Garmin and Mac's? Available YET???

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by rluczak, Apr 21, 2006.

1. rluczak

rluczak Bemused

Oddometer:
    Hi all -- I've been on hold with the Garmin tech support line for about 30 min's now and have to run to a mtg. Can anyone tell me if Garmin has begun to offer the Mac-compatible GPS's it mentioned in a prior press release? Thanks.
  2. BrklynDakar

BrklynDakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    ...and we're a long way from "...the end of 2006." :cry
  4. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    The end of the Mac is here. Seen the new MacBook Pros? Intel processors and they run *WINDOWS*. Sheeesh. And this coming from a guy whose first computer was a Mac128k. And has a house with a dozen computers it in - 1/2 Windows & 1/2 Macs.

I was "this far" from buying a MacBook Pro tonight. Spend 1/2 hour drooling over it in the store. And then just thought real hard about it. The end of the Mac is here.
  5. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, buy a REAL computer

Mac is old technology
  6. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    To me, its just another benefit that you can run windows on a mac. I do video editing, web stuff, photos..anything fun on a mac. Then boot to xp or fire up my work provided laptop to run windows.

I think the mac will continue to be around as long as windows keeps sucking. But windows sucking and being prone to hacks and spyware, etc. pays my bills to a certain extent so more power to Bill Gates and his mess :evil
  7. Stromtrooper246

Stromtrooper246 Lost again

Oddometer:

Where does it say they run windoz?
  8. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:

Google: Boot Camp
  9. Stromtrooper246

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is pretty cool. Not that I want to run windows though. Now if only I could run the Mac OS on an HP laptop.....:ear
  10. dynamos2000

Oddometer:
    you can. You will have issues depending upon the network card and maybe video, but you can get OS X to run on it. My boss has OS X running on his Dell laptop (intel developer edition, works fine..just got to be patient on install issues)
  11. Stromtrooper246

Oddometer:

Really???? Now you have my attention. Is this running in emulation?
  12. dynamos2000

Oddometer:
    Nope! private message me your email address and I'll send you what I know
  13. Stromtrooper246

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  14. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that you talk about this OS X on a windoze box it does make sense. OS X is unix based and people run Linux on windoze boxes all the time.
  15. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

not following you. So what if you can run Windows on it? Why is that bad? What's wrong with Intel processors? Is there moral superiority in IBM/PPC processors, or SPARC processors, or MC processors? Were you devistated when Apple switched from MC processors to IBM processors?

Don't like Windows? Don't run it on your Mac.
  16. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    I'm the least bigoted Windows guy you'll ever meet - but for years and years and years Mac guys have been touting how cool Mac were because they *don't run Windows*...

ah, guess what? they do now. isn't that a tacit admission by Apple that people want to run Windows? It isn't like Microsoft has come up with some "fix" to make Windows run on a Mac - Apple itself has come out with the ability to make Windows run on a Mac. How 'bout that.
  17. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

I think you don't really understand what happened. Apple switched processors. A nifty byproduct of that is the ability to run two OS's on the same machine. If Apple had wanted to sell this machine with the ability to run Windows they would have announced that in the initial Macbook press release. They didn't. Only now are they saying that they will support it. After the fact.

That to me says that the thinking is, "People are going to do it anyway, so hey, why don't we support it and use the capability as a marketable feature."
  18. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Dude - that is so far from reality it makes my head hurt. Apple completely went out of their way to create //bootcamp to support bios emulation that would make windows think it was a windows machine.

Perhaps they did it before somebody else did? Who knows. I just can't imagine how this will help Apple sell more machines. Wait, let's convince people that they can run OS X *or* Windows on our hardware! Wow, what a great idea. Until people realize that the standard intel hardware costs a lot less than Mac IntelDuo hardware.

Apple has made huge marketing blunders for the last two decades. This is just the latest...
  19. Stromtrooper246

Oddometer:

At first, it was said that Windows would NOT run on the Intel chip Macs but someone put up reward money to figure out how to get the Windows OS to boot. I suppose Apple knew how to do it all along and after the "prize" was won, they came out with Boot Camp.

The trouble with the Mac O.S. running on it's Intel based machine is that there are not many apps that take advantage of it (read: Run natively). So far, most programs are running in emulation. The new hardware is pricey even for Apple and somewhat limited, no Firewire 800, single layer DVD support, and a smaller screen than the Powerbooks. I liked the option to run either OS, especially before Garmin announced Mac support.

What I would really like to see is Apple license the Mac O.S. to run on any Intel based machine. I know they tried this in the past with other PowerPC boxes (remember DayStar & Umax?) but there was limited support from Apple. Now that the OS is built on a Unix kernel and it is open source, it should be much simpler for it to run on any other machine, right?

Like I said before, I'd love nothing more to have a duel boot-able HP DV8000 series laptop and be able to run things like iPhoto, Aperture, Mail and other Mac apps.
  20. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    still not following you. let's say I buy an Intel Mac, because I want to run Mac OS. I want to run Mac OS because I think Windows sucks maybe, doesn't matter why. Oh, and look, I can run Windows. So why would this make any difference?

and why am I responding to you? that's the big mystery.

Oh yeah, look at Apple's financials. Lots of marketing blunders all right. Only a 68% gain in revenues.

But back to Intel procs: they have lots of drawbacks, for sure. What burns me is that the promise of faster, cheaper Macs ain't happening.