First rides, farkles and fixes: show off your bike here!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Supahflid, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get the hottest new bike or a steal of a deal on a well run-in used bike? Have you added the fanciest new tire or GPS cradle? Know how to tear down every conceivable motor known to man and are able to put all back together, make it run better than before and even have pictures to prove it? Well here is the place to show off!

I'll start.

I just purchased a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure and would like to share my initial impressions after a thousand or so miles of mostly asphalt.

Engine:

Mother of all things holy, the LC8 is an absolute beast. Even in sixth gear, jumping in to the other lane to pass is no trouble. I am looking forward to seeing how it does at slower, off road speeds.

Transmission:

As impressive as the Tiger 800XC transmission is, I think the tranny on this bike is just about as good. It's not in the least bit clunky and generally shifts smoothly.

Electronics:

Everything seemed to work smoothly. No troubles so far. I like the power point on the dash.

Ergonomics:

The seat on this bike is fairly stiff; not uncomfortable in spite of that, but after a couple of three hundred mile days, each cheek muscle has a nice sore point on it right where my butt bones are. The seat seems to follow the shape of the bike pretty well, so it is fairly narrow which doesn't interfere with my legs wrapping around the bike. I think a wider seat a bit back from the gas tank area would fit me better. Losing some weight would definitely help too.

The pegs are set too far to the inside of the bike. The insides of my knees are sore from rubbing the gas tank since I was standing up so much to alleviate my butt pain. I see that many owners of this bike install foot peg extensions and I will likely do the same.

The bars are almost a little to far away from me; I can't decide if I like their positioning or not. I usually have this problem; I am six foot one inch, with a roughly thirty two inch in seam; I guess it's my short arms that keep me from reaching the bars just right; think similar dimensions to a T-rex. I will probably put risers on it.

The wind protection on the stock screen is non-existent. I don't mind full force wind nearly as much as the horrible vibratory effect I got on the Tiger. It's not a Harley after all.

Overall performance:

The bike seems to fit me rather well. Even though I feel the weight of the bike down low, it's manageable. In fact, I really didn't realize how heavy the bike is until early on in the trip, I had to cinch down on the brakes pretty hard a couple of times because I didn't give myself enough room to stop. It is a heavy bike, but definitely not heavy like a GS. I am looking forward to getting this beast off road and getting comfortable with it.

The Scorpion 50/50 tire did just fine on the asphalt. They seemed to be o.k. on gravel, but we didn't ride much of that. I am contemplating changing to a more aggressive off road tire for our CO/UT trip.

Gripes:

The dust cover jammed on the right hand fuel filler neck. I had to have fuel, so I pried it up until it broke. I'm sure the dealer will take care of it, but I noted that the demo bike had the same problem on the same side. Hmm.

I did read enough of the owners manual to figure out that there were fuel taps on both of the tanks. What I didn't realize after running out of gas trying to make the bike get more than seventy miles out of a fill up was that both taps needed to be turned on and hadn't been when I took delivery of it; dummy. Fuel mileage doubled after that and the gas in the right tank started disappearing!

The fuel mileage on this bike isn't going to be that good. Thirty-two-ish miles to the gallon and it only holds about five gallons of gas.

The battery is under the skid plate. I know: I was warned about the maintenance and difficulty of getting to things.

I am very pleased with this bike so far and if the past is any indication of the future with the bikes I've owned, the poorest performing part of the bike will be the rider.

[​IMG]
  2. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    My impressions of supah's new KTM. (Note: I only rode it on asphalt for 20 +/- miles)

The engine is STRONG!

The clutch, transmission, and the delivery of power to the ground is smooth as silk.

At 6' 5" the pegs are in an odd position for me. They are a little far back, too high, and not wide enough. (There is probably an aftermarket peg that would solve these issues)

Overall it felt like an incredible bike. I made the comment to Supah, "it feels like a small bike with power oozing out of every part of it.

The KTM 990 is definitely still on the short list of bikes I would like to have.

:thumb:thumb
  3. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    My impressions of Supah's new KTM:

The pics look nice.

