User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
valve stem problems

took my rear wheel off and took it to a local honda bike shop.
was originally quoted $20 to replace tire and valve stem.
they ended up charging me 25 and THEN making me pay for this junk-butt valve stem. had to pay it to get my tire back.

anyway, they're absolutely worthless at that shop.
My valve stem is so bloody long that i can't get a pressure gage or pump on it, even the flat 90 degree kind. i'm not happy.

any suggestions on how to fix it? can i buy a different valve stem like the one pictured on the front tire?

see pics below.

http://www.datchew.com/r100/rear.jpg

http://www.datchew.com/r100/front.jpg

and can someone PLEASE tell me how to put pics in the thread?
the little yellow mountain icon doesn't work and neither does this
"[img]www.whatever.com[/img]"

datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 971
I you were smart you would have purchased the correct valve stem from BMW and taken it to your tire mounter.

Fear of BMW dealers strikes again.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,249
...do you still have the old valve-stem? All they need is an o-ring and maybe a new valve, easy stuff to get. Advantage of the OEM valvestem is if you slice open your tubeless tire and you need to install a tube, the stem is easily removeable without a knife. You also don't have to carry spare rubber stems in case you cut your old one off. I'd stick with the original stem personally.

To post photo's you need a www.smugmug.com account or something similar. Then you cut and paste the URL of each photo to the box opened when you hit the mountain icon.
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
I you were smart you would have purchased the correct valve stem from BMW and taken it to your tire mounter.

Fear of BMW dealers strikes again.
Um, don't know what the hell you're talking about fear of bmw dealers. I was at one today to pickup some parts and some gear. I rarely go there because it's almost 2 hours from where I live. The honda dealer monkey is only 10 mins away.

What happened was that I didn't know I NEEDED to purchase a special valve stem. I figured the local shop jackasses (and i do mean jackasses) would have all the types of stems that I could need.
Either way, when I got the wheel with new tire (and bad stem) back, they had already disposed of the short original one.

I DID however just happen to ask about valvestems at the dealer today and they gave me one of the shorties. So now, I just have to figure out how to install the thing. Can I just remove the tire and simply PUSH it into place from the inside of the rim or do I need a special tool???

As for the pics hosting, I host my own pics. Tried several different combo's of what you said. Just didn't work. Will try hosting from another site... have a couple.

thx.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

well, no responses yet. so here's an update.

I let all the air out and tried like hell to break the bead on the tourance. Used a large crowbar and both of the little tire spoons that come in the bike's toolkit. Simply couldn't do it. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

So unless I get some brilliant hint on how to go about this, I guess I'll go to another bike shop and ask them to install the new CORRECTLY SIZED valve stem.

anyone?

...anyone?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
cpatstone
N00b, obviously.

Oddometer: 347
well, one good thing to come out of your experience is... making me feel better about bringing my tires to the not-so-convenient bmw shop. I almost had the local jap-bike shop do them.

Thanks!

"Minds Awaken on roads less Taken" -- Magic Hat bottle cap inscription
cpatstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

he he he.
glad I could be of help.

So I guess the new rule is this:
If you're gonna have a squid bike shop put your tires on, make sure you have some oem valvestems to give them or else they'll screw everything up.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Okay buy a Coates 220. Makes bead breaking and tire changing a breeze.

Try large C clamp to break bead. Lots, Lots of lube to remove tire from rim.
Don't ding up rim. Find some type of plastic/teflon protectors for rim.
Apply lots of sweat equity,

Best luck to you.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #9
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

well, i'm hoping not to remove the tire completely, but to just squeeze in one side enough to access the valvestem and put in the different one.

is that feasible or do you think i'll have to take the whole bloody thing off?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #10
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
well, i'm hoping not to remove the tire completely, but to just squeeze in one side enough to access the valvestem and put in the different one.

is that feasible or do you think i'll have to take the whole bloody thing off?
As noted above, just break the bead on one side with a c-clamp and you might have enough room to work on installing the valve stem. If you do end up taking the whole tire off, you'll have to rebalance the tire, unless you mark both the tire and the rim to align them after reassembly.
Then you will need access to compressed air to reseat the tire on the rim. And be very careful to make sure it is seated all the way around properly.

Not to sound insulting, but from your questions I'd