User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
A Long Term Goal With Route Satisfaction

Well since I started riding the street in 2011 I have been in Wa, Id, BC Canada, but mostly Wa. This spring I had the idea that I wanted to do something goal orientated that included my day tripping around the state.

So I thought to myself I wonder how many people have ridden all the state routes in WA on a motorcycle? Well I don't know If anyone has done it, but Im going to do it.

So my goal is to do it in five years starting my clock from 2012, since I had covered alot of roads that year.

Tommorow afternoon I head out toward SR 129 via SR 20, SR 97, SR 20, than overnight around Republic. Tuesday morning will have me going down SR 21 to the Columbia River than cross on the Kettle Ferry, than to SR 2 to Spokane and if time allows continue to Boder of Idaho than down back to SR 195 down to Idaho cross into Idaho to back into Wa to pick up SR 12 in Clarkston, Wa than head South via SR 129 that will take me to south East corner of the state, Broggans Oasis along the Grand Ronde River is the destination for Tuesday night after I ride the both SR 121, and SR 129 from Broggans to the Oregon border and back.

Than Wednesday I will head North on SR 129 to catch SR 128 West to SR 12 at Pomeroy Wa. Than East on SR 12 to SR 193 North West to SR 194 to SR 26 than head West comming back to SR 21 till SR 2 at Wilbur, Wa to connect to SR 174 North to SR 155 to Coulee City, Wa for the night.

Thursday will be a boring ride from Coulee City, Wa up SR 17 to SR 174 back down SR 17 to SR 172 to Farmer, Wa (Wonder who named that town?). Than West on SR 12 to SR 97 for a short ride to Pateros, Wa to SR 153 by than I will need a break at the wonderful Rest Awhile Fruit Stand. The ladies are always so nice when we stop there to rest and literally cool off as they let us go in the cooler if we are really hot.

Than up SR 153 back to SR 20 toward the Methow valley over the pass and home again to the Skagit Valley.

According to google maps that will be 22 hours and 7 minutes of riding time covering 1,100 miles. I plan on doing that in a total of 3 days, my longest ride to date.

So far I Have completed SR 11 ,SR 20 , SR 31 ,SR 41 ,SR 86 ,SR 97 ,SR 97 Alt ,SR 112 ,SR 131 ,SR 153 ,SR 155 ,SR 173 ,SR 508 ,SR 530, SR 538 ,SR 534 ,SR 539 ,SR 546 since 2012.

Corey

Me and my son on one of our day trips.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437

longrides1 screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 01:32 PM
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

All washed, ready and packed to go tomorrow afternoon.
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 05:05 PM
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Got an earlier start than I thought we would last Monday, my son rode with me to Washington Pass and then road back home. I wish he could have gone on the whole ride, he would have loved it.

Sorry about the posting delay on the report, I dont know how most of you post on the road because I never could get enough WIFI, or cell service to do pictures. and IPADS suck when using Photobucket.

So on down the road I go by myself for the next three days, continued on SR 20 up to Tonasket, WA.

There is a cool U.S Armed Forces Legacy Park there always have just ridden right by it on past rides, but this time I had daylight to spare.

HOOOO Yaaaa Navy!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good to see that small town America still gets what patriotism is all about!

Off toward Wauconda Pass me and my trusty steed go. It didn't take long to get there, traffic was light and they had chipped sealed over the terrible tar snakes that were huge. Every time you would go across one perppendicular to your path of travel to your tires you could really feel your bike slip on those nasty things! Thanks WSDOT for fixing that section of road.

Well when I rode into town of Wauconda which consist of a post office combined store, resturant that was closed, there was another bike there but it must have been behaving since they didn't tie it up to the hitchen post. Well my steed sometimes likes to misbehave so I thought better than to just let her be free.

They were from Arlington, Wa headed to Idaho, and maybe Montana. After chatting awhile about bike stuff it was time to mosey on down the trail to the nights destination before it gets dark and set up camp for the night.

Quick stop at the summit for the obligatory picture of steed by the sign.