That is all I know. :cry
  4. Supahflid

Oddometer:

:scratch Um, you know I'm a little slow sometimes. Whatchu drivin at?

This thread isn't just about my bike. Show some pics of your new ride and the changes you have made!
  5. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    I'll add to it.

[​IMG]

Going tomorrow to see about getting the new mod brackets made.

I'm trying to budget to get my tire ordered along with a few parts I need. Like a mount for my right mirror that replaces the clamp part for the front brake master cylinder, and a hydro brake light switch for the front brake.
  6. Trophy1298

Oddometer:
    Recently purchased a 2008 (yes Supah 2008) Tiger from an inmate here.

I put over 700 miles on it Saturday and have a few things to say about it.

1. It has power to spare. Was pulling the front wheel in 2nd gear with little effort and felt like it could pretty much throw me off were I not paying attention.

2. I had been asked about heat coming off the bike and being hot on the rider. I didn't notice any issues like that. Even in the heat there did not seem to be a problem like was mentioned.

3. Comfort, HELL YES! I have ridden about every kind of bike. Until now the 1998 Triumph Trophy held the "Most comfortable" honor. Well, the Tiger pretty much kicked it's ass. I seldom had to move around to be comfortable, my ass was not sore and is not sore today, and my knees and back are great too. If you have ever ridden 500+ miles in a day, the fatique in your ass, back, and neck can be annoying. None of that here. Seated position was just right for me, and after playing with the angle of the bars the week b4 this ride, it seems dialed in just right.

4. Buffeting.... Pretty bad. I had to keep my head in certain positions to keep from feeling like it was Tyson's speed bag. not sure what the fix is for this. On my Trophy it was never too bad, but went away completely with a taller screen. I may ride this bike without the screen next time around and see how that is. In playing around on the road (putting my hand sideways on the top of the windscreen, it seems I need about 2 or 3 more inches (story of my life) to stop this problem.

4. Handling. Like a dream. It is stock, but I have played around with it a bit. Not the best I've had, but really good. Very little dive, will hold a line pretty good and the drift is predictable. Not planning to change anything there.

5. Headlights. One word, SUCKS. If it had not been for those Strom lights, I would have ridden with the brights on all the way home. On low, the Tiger makes what looks like the smiling mouth of a clown, and is about as useful. Total darkness less than 100ft in front of me. On bright, you can see forever, but the low beam is about as useful as a third testicle. Or so BW tells me.

6. Gas milage, even with the screwing around and such, never got below 46 MPG on a tank. Even had 50.3 MPG on one tank. That means I was having to put gas in about every 220 miles. Although we seldon rode straight thru a tank, BW's Strom seemed to be kicking my ass in that department.

Overall, the Tiger is a great bike. I think it will be in the garage a while.
  7. Trophy1298

Oddometer:
    Haha. Was just stating I havn't seen or ridden the KTM, that's all sweety.
  8. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    :clap
  9. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    I was asking with a smile cause I figured that's what you meant! Anytime you wanna ride, I'm just a phone call away. Wait, I gotta do the first oil change, so it might be a month or so (you tried to tell me!).
  10. Trophy1298

Oddometer:
    Well, yesterday solidified my love for the Tiger BTW. It needs an oil change too. What weight were you using in the Tiger, and did you use full synthetic?
  11. Supahflid

Oddometer:

I put whatever Wayne told me to put in it. I should have a part of a jug of it left over, so I'll find it and let you know. BTW, I'll know it when I see it cause it's the only bike I've put synthetic in in my garage.
  12. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    Mobil 1, 15W-50.
  13. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    My first farkle for the KTM, a skidplate and sidestand beefer upper:

[​IMG]
  14. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    Recently purchased a 2004 Wee Strom...

I put over 700 miles on it Saturday and have a few things to say about it.

1. It has adequate power for my intended uses. I could be cruising along in 6th gear, change lanes and roll on to pass cars with ease on two lane roads...

