garage shelf w/hanger rod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eddyturn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally have a garage to put all my stuff in it but now I cannot find what I am looking for. I have seen other inmates that have bought a shelf unit with a hangar rod built in. A place for helmets and a place to hang jackets and pants all in one. My Google-fu seems weak as I cannot find shit that looks like it will work. Any help out there?
  2. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just at Home Depoo and they have the shelf brackets that have an extra bit for the hangar rod on them. Can make the shelf as long as you need. Should be able to find everything in the storage/shelving area. Good luck.
  4. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Jab said. It is a metal shelf bracket with a hanger under it for a wood dowel. Use 1X12 board or plywood rip for the shelf. The other option would be wire shelving. The brackets accept the rod. Probably less expensive than the wooden shelf. GH
  5. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
  6. Wasser

Wasser Spilt my beer

Oddometer:
    +2 on what Jab said about the brackets at Home Desperate.

Have some in our spare guest room closet. Ripped my own plywood shelves for the tops.

Go to the trim section where all the moldings are to find any length of rod you want. Its sold by the foot. You cut what you need.
  7. eddyturn

Oddometer:
    That Bikertidy looks pretty sweet but I'll be shipping would be really high to the states. I'll think about the HD option but know I have seen some pre-fab shelves before and wanted to take a look at them. The Minister of Finance will ultimately have the final say as we put a lot of extra funds into building the house.
  8. simply40

simply40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    when you do source something, make shre the dowel stock is beefffy, or can be suspended from multiple points along its length . . . . . riding gear is heavier than teh design spec for some of these things . . . . .
  10. fire fox

fire fox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chain link fence rail tubing (available at HD or Lowes) is my favorite closet rod. It fits in standard closet cups/brackets and resists bowing very well.
  11. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I use a grab rail that was originally for a Ford truck tractor. It's chrome and aluminum and looks nice.
  12. eddyturn

Oddometer:
    All good ideas. Thanks guys!
  13. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I use thick electrical conduit. Can't remember if it is 3/4 or 1"...i use that for long curtain rods too

14. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I use the ClosetMaid Ventilated Wire shelves from Home Depot for my gear and helmets. LINKY I really like it because the wire shelves allow air to flow to my helmets so they dry out overnight during the summer. Plenty strong to hold 3 helmets and all my riding gear.

I like Simply40's idea of hanging a shower curtain in front to keep dust and stuff off the gear. I'm going to "borrow" that idea! :thumb
  15. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    For that purpose I used 1" (25.4mm) bicycle stems since the fit the tubes of the "metro racks" perfectly.
    [​IMG]

I got a bunch of them from a Bicycle shop that was closing down and I have them all over my racks, you can use the "handlebar" clamp if they racks are already build (26mm) or insert them into the rack tubes on the "fork" side when you are building them.
    [​IMG]
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

IKEA and good for hanging gear and keeping helmets ventilated.

Jim :brow