The "I'm turning 30 and don't want to" trip...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 06EXTN, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 06EXTN

06EXTN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my meager understanding of time/space continuum...if you're on your motorcycle all day on your 30th birthday, it acts as a temporal shield and it never happens. Right? :ear

So I'm planning a ride the week of my birthday this year, which is April 12th. It's a Friday which is perfect. I plan to work Monday of that week, then head west toward Colorado. The end goal is to be at the summit of Pikes Peak around mid-day Friday. Then, head back east and into my cubicle Tuesday morning. Google says 1,344 Miles, 20 hours 22 minutes. (400 miles/day roughly...youch)

From watching Rally I've always wanted to ride this road and see the sights. I've never been to CO also, which helps.

Perhaps West isn't the best route to go in April however. What say ye, ironbutts? The only other places that interests me would be Key West...I have a friend I haven't seen in forever who lives there and it would be well.....warmer. :)

Here's the basic route plan:

[​IMG]

Suggestions & input welcome...I'd also love to have some comrades along the way if you're up for it.

~Matt
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    If you can hit the Ozarks (northern Arkansas and/or southern Missouri) you'll find some great curvy roads. Not sure if there's time in your schedule, though.

Your route.... it'll get you there, but that's a really boring ride, from St. Louis to Kansas City all the way to the Colorado state line.

I'm not sure about the space-time continuum thing, but I haven't aged a single day since I bought my motorcycle. :D And best of all, my girlfriends keep getting younger. That's a win however you cut it.
  3. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I tried that 2 years a go on April 12th and it didn't work for me.

I would say, record your ride and get an iron butt award. :)

Have fun
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The Birthday:

So you have a job, a motorcycle, and you're turning 30? Sounds like its just getting good to me.

You're only as old as you feel. That may sound like a cliche, but it is true. At 40, I still jump my BMX bike off curbs in my mother-in-law's neighborhood (I keep my 24" Haro there for entertainment when we visit her town).
    30-40 has been my best decade yet, but I'm hoping to top it with the next one. :evil

The Trip:
    Sounds like a good trip. The doughnuts at the top of PP are overrated, and not worth waiting in line.

Very near PP there are some cool things to see. Garden of the Gods is a rock climbers mecca. My wife and I went on a Segway tour there, where we watched a guy doing stunts on a pair of these:
    [​IMG]
    Manitou Springs is right there too. We stayed in a cheap motel, and our balcony overlooked a babbling brook. It has some good places to eat, and a bunch of natural springs along the sidewalk you can drink from. Because of the jumbled geology, each one tastes very different. Very interesting.

About 75 to 100 miles north of PP is Rocky Mountain National Park. I'm not sure what the weather will be like, but if you start in the neat little town of Estes Park, and head west on Hwy 34, it takes you through a really cool twisty canyon and over a 14,000 ft pass. The views are amazing.
  5. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Matt- I can tell you've never been to Colorado.:lol3

It is very unlikely that you will ride to 14,000 feet in Colorado in April. April in the Rockies is WINTER. May in the Rockies is STILL WINTER. Early June above treeline is kind of Spring in a WINTERY way. The day time temps will be getting warmer, but the snow will persist and new storms up high will still be snow, not rain.

Even out on the plains at 5,000-6,000 feet you have a very good chance of being caught in a winter storm until about mid May.

Elevation is everything, the 'regular 4 seasons calendar' does not apply.

.........shu
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right ON Shu.
    Reality bites😫Cold is cold .add climatology to the listed
    meager understandings . Rubbing it in that you are Only 30😄😙😜?
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Hey SB were you not 30 about 35 years ago:evil
  8. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    +1
    Maybe they plow the road ???
    But it would still be cold.
    Great view and road (now paved to the top).
    Did PP and Mt Evans last Sept for my B-Day.
    I'd go to Key West if had 30 to do over again.:freaky
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Accept that the rockies are snowed in-and they ARE!!! a great destination , otherwise. Go to www.motorcycleroads.com & plan a route in the eastern mtns for that earl spring timing for a better trip. "30" is hopefully a blip on your lifes pathway...
  10. mnesci

mnesci Adventure Dad

Oddometer:
    3 year ago I hit snow off of I-70 west of denver at about 10000 ft ........31 degrees and slushy snow in mid july......not a fun ride
  11. 06EXTN

06EXTN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all - so Key West it is! I'll post a new map to see what you think. I'll go for a more "interesting" than "direct" route this time. :D

I'm really bummed they don't allow motorcycles on the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West - that would be a fun loop with a 3+ hour boat ride in the middle.
  12. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    To quote my Dad
    "You'll never feel any older that you do today. It's just that stuff quits working as good."

At 63 now I would have to agree... I'm forced to grow old but not grow up!

From about a month ago :evil
    [​IMG]

Gerg
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That would be an ideal time to see Key West, since the humidity won't be too high.
  14. cu260r6

cu260r6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in CO Springs, at the foot of PP. We get about 1ft of snow ANNUALLY in town here, if that. You may get caught in a horrible storm, but the odds are heavily against it. This 29 yo says go for it buddy! :D
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MotoGP Austin, April 19-21, 2013

If you can de lay the trip a week you can ride your moto to a moto race in Austin , Tx. And likely miss the snow and cold.And Kansas.
    The milage will be about the same.