Screen cleaning

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by beemer67, Sep 14, 2008.

1. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    Simple question. What do people use to reduce dust buildup on screens in off-road conditions?
    I get dust, use my glove to wipe, put think this is compounding the problem with more static.

Unit is a Quest
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I have a generic OfficeMax PDA clear screen protector on my 376 and 60 and just wipe at will. After one scratches up, I just replace it.

Dave
  3. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    Damp cloth.
  4. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    Well probabably should try the clear screen protector, although I haven't been concerned with scratching. And the damp cloth has merit, but not sure if it is going to stay clean while riding in dusty dry dirt road conditions.

I think the leather glove and the perspex screen rubbing together create a static charge which immediately attracts a covering of more dust.

I was hoping someone was going to suggest some great anti static spray or similar.
  5. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I've been using these for all of my devices (cameras, phones, Nintendo DS, etc.) that have screens for years. They used to be only available via eBay from Japan, but they now have a distributor in the U.S. I've tried a bunch of different ones and the Clarivue is the best.

[​IMG]

http://www.clarivue.com/detail.asp?key=Screen_Protector_Navigation_Garmin_GPSMAP_478

Perfectly clear, doesn't interfere with touch screens, static cling, reduces glare...

To wipe, I keep a moistened microfiber cloth in the outside pocket of my tankbag (primarily to wipe bug strikes off my helmet shield).

To clean, I just spray a little Plexus on a microfiber cloth and wipe.
  6. Zombie73

Zombie73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have put these on my cell phones, digital cameras, and iPod and they have been great. They even keep my teenage girls stuff protected (which is a minor miracle). Shipping seems high once you see the size and weight of the packs so if you have other devices that could use a screen cover take advantage of it. They have a very easy site to check compatibility.

Z

http://www.zagg.com/
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I used the InvisibleShield when they started with the original for the Apple Newton MP2000. They were great. You just slid them under the frame of the screen to protect the touchscreen.

The only thing I don't like about them now is they use an adhesive. For mobile phones and iPods this is fine, but for something with a touch screen, when I need to remove it, I don't want to have anything pulling on the thin layers of the touchscreen. For that, I prefer a static cling attachment.

Again, this is just my opinion.
  8. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    Put it in a Ziploc bag.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :nod

That's what I do. I usually have a small piece of dry terry cloth towel handy to do a quick wipe, but I also keep a damp piece in a ziplock for better cleaning.
    I personally don't ever wipe my screen with my glove.