2. I did not notice any heat problems... Did have some buffeting and I'm not sure if it is from the Givi aftermarket windshield, my new helmet or the funky hand guards on the bike that seem to take a direct hit from the wind...

3. Comfort, OH YEAH... Coming from a KLR, the Sargent seat was great for the first 500 miles, but I think being in wet jeans may have skewed my test a little...

4. Buffeting.... A little head vibration over 60MPH. Will try putting the stock windscreen back on or adjusting height.

4. Handling. Like a dream. Well, almost... It had been lowered and this caused some problems. But as of today, it is back raised and feels much better. With more miles, i know how much this helped...

5. Headlights. One word, AWESOME!!! Better than my F150!!!!

6. Gas mileage, I have not calculated it yet, but did keep a mileage log and will add it up tomorrow. It appears I was in the mid to upper 40's in rough guestimation.

Overall, the Weeeeee is a great bike. I think it will be in the garage a while.

----------- :D

the bike came mostly fully farkled:

Hepco & Becker 37L side cases and racks.
    Motech crash bars
    heated grips
    custom hand guards (will probably have to go, did not like)
    Sargent and stock set
    Givi and stock windshield
    New Chain and sprockets
    Lowering links and shortened side stand (going up for sale or trade in FM soon)
    Skidplate (don't like the design and will be offering for sale when I get a new one that covers more)
    Almost new Tourance tires
    Center stand
    etc so forth and so on....

I likes it!!!! :clap
  15. Trophy1298

Oddometer:
    Something tells me you will have over 100k on this bike b4 we know it. :thumb
  16. CrashDummy

CrashDummy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new 2011 Ninja 1000. I've only put about 800 miles on it so far, mostly commuting and a ride to Yazoo to see family this weekend.

Lots of power, but I think they could have saved money by leaving out gears 2-5. Once you get to 6 there's almost no need to downshift until it's time to stop. I've slowed to about 35-40, rolled on the throttle a little and was right back up to speed.

On heat, I've noticed that it puts off a little more than my Strom, but not as much as the Benelli did.

The riding position is pretty comfortable, but the seat isn't as plush as the Strom or as fitted as the Benelli. My ass is ready for a break after an hour. I'll definitely be looking into a Sargent or Corbin.

No buffeting problems, windshield doesn't see much different in high, medium, or low position. Probably going to buy a bigger one to put on when it gets cold again and for longer rides.

Handling: oh yeah :thumb

Headlights, not sure. I haven't been out where's there aren't streetlights after dark yet.

Gas mileage has been between 32 and 37, averaged 35. Usually need to get gas somewhere around 130 miles. I think it would be closer to 39 or 40mpg if I could keep the speed in double digits. :lol3

Planned farkles:
    better seat
    touring windshield
    GPS mount
    hard luggage
  17. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    It looks like a great bike! Can't wait to see it!
  18. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    MotorCyclist magazine named your bike the 2011 bike of the year. The article showcased a bike that was the same color as your bike. Very pretty and sounds like the two of you are bonding rather well!
  19. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll play. I got a 2011 Tiger 800XC ABS from Capitol Sports back in April. I absolutely love the Tiger. I have 3 other bikes & have not even cranked them since I took delivery. It handles like a sportbike on the Tarmac. Offroad it is still impressing me everytime I ride. One day me & nanohiccup rode in the pouring rain for 10hrs including a deep mud hole that we went thru twice & the Tiger did not miss a beat. The stock windshield is more of a fairing than a windshield, but in this heat it's fine. The whole bike can be described with one word "SMOOTH".
    My list of stuff:
    15th front sprocket (down from a 16th)
    Front fender extender
    Center stand
    Engine guards
    Sump guard
    Oil filter guard
    Headlight guard
    Jesse luggage
    Micatech top case
    Mud sling (home made)
    Karoo T rubber
    Throttle lock
    Highway pegs
    Givi windshield (for long trips & cold)
    Seal saver wraps (Velcro type)
    Shorty levers (waiting for some real handguards before I install)

I think thats about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    I bought a Banana. I like it.

It flies.