A little Wauconda Pass history, always love reading these signs. Maybe I should have been a history teacher.

As you can see my next stop was at the Keller Ferry which is named Sanpoli after the Sanpoli River that flows into the Columbia just East of the ferry dock.

Pulled up to the ferry and waited for the crew to let me know when to board, waited a bit than hear someone howlering something and then notice the captain waving me on hmmm not quite what Im used to on the other ferries here in WA.

Parked way off to the side anticipating other vehicles to come aboard the ferry. After a short bit the crewman showed up, hey how long of till the next sailing I ask. He says were leaving now, what no other cars, nope load and go. As we are crossing the river I asked about campgrounds on the other side of the river since the one at Ten mile south of Republic was closed, Forest Service just really seams to know how to piss people off by closing camp grounds, heck this one hadn't been cleaned or serviced in years I think because of all the grass growing on the road in it and the nasty messages left on the sign board by people.

Well John the ferry worker had good news about camping on the other side for me, he lets me know theres a private one on top off the hill on the left that has food, showers and all the normal amenities you would find at a private one. Its called The River Rue R.V. Park me and the wife started it thirty years ago. No wonder he was so knowledgeable about it.

After $22.00 I had my camp spot. Only to find out the water had been just shut off in the tent area, so off to the office I go. The nice lady says it will be dry in no time, yea right, nope not setting my tent up there. How about that nice grass up by the front, nope can't do that, hmmm well she says they have an over flow spot, ok lets see it. Well as you can see from the picture above it was just right.

Some of those Trickster deer on the way into Wilber.

Once camp was set up its grub time, so off to Wilber, Wa I go fourteen miles on way will not be to bad should have enough light to get back in time so I don't have to play dodge the deer game. After having a nice meal onward toward camp I go, know on the way in I fail to see the golf course to the east side of the HWY, I make my right turn start accelerating toward camp and notice some deer out in the field way off to my left. I have to tell you I believe deer send decoys out to side trick people into hey look over here while the other ones get in the road and watch you coming at them playing chicken with you. So I return my attenion back to the road ahead and see momma deer just over the yellow line heading toward here friends out in the field while Im still accelerating at a quick pace mind you then junior plays the wait up mom game Im coming right in front of me, well lets just say Im glad I have mad skills at appyling the binders fast and more importantly correctly as he was spared his life by only a couple of feet.

Wow that was a close call, so Im all adrenalined up at this point and miss my turn back to SR 21 after a while I notice the canyon Im in is not the right one. HMMMM there are lots of real shinny lights in a row further down the canyon, those sure are not the ferry lights. Oh yea Im on the wrong HWY, SR 174 does not go to Keller ferry landing so back I go toward camp the right way but know its dark so it's a slow ride so I don't find more trickster deer to run into.
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 11-09-2014 at 12:26 PM
Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Tuesday moring comes and off I go toward Boggans Oasis on the Grande Ronde River. But first I have to get bye all the rest of those trickster deer between camp and SR 2, belive it or not I only saw one deer from camp to SR 2 where last night they were ever where on that road.

So away I go super slabbing it to Spokane, Wa.

On the way there Im thinking to myself that Spokane has a Ducati dealer so I will need to get myself a tee shirt from there.

To my dismay they don't have any tee shirts with the dealers name on them, but I did get myself a sweet carbon fiber style Ducati hat.

And the picture is the bike my wife says she will buy if I don't make it back from one of these insanly long rides I take in short periods of time, so I counter with that I will buy a 1199S Panigale when you don't make it back from one of your rides!

South I go on SR 195 out thourgh the land of endless rolling wheat fields.

Oh wait what do I see something that has a spiral road going up it.

On top of the world, nope just Steptoe Butte. A cool site if any of you ever have the chance to go see it. The view is awesome for miles around.

South once again riding SR 195 which is a pretty decent road even though its a slab, its the only road on my whole trip I saw a policeman sitting and waiting for some speeders.
Glad I was only doing a little over the speed limit! Stoped in Colfax, Wa for gas, and some much needed hydration due to the temps were rising fast. Then off toward Lewiston, ID, can't wait twistees ahead.

