08 GSA rear spoked rim Bad Again!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by WOLVERINE, Oct 6, 2008.

1. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,

08 GSA 9000kms and bent/out of round rear rim from the get go, replaced once, still the same. Dealer( who has be fantastic to deal with) ordered a 3rd one which came in the same/worse is ordering a 4th for a final attempt.
    I cannot believe the QC on BMW's part. How can 4 rims all be out of round and bent from the factory. It's inconceivable that this is happening. :huh
    Has anyone else had this problem with the rear rim this way as I have only read issues here with the front? The vibration from this is frustrating and if left this way would, I'm afraid, lead to a FD failure.
    Anyone having similar issues know how to resolve it?
    If the 4th comes back the same way, what should I tell the dealer to do?
    What are my options?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    They keep track of warrantied parts, and it may eventually register that hey.. how come so many rims are out of true, so be sure to check the wheel out before you drive off and you get blamed for bending the rim. BMW doesn't make the wheels, they buy them from Behr. You'd think Behr's QC would be a lot better than this. I had 1 rear spoked rim that was so out of round, it visually wobbled and was replaced under warranty.
  3. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    How many times can the dealer request a new wheel from warranty? This is #4 for the same bike. Won't that in itself raise a red flag, or do they have to justify the next wheel? They are the ones who are making the decision on a bad rim and stopping it before it gets to me.
  4. VIPER6

VIPER6 VIPER6

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's getting close to a lemon law issue, no? I know you just want it done right, but this is rediculous!

5. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    I had a rear replaced under warranty too. Too bad you can't send it to Woody and have BMW foot the bill.
    Maybe something in the shipping container is bending the rims??
  6. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    3 times for the same issue left unresolved is usually Lemon Law territory
  7. JSD

JSD old and crumbly

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong but I dont think the Lemon Law applies to motorcycles.
  8. Vec

Vec Has adventure hangover

Oddometer:
    It applies in most states, but it does depend. In this case I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Think of it this way... the lemon law is for vehicles that can't be fixed for some reason. They are forced to give you a new one that'll hopefully work. The problem is that the wheels come from the same place that didn't make the first four right! :rofl

I got lucky with mine up 'till I actually bent it myself. :1drink Now Woody's built me a new set and I'm as happy as a clam.
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Yeah - check your state laws for your rights and options.

A friend's '07 GSA had an out of round wheel as well. Replaced under warranty.
  10. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the rim comes from new stock out of true, it is not a warranty issue for that motorcycle. It is a parts claim for the dealer.
  11. Buccleuch

Buccleuch I'm just a bean, trying to get some sleep... Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you take it into the dealer this time, tell them to take a new wheel out of the box and check the wheel for runout and true immediately, before even mounting the tire or putting it on the bike.

If it's not true out of the box, it'll never get true on the bike.

And if it's not true, tell the dealer they can send the wheel to a real wheelsmith and get it fixed. That's one of the problems with these wheels -- they're made by machine, but their complexity is such that they should really be laced and trued by an experienced wheelsmith to get them right.

WA.
  12. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    I shipped them my wheel as I live too far away and they changed it out for a new on but when I received it, it was as bad as the first one. I informed them and they requested the wheel back so I sent it back. They confirmed the condition and ordered a new one which in turn came to them in as bad condition when they checked it right out of the box. So they informed me and would not mount the tire. # 4 on order to see if it happens again. Hope #4 is the charm. If not I will request to have it sent out to a wheelsmith but don't know if there are any in Canada. Anyone?
  13. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    Spoke with dealer and he got #4 rim in as bad as the others. Soooo, that's 4/4 out of round. He told me he had another GS in for service and he checked that rim to find the same. So I feel ALL GSA rims bad this way and was wondering if this in and of itself is maybe putting stress over time on the FD bearing and causing the failure. Anyone with a FD failure have a bad rim? You may want to check it!!!
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Damn that sucks. Time to send them off to Woody!:deal

Probably not all bad, though it seems there is a lot of bad ones recently.

There are plenty of failures on the cast rims as well, and I don't know of any bent from the factory.

Jim :brow
  15. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    That's quite a stretch, IMO
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cut to the chase, send the new wheel directly to Woody's. I was at his shop this past summer and he's got quite the setup. He'll get it trued right.
  17. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I bought a new set of GSA black rims 2 months ago/13k on them and they are perfect. Did I get the only good set? I doubt it!
  18. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    My front wheel was out-of- round and replaced under warranty on my 07 GSA last year. Rear wheel is still OK.
  19. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    i've had a similar problem with both my bikes. an '06 GSA was delivered to me with an out of true front wheel and was replaced under warrranty. no problems after that. and then a year later, i bought an HP2 and it was also delivered to me with an out of true front, which was replaced 3 times :huh :eek1 and still the 3rd wheel is not 100% :puke1 i've had to true the 3rd on my own as the dealer told me thats the best he can do :fyyff
  20. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    I'm not the only one having troubles and I know it's a stretch in the correlation between FD failures/rim vibration but I don't want to have to source out a rim to be fixed by a 3rd party and have to foot the bill when It's not my fault. I payed Good $$$$$ for this bike and I expect good quality. If the rim comes back not perfect I WILL send it to Woody's over the next few months anyway just cause the vibration is annoying and I don't want any problems to develop because of it.

"That's quite a stretch, IMO" "biggziff"

I have a toyota truck that a local mechanic didn't mark the shafts to the yokes and put it back together with a vibration. Try as I might, I couldn't get it back the same way and over a period of 3 years and with this slight vibration I lost the rear main seal and pinion bearing. So I'm not saying this vibration IS causing the FD failure but if left unchecked on bikes with bad rims COULD lead to a FD failure...The driveline can only take so much punnishment!