Grim News 950 rider down for good

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by StevefrmGV, Nov 2, 2011.

1. StevefrmGV

StevefrmGV MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer:
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    So sad to read this.

God Bless. :cry

Safe travels everyone over the holiday season.
  3. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    Same guy?
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UxZVdEZcyNk" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>
  4. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    I saw that in the paper and was afraid of who it might be. "Large enduro" could mean anything, but I immediately thought of a 1200 or 9x0. What a horrible thing to happen. I didn't know him at all, but in this small community I know a few who did and it seems he was a real good guy and a talented artist.
    Lets all be careful out there.
  5. OverdeBars

OverdeBars Moto Explorer

Oddometer:
    Read about this in the paper yesterday. I’m sad that he wasn’t able to pull through.
    He was in our thoughts and prayers.
  6. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    Crap! I didn't see this on tonight's website, but I read it this morning and it didn't seem it was quite that bad.

So sad. I only met him twice, but each time we met we talked about the KTMs and local places to go ride. Seemed like a very nice guy.
  7. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    That is him. So sad.
  8. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    RIP Greg. :cry
  9. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Godspeed.:cry
    Just curious. Was it his fault or did the van cross in front of him?
  10. StevefrmGV

Oddometer:
    I know the road, It is a narrow deadend residential road. Cars parked on both sides and it was Halloween evening. He hit head on and was thrown 30 ft. all I know at this time is what was reported. I have friends that know his family, Im sure ill learn more. This is a small community up here, many people are connected in various ways. Greg was an artist ,bulider and muscian. and part of our community.
    A year and a half ago a very good friend was killed by a lady talking on a cell phone while driving, he was on his bicycle. That accident had a large impact on our community. Living an adventerous life is dangerous, but in my book, its living a fulfilling life and I accept the consequneces of the dangers I have placed myself in. Most of the people I have met out there doing things adventerous share the same philosophy. Accept the risk, and live a fulfilling life.
    Take Care
    Steve
  11. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    This is what I know from what I saw that night, from my familiarity with the road in question, and from what I read in the first newspaper story from the day before...

It was Halloween night in town and the streets were pretty busy. I went downtown to watch the football game and as I was looking for a plce to park I noticed Greg's bike was also parked in town. About an hour later (6:40ish) while I was still downtown, I saw the fire trucks going down the hill toward where the accident was (but of course I had no idea what had or was going on). Then more sirens...

At the time of the accident, the sun had already set. The road (Grove Street) is a dead-end road about a quarter-mile in length and it only serves some homes (and apparently he was living in a place on that road). The street in question is not very wide to begin with, and there are no stripes painted on the road. As it was Halloween, there were cars parked along the sides of the road. There is a small rise (vertical curve) in the road and according to the witnesses, Greg and the mini van met head on at the top of the rise. Also, according to the folks in the van, it happened so fast that Greg didn't seem to hit his brakes.

They suspect he was going too fast based upon how far he flew over the top of the van and beyond. Given the fact that it was Halloween night (with kids out everywhere) it sort of sounds like he was going way too fast for that particular road, but that is only an assumption based on the (not-always-accurate local news). The police report made the point of noting that where he hit the mini-van (on the passenger side) meant that he was in the wrong lane. I call BS on that one, because the narrow road (with parked cars) and no lines, I think it is difficult to say that ANY of the two vehicles were in the wrong lane/side. It could have simply been his last-second attempt to avoid the van that caused him to swerve over to his left side. Speed is the only probable fault, given the lighting and road conditions.

One other thing comes to mind: This was the road he lived on, so he likely had let his guard down thinking he was *almost* home. Statistics show that many accidents occur close to home because people are more familiar with the surroundings and they start to think about other things than the task at hand.

They haven't yet said if alcohol was a factor. So I will keep quiet about that.

Either way it turns out, it is a shame it had to happen.
  12. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about Your friend. Sucks regardless
  13. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. :cry
    Always sucks hearing about another tragedy.

Chris
  14. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so sad.... My condolences.
  15. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    So sad. Rip brother
  16. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    Gods speed unknown brother.
    Now is not the time but when the mouning period is over and his near and dear have come to terms with their loss I would like to discuss that youtube clip further.
    RIP.
  17. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    its never good to hear this, in know i thank god i am one of the lucky ones who didnt die when i crashed this spring. i know my crash affected alot of people i know, and all the buddys that were with me down there where pretty much done at that point on the annual ride, plus another group of buddys at another cabin near there were also done. i also thank god that my buddies where right there when i crashed and took care of me, until the paramedics came, and even packed up all my stuff and brought it back to IN and MI. i got realy lucky and i know my gear helped with that. i impacted with a few trees broke a few bones, but ill be back to full spunk here in a bit.

RIP
  18. StevefrmGV

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all your comments.

Im done with this thread.
    Steve
  19. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure hope there is a KTM dealership up in heaven, so he can keep on riding. Ride In Peace.
  20. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was his user name here? Sad news, statistically your more likely to be involved in a RTA within a mile from home...Ride safe everyone. RIP Greg.