ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Oh.... my God..... $99,000 for that? Too bad it won't burn.

I feel your pain, a few years ago Wenatchee spent $88,000 each for two stupid matching pieces of 'art', one at each end of the city. Residents were completely unaware that our city slogan was being changed from "The Apple Capitol of the World" to "Meeting Rivers, Meeting Friends, Meeting Needs" which made us all go
Also, I just went looking for a pic, and there are a few, and apparently the project went way over budget and was months late in completion as well.
BTW, we grow several billion apples a year. Enough to circle the globe, at the equator, 12 wide.

1911fan

/thread hijack.... on my own thread, lol

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,227
Dang, the word 'fun' outta canoes woulda been better! Need a lotta canoes for "Lewiston", although i woulda built that for $100K . Must practice my 'art' work .

I think i need to go buy this:
http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/4605450129.html
Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Why is that? I sailed a lot as a kid, and even in small klunky boats (El Toros, Sunfish) a keel was helpful. I was supposing it would be the same in a canoe.
Well, for the same reason Kayaks don't have keels (although admittedly some have skegs and rudders.)

In a sailboat, a keel of some kind is required to keep the boat from being pushed sideways by the wind, and to provide a righting moment/center of gravity that keeps the open side up. This is why in sailing canoes, you almost always see leeboards fitted.

In a canoe, the only reason you would need a keel is if you designed a canoe with a truly flat bottom, which is of course the easiest to both design and manufacture. However, since your arms probably can't bring that sucker to planing speed, flat bottomed canoes are inefficient and less seaworthy.

The shallow arch, shallow vee, or hybrid arch/vee of the hull will allow the boat to track. This is the design you will find on a quality canoe.

I've seen some older small-time fiberglass boat manufacturers argue other reasons for canoes having keels, but they mostly just boil down to either marketing, or the fact that the mold was easier to make with the keel. Keels add weight, and also can prove to be a hazard when sliding over logs. Not to mention, if you paddle solo/freestyle, you may find the keel interferes.

The main reason I mentioned the keel issue, is that it is an easy "red-flag" to know that you should question the design of the boat.

Edit: Here is a royalex boat at an okay price! Again, misidentified as Fiberglass: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/4611987122.html

WB-PDX screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 09:19 AM
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 552
We have an old Grumman aluminum canoe that belongs to Jeff's family, as it was his grandfather's. It seems pretty stable. We've even taken two dogs in it and managed to not get dumped in the middle of the lake It's nice and light so two people(one of them being ME ) can load it on a ladder rack on top of a pick-up really easily. It's my only experience with canoes, but thought I'd pass the info.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,449
We looked for a couple of years before we found a decent one. We ended up with a 17' Fiberglass Lincoln. It does everything we ask of it. Both of us also have 14' Tupperware Kayaks which are a bigger P.I.T.A. to haul but seem to get used more.

The problem with finding a used Canoe around here is the local Lesbian Community. I found out that Canoeing is big on their favorite list of things to do. They watch for used boats and snatch them up instantly. I showed up numerous times to look at boats for sale, only to see them being loaded onto an LAV destined for their new home. The one I bought was only on Craigslist a few minutes and I was the first of many to call on it. I called, drove straight over and loaded it onto my work truck.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Redlabel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Have a 16' Mad River Malecite that's been a great canoe. Lightweight and stable....easy for the wife and I to carry, etc. Good luck.
Redlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
We just bought a Wenohna Minnesota II, 18.5' and in like new condition. $650, though no paddles or PFDs. Should be fun!! Now we're looking for paddles and PFDs, of course.

1911fan

PS: Seller rides a KLR650 and I told him abot the WABDR and advrider, hope he logs on.

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
We just bought a Wenohna Minnesota II, 18.5' and in like new condition. $650, though no paddles or PFDs. Should be fun!! Now we're looking for paddles and PFDs, of course.
That's a great boat for your use, but you'll want to watch the wind, or read up on the effect of moving the center of gravity on wind-age (You said you've sailed dinghy's, so you are probably all set.)

My new canoe is without a doubt the most special, rare, thing I have ever owned. This would have been custom made by Wenonah. It's a 1998 Kevlar Sundowner 17 with the rib layup (same as UltraLight today,) wood trim, the performance package, but with cane seats (which is something I've never actually seen.) It is in amazing shape, as it has sat in the owner's garage for over 12 years.

It's also in what I think is the best color Wenonah has ever used; an aquamarine/teal that seems to draw comments from everyone that sees it.

Came with three beautiful paddles and a few other things.

It was not cheap, but, since a new one is nearing $3k, so I still feel like I got a deal.

It's actually absurdly close to the color I painted my tuff-weave Sundowner 18, which was a project boat I bought for $300.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
hdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
wenohna

Good buy. You will not regret it. We have the Itasca and it carried our two labs, daughter and all of our camping gear for a week (including ice chest). It's kevlar and weighs around 50 to 60 lbs. I can lift it on the roof rack by myself. (with effort). Great canoes. If you haven't paddled before get a book, video, and take a couple of classes, makes a lot of difference. For marriage sakes let the person in front dictate the pace.

Have fun
hdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #25
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
Just come to Lewiston with a small saw and cut one out of the herd, lots of extra canoes in what they call a canoe wave "art" .

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/113533149.html

Actually bring a big trailer and take the whole thing, please. Sad that it isn't even close ot the worst "art" we have bought in this town.
Hey Roy!,,howdy Bro!

If you didn't do it,,I was going to,,,I never hear the word 'canoe' without that scene appearing and re-appearing from the first time I rode into town,,I remember thinking,,,"WTF?,,what a waste!"

My two cents,,,you can poke a hole in any canoe with a sharp enuff rock.
Repairing along the way could end your day.
wooden is tuff to fix, plastic is tougher to fix,fiberglass boats can break into pieces,,but aluminum canoes can be patched with epoxy on the spot and will still get you down the river.
keep your eyes open for one that looks crusty and long time stored. Pull in and ask if they want to sell it.
I bought a 16 ft. Grumman V-stern for a few hunnert bucks because it sat there, and sat there unused for so long I couldn't stand it anymore! "you ever gonna use that canoe or do you want to sell it right now?!",,,worked for me!
Should be lots of neglected paddlers in the Wetsnatchee area,,,,

peterman screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:01 AM
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #26
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Royalex (plastic) is easy to fix with 3M MA300 two part epoxy. It takes minutes. If you've put a hole in one, it's probably because it fell off your car at 60+mph, and you likely have bigger problems, but you can fix it on the roadside in no time.

Fiberglass and Kevlar are easy to repair with any of the two part epoxies you can buy, and proper, larger repairs are easy to make with cloth and epoxy. I like the system that TAP Plastics sells, or you can use WEST. You shouldn't be using fiberglass or Kevlar in swift moving water anyway. Hand laid fiberglass or Kevlar, like you find in a quality canoe, is much harder to shatter than the old chop-gun boats you probably think of when you think fiberglass. Don't buy a chop gun boat, and you can worry far less about the challenges of fixing it.

Wood can be repaired with fiberglass cloth. Most wood canoes are covered in a layer of e-glass (or canvas.)

One thing most people don't realize is UV is the enemy of all materials except Aluminum. For a boat that will be stored outside, the only good choice is aluminum.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Build your own.

Buy the book Building a Strip Canoe. Follow the instructions and build your own.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
I bought an aluminum canoe new in 1971 and still have it. It has always been stored out in the yard in the sun, rain, and snow and has not deteriorated at all. During those 43 years I've also owned an Old Town and a Coleman, both plastic, that showed signs of deterioration after a few years of outdoor storage. Plastic is nice because it's quiet but aluminum will last forever with no maintenance.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
Remember "Deliverance" ?
Remember which canoe made it the farthest down the river?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #30
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I see that you found a boat (a nice one at that) but I thought I'd throw my .02 in.

Opinions on canoes vary about as much as they do on bikes. One guy will tell you that "Brand X" makes the tippiest canoe he's ever been in, without telling you how it was loaded, or how drunk his co-paddler was, while another guy can paddle a carbon or kevlar Jensen and tell you it's stable as a pontoon boat (FYI, they are not). Paddle a few around and see what you like. They all handle differently loaded vs unloaded / tandem vs solo/ flat water vs white/ windy vs calm / initial vs secondary stability.

We have a Mad River Adventure 14 and it is phenomenal for us. Absolutely love it. Tracks like a champ, is relatively fast, non hardcore paddlers love the back rests and it is about as stable (secondary anyways) as it gets. We've paddled it in the salt, fast moving water, and on big lakes.

We have access to an old Coleman that we use from time to time. It is a bear to do anything with unless it's loaded to the hilt and trimmed correctly. When it is, it's a joy to paddle. Again, they all have their place.

I love paddling kevlar race rigs, but all boats have their place (and price). Try a few, look at a bunch and figure out what does it for you. I really like Clippers out of Abbotsford BC, but as I said, to each their own.

Canoes are my second favorite mode of transport, next to the bike. I can take my kids in the canoes.

crackhead screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 01:58 PM
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote