mechanic. She gets right in there and works too.
  14. wkino

wkino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wish him luck. Hopefully he will get a major sponsor in the future.
  15. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    http://www.kartcom.com/en/news/2010/8/28/un-finlandais-aux-commandes-de-l-academie

My French sucks but I believe it indicates that Victor was fifth.

"C'est en effet Niklas Tiihonen, sur un superbe ensemble Parolin/FIM/Dunlop, qui est le vainqueur de l'après-midi de samedi consacrée aux manches qualificatives du Trophée Académie à Alcaniz. Le rapide Suisse (ce n'est pas toujours contradictoire) Severin Amweg conserve une partie de son avantage matinal à la seconde place, tandis que Charles Leclerc occupe la 3ème position. On tient d'ailleurs dans ce trio les 3 vainqueurs des manches du jour. L'Irlandais Conor Dunne et le Brésilien Victor Franzoni complètent le top 5."

He got pretty sick last week - they weren't sure if he'd even race so he did pretty good.

I think the next race is in London.
  16. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Perhaps his favorite Uncle should be planning a trip to Brazil early in November? :dunno

Allow me to be the first to suck up for any possibility of a spare pit pass in the future. :lol3
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Well, I *may* go down in the fall but it'll be for a kayak trip. However, you'll be at the top of the list if he makes it to the US.
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    From the CIK-FIA “U18” World Championships.....

"In the supporting category of the “U18” World Championship, the CIK-FIA Karting Academy Trophy, there is also something new in the air of international Karting. With its thirty-three 13-15 year-old Drivers from as many different countries, the Trophy almost looks like a real Nations’ Cup and, thanks to the identical equipment for everyone, a very warm atmosphere reigns between all the participants, Drivers, Mechanics, parents or accompanying persons. Double winner in Germany, well classified in Spain, the Frenchman Anthoine Hubert goes to the event as leader, with a rather comfortable lead and the advantage of performing before a public who will totally support him.

Behind him, there are nine Competitors who are however still in with a chance of landing the title. Hubert’s strongest opponent could be Finland’s Niklas Tiihonen, who has finished second, third, fourth and fifth since the beginning of the competition. At the moment, the Top 10 is a stranglehold of European Drivers as it also includes the Greek Fillipos Kalesis,the Estonian Hans Villemi, the Briton Roy Johnson, the Swiss Séverin Amweg, the Monaco Driver Charles Leclerc, the Dutchman Max Koebolt and the Swede Hannes Nilsson. But, having taken their bearings in Germany, Drivers from outside Europe are gradually increasing in power. In addition to aiming at a final place in the Top 10, South-Americans, as well as Asians and a South-African Competitor will have a small internal battle to be the first of those who are not Europeans. In this little game, the Brazilian Victor Franzoni has the edge on the Argentinean Federico Paolini, the Chinese Kang Ling and the South-African Michael Taylor."

Here's the site: http://www.cikfia.com/News2010/val_argenton_u18.htm

You'll have to figure out the times yourself but it appears that you'll be able to view the events this weekend via the internet at http://www.cikfia.com/Live/Live_Val_Argenton_U18_2010.html

I'll see if I can determine what time he'll start his qualifying event.
  19. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Victor's new ride:

[​IMG]

Victor's in the Future Formula series now in Brazil - he's the youngest at 15.

Source

With only 15 years of age, Victor Franzoni will be younger pilot to participate of a championship of motoring in Brazil, Franzoni that was Brazilian Kart Champion in 2010 will make his debut in Formula Future in the next end to week (7 and 8 of May) in the double round in Interlagos.

“I am anxious to start the championship. I have walked always of kart to keep the form, but what I want now it is to succeed in the Future Formula” says the young. “My dream, as of the majority of the pilots, it is to arrive at Formula 1. It will not be easy, I know.

If not to give, waits the least to become a professional of the sport” concluded. Victor Franzoni currently is managed by the Novac Sports that is controlled for former-pilot Guto Negrão. “I soon wait to walk in the rhythm of most experienced and fighting for the finish”. it finished the young promise.

(Apologies for the bad translation...)
  20. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    We'll called Victor's father to see if he was in the part of Italy that was impacted by the earthquake. He is but is ok. Victor's on his way to Belgium for a weekend race.

Man - the boy's growing up. I'm betting he's getting all the "xoxota" that he can handle.

[​IMG]

Dayum - boy's got a new ride also:

[​IMG]

The next race: FORMULA RENAULT 2.0 - EUROCUP.

Edit: Victor is on the Koiranen bros Motorsports team. From their site:

Koiranen Motorsport (est 1997) is one of the leading Formula team in
    European Formula Renault 2.0 series. Nearly 80% of F1 drivers been through it.

The team has a respectable history of educating young drivers on their way to
    the highest levels of car racing, as for example Eurocup Champion 2010 Kevin Korjus
    and current Williams F1 test driver Valtteri Bottas.

Koiranen Motorsport is FORMULA RENAULT 2.0 TEAM CHAMPION 2011.

Seems like he's in good hands.