ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
matyreb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
drz400s keihin carb issue

Looking for someone to help with my carb issue. My bike won't run without the choke on. I know nothing about jetting. I can bring the bike to you and pay you handsomely. Shops are booked up and I want to ride. I live in seattle. Tyler 206 579 1882. Thanks
matyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,526

Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyreb View Post
Looking for someone to help with my carb issue. My bike won't run without the choke on. I know nothing about jetting. I can bring the bike to you and pay you handsomely. Shops are booked up and I want to ride. I live in seattle. Tyler 206 579 1882. Thanks
Get a book, search on youtube, learn. Very simple to go through and is probably just a plugged pilot jet.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
If you loosen the clamp on the air filter side and the clamp on the intake side of the carb, you should be able to rock the carb over on it's side. Remove the 4 screws that all look the same holding the float bowl on and then the float bowl will come off. You will see some brass looking things, flat head screw driver remove those, clean out, blow air back thru where those screw in and put back together. Start bike. If bike does not start look for a vacuum line coming off of the fuel pet cock and plug it back in. In winter time take into shop and have the carb completely cleaned and 3x3 mod perfomed.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
bensgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
If you can't clear out the jets just get new. They are cheap and available everywhere. The pilot jet is the usual suspect. Thumbs up on the 3x3!
bensgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Chickenlegs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
What you need is carb cleaner. Not the aerosol type but the liquid type found at dealerships. Yamaha makes one, Honda etc. Remove the carb then carb bowl. Your looking for the pilot jet. It's the smallest jet in there. Pour the carb cleaner in a glass jar and drop your jets in for a couple hours. Remove them then blow them out with compressed air or use an aerosol can of carb cleaner. You should be able to look through the jet opening. Hold it up toward a light. If it fails to unblock you can take a Bristle from a wire brush and force it thru. I've also had to heat the jet with a propane torch to loosen things up but only on extreme cases. If you want to take the short approach you can leave the carb on bike , drain fuel from carb. Remove fuel line from tank and fill carb with cleaner. Give it a couple hours. Replace fuel line. Drain carb of cleaner and see if it removes the blockage.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
....x2 on plugged pilot jet

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
matyreb OP
Adventurer