User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
norton73 OP
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,293
AHRMA Trials @ the Ginder Ranch, TN

While everyone else was at either Rebel Yell or the BMWRA rally in Shelbyville TN, I was at B & J Racing In Dickson , TN, at a AHRMA Vintage Trial.

Couldn't take too many pictures as I was riding my Bultaco in the event, but here's a few shots of bikes afterwards.

Late 60's Greeves, with a Ossa MAR behind;

Modified Bultaco Model 10, the "Sammy Miller Replica". This is an example of the bike that revolutionized trials in 1965, making the big british singles obselete overnight and starting the lightweght revolution.

Triumph Cub, there was a bunch of these running around, the sound was great!

The Famous James.
This bike is a replica of the bike Mick Andrews rode in the Scottish Six Days Trial in the early '60s. Built by Bob Ginder, (the B in B & J), Mick has used this bike to win the AHRMA trials at Mid-Ohio several times.
This time around it was ridden by Bob Baker, an Englishman over visiting. Saturday night, while we were all drunk on margaritas in town, Bob invited me over to Scotland to ride one of his bikes in the Pre-65 Scottish Trial. Hope he still remembers the invite!

There were a lot of other interesting bikes being ridden. One guy was riding a rigid BSA Gold Star, there was a bunch of modified BSA B40s and 441 Victors. And a whole lot of Bultacos and Montessas. Lots of fun, and I even survived
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
i was there yesterday. i saw you riding thru section 5. i was taking pics of some other folks i'd met. i never did see you the rest of the day. i looked for you after i'd walked thru the whole event but figured you must've gone back out to the woods to ride some more.

the trials bug has bitten me yet again. i guess i'll start saving my pennies. the vintage bikes interest me more than the new ones, so at least i dont have to save quite so many pennies.

my buddy got some video of you in section 5. i'll post it when i get it from him. unfortunately the pics i got of you were with my slow digi and they're all blurred action shots. i have no idea why i didn't shoot you with film.

wish i could've said hello. keep me informed of any other trials rides in the area.

bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
norton73 OP
drinkin'

Sorry I missed you there. Teresa told me after my first loop that someone was looking for me.
Section 5 was pretty easy for the less than expert classes, but that up hill was so bad that most of the experts just handed their cards to the checker and asked for a 5 score.
Very doable on a modern bike, way to much for a vintage bike.

There was several TY250s for sale at the event. Did you write down the phone #s?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
Sorry I missed you there. Teresa told me after my first loop that someone was looking for me.
Section 5 was pretty easy for the less than expert classes, but that up hill was so bad that most of the experts just handed their cards to the checker and asked for a 5 score.
Very doable on a modern bike, way to much for a vintage bike.

There was several TY250s for sale at the event. Did you write down the phone #s?
i could've dropped down the hill and run across the creek to say hello, but i figured i'd catch up somewhere along the way. better luck next time.

i was hanging out getting some shots of people trying the uphill on section 5. i have video of the guy on the silkolene bike trying the hill. he was clearning all the sections i saw him ride, but that hill stopped him head.

i saw a few bikes for sale. my wife asked if i intended to buy them with my good looks. unfortunately, my looks cant get me even close to a clapped out ty250.

i'm keeping an eye out. i'm trying to unload some music gear and that might go toward a trials bike. we shall see.

i loved seeing all the old bikes there. the greeves with the leading link forks was a beauty. the rigid bsa with the gigantor rear sprocket was interesting as well. that guy was seriously old school looking.

how did you do overall?
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
I didn't make the Stoneleigh Farm event this weekend. Thanks for these pics though. I'll get to one of these things before long.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
norton73 OP
drinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
i was hanging out getting some shots of people trying the uphill on section 5. i have video of the guy on the silkolene bike trying the hill. he was clearning all the sections i saw him ride, but that hill stopped him head.

how did you do overall?
The guy I rode up with crashed big time on his first attempt at the hill. I spotted him on his second loop and he got a 2. Third time around he cleaned it.
It was a combined AHRMA, STRA, and ITSA event and they awarded trophies for each club. I was entered in STRA because I havn't done enough events this year to count towards the AHRMA Championship. But STRA points will probably do me some good.

I won the STRA Intermediate Class, and was about 10 points down on the AHRMA lowest score, so probably was near the top overall.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
norton73 OP
drinkin'

More pics here; http://homepage.mac.com/hartc/Trials/PhotoAlbum55.html