DT400 Shocks, Rebuildable?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Inane Cathode, May 9, 2013.

1. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Wondering if these dudes are rebuildable. Kinda hoping they are, pretty rad vintage look to them (and a whole lot cheaper than buying new ones ><)

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Also, i appear to have the 'old type' exhaust baffle. Looking in the exhaust end i can see the turbine-y thing down in there, but the baffle end is only about 4 inches long, and i dont see any way i could possibly wrap it with packing. I'm assuming this kind doesnt actually have any packing in the end, is that correct?
  2. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
  3. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    Well, while i'm waiting for them to decide im worthy to look at the rest of the forum, i went ahead and took apart the LH shock (spring off, i guess thats taken apart enough!).

It looks to me like there is an escutcheon nut that's covering the seal. It looks like if i had the right tool i would be able to unscrew that nut, uncover the seal, and at that point i could just find the right size seal to replace what's under there.

Unless im totally overlooking something, like how much and what kind of oil to refill it with, and how do you slide that seal off if the top shock eyelet is still on the shock piston ><
  4. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of freshly rebuilt Thermal Flows for sale. $80 to your door. I just rebuilt them 2 weeks ago with new seals and paint on the bodies. The springs do have some pitting but they actually cleaned up pretty good. They have all the correct plastic sleeves and nylon spacers from the factory which are hard to come by. The seals are not common and hard to come by. They are for a DT400 and are the B54 series. Fresh Bel- Ray oil. I have about $80 into them and don't need em. Send me a PM if you want them. Cleaning out my shop of stuff I don't need.

The Yamaha Enduro site is hit or miss. It pisses me off and I am a member. Their website format sucks IMO.

Here's the shocks. Old seals are above the shocks.

[​IMG]
  5. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  6. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    So does anybody know of shocks that will work on a 1976 DT400, for d/s riding ?
    I searched and you get a ton of sites that say it will fit but who knows for sure ?
  7. Inane Cathode

Oddometer:
    There's a bunch of room around the shocks, and they're generic 1970s enduro sized. As long as the length is about right i can't think of a whole lot of shocks that wont work. We've put hagon shocks on a customers scrambler that im pretty impressed with, handling wise.
  8. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Any info on direct replacements?
  9. KennyV

KennyV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check ebay for correct length Redwings. I have had close calls with clearance between shock / spring and rear sprocket and chain. Something to watch for.
    concours likes this.
  10. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    YAZI brand shocks I bought a few years ago are incredibly light-weight compared to the KONI's they replaced on my BMW street bike.
    Some years and too few miles later, the shafts remain clean and initial adjustments are unchanged.
    Not expensive.
    concours likes this.