One more obligatory type sign one has to post, now comes the fun stuff.

The road in the picture is whats called "The Old Spiral HWY" that drops into Lewiston, ID from the north.

Its quite amazing pieace of engineering as the rate of drop is slow, and all the banks face inward toward the ditch. It would be cool if they could ever hold a rally locally and shut it down for one way traffic like The Ralley in the Gorge does on old HWY 97 going to Goldendale, WA.

After coming back into Washinton at Clarkston I headed south via SR 129 toward Grande Ronde River, with a quick stop for gas, and some grub in Asotin, Wa. If you ever get to Asotin I recommend Matt's Bar and grill for your dinning needs, had a wonderful lunch and dinner there on my way in, and out from the Grande Ronde canyon. http://www.lewisclarknightout.com/matts-grill

Sorry no pictures of food I was just to hungry to remember to take them, something I will need to get better at.

The twistees out of Asotin were short but fun, sorry no pics.

Than it was all flat with a slow ascent up to Rattlesnake summit where the temperture was cooling down nicely.

Well here is my pictures of flowers, everyone seems to include them in thier RR, so I guess I will too. They were growing along the river, and along the hillsides through the whole canyon. Plus the one with water is the only one I got of the river, just to busy riding I guess.

The first three pics are SR 129 climbing up to the Oregon border, and the fouth one is well you know one more obligatory type sign one has to post.

So off to Joseph Canyon viewpoint in Oregon.

Lots of cool vistas down in the South East part of Washington, and Oregon Blue Mountains.

Headind back toward the border I noticed a place called Flora, OR thought I would go check out what was there to gawk like a tourist at, I had also seen a sign earlier while riding SR 121 west of Boggans Oasis that a gravel road went there but the distance was way longer than two miles. Not my idea of fun riding a gravel rode thats narrow and steep with street tires.

Its called The Flora Agriculturual School, pretty fitting place for such a school since its surrouned by such historical agriculture beginnings. I think it might have been the original school house for the settlers kids way back when.

You gussed it, one more obligatory type sign one has to post.

My plan for the night was to pitch my tent at the WDFW boat launch next to Boggans Oasis and have dinner there. But my knot headedness let me believe that the resturant was open till 8pm, not it closed at 6pm when I strolled thorough town it was 5:59 pm.

So off to Asotin I ride on my steel horse hungry and tired.

No fear Matt's grill will be open, like I posted earlier really good chow there plus libations.

So the day ends with me back in Lewiston, ID camping at Hell's Gate state Park. Really a nice set up if anyone of you inmates go that way, it only cost $22.04 with showers included that are surpringly clean.
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 07:49 AM
Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Wednesday will bring the hotest temps of the ride so far as I head toward the west now.Off to look for breakfast in Clarkston, WA.

With a name like that I cound't resist finding out how the table fare would be, well it turned out to be a little greasy spoon type place which is just what I needed for my start to a long day.

Time too head out toward Pomeroy, WA via SR 128 (saw that on a map somewhere, just don't remember where) its Evan RD to Peola Rd than to Pataha CR Rd than back on Peola RD into Pomeroy. Who ever laid out those roads and desinated them was quite the jokester. Anyways Evan and the first Peola Rd are quit the ride with some twistees and than you go along the backbone of the ridge for some septacular views of the Fleerchinger, and Tam Tam canyons on your right and left sides respectfully. Too bad I didn't stop and snap a few quick picks, maybe next time.

Gravel road ahead not my favorite thing to do on my Multistrada, oh well faced the demons and all ways well.

Went by the Peola Cemetary, and on the right hand side is where the one room school house used to be. The owner of that property now uses the school for a shop, his ancestors moved it to there house location generations ago.

Pomeroy JR and SR High School "Go Pirates", I went there my freashman, and sophmore years and the school hasen't changed a bit.

Stoped at the local minimart to get some gatoraid because it was warming up alot. Almota is gonna be hot when I get down there.

The road down there on SR 194 was amazing with twistees, coming back up was just spectacular, and yes it was hot had to be at least 95-100 degrees. Trust me on that one and try it some day when you are in the area!

Off to Coulee City I go across on SR 26 than to SR 21 to SR2 into Coulee city ( MY arss was killing me so I skipped going from SR2 to SR 174 to SR 155 to Coulee city). I found out how usefull 5th gear is on those flat straight roads are old girl just wanted to do 85 mph, or 90 mph all the way. I hated to pull the reigns on her but that was getting a little rediculous for a constant speed. And 6th gear at 5000 rpms was a cool crusing 90 mph wow she was just out to bad that day I guess.

My tent site at the city park on the Columbia River, kinda spendy at $25.00 a night plus having to pay .25 for 90 seconds of shower time.

Well Thursday found my arss feeling much better so I decided to go up SR 155 into Grand Coulee than take SR 174 East to where I turned around after going the wrong way because of the trickster deer episode, to finish off that portion of it. Than back toward Grand Coulee to catch SR 17 at Leahy, Wa.

Steamboat Rock is quite the block of rock.

Not so big from this angle right.

How about now? Grand Coulee Dam is the largest electric power-producing facility in the United States.

And yes once again one more obligatory type sign one has to post.

Well off from Loup Loup to Winthrope over the two passes and home for some relaxsation that doesn't involve monkey butt!

It took me three days and 3 hours to cover 1326.4 miles, knocking out eight more SRs 195,129,121,128,193,194,174, and 97 which I thought I had completed earlier in my travels but forgot abot the portion from Bridgeport to Okanogan. And partial completing SR 2, 17, and 26.

Labor day I hope to ride up to MT. Baker Ski lodge to bag SR 542 if the weather plays nice with me and the wife.

For now happy trails and riding for the rest of the inmates, and keep the rubber side down!

Corey
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 07:52 AM
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Fun trip, good pics, thanks.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,080
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,798
This is good, I'm looking forward to you showing me some roads I haven't ridden.

And yes flower picture are important. Take time to enjoy the flowers along the way.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Fun trip, good pics, thanks.
Thanks, the pictures are just off my Galaxy S4 phone. I haven't gotten into the camera hobbie, I already have enough hobbies already.

I do have a Gopro Silver Edition that won't hold a battery charge, and I just can't figure it out.
Ride Report
Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
This is good, I'm looking forward to you showing me some roads I haven't ridden.

And yes flower picture are important. Take time to enjoy the flowers along the way.

So you havn't been down to Boggans Oasis yet Ladybug? I do like flowers too , maybe Mondays ride will produce some alpine flower photo opportunities.
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 08:10 AM
Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,798
Oh yes, I have been to Boggan's many times - they have great milkshakes and it's in the neighborhood of the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree in Enterprise, OR.

OK bring on those Alpine flowers.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
longrides1 OP
Adventurer

Labor Day weather was ok so we went to Mt. Baker Ski lodge/Artist Point to knock out SR 542.

The wifes bike and mine ready to roll.

First stop is 5Bs Bakery in Concrete which is a DEDICATED GLUTEN FREE BAKERY, which has amazing food that is a must eat at stop in Concrete.

YUUUMMMMY!

This is The Sisters mountain range just S/W of MT. Baker, but is was a cloudy day so not really a good picture.

The Everybodys Store in Van Zandt, WA on HWY 9 they make the best sandwiches from their deli, plus they serve gluten free sandwhiches too.

MT. Schuksan which is an extinct volcano with just the core of it on the right. It can be seen from the parking lot area of the ski lodge.

Bagley Lake area. The only time I had been there was with boy scouts in a white out blizzard, alot different in this picture.

Well thats the end of SR 542 which means its in the bag, and since its September 1st I BAGGED my babe 24 years ago today. Happy Anniversary my bride!

When the sun is shinning this is really a must see area, sorry ladybug alpine flowers I think had all died out . Well intill I hit the road again bagging more state routes ciao.
Ride Report

longrides1 screwed with this post 11-09-2014 at 12:32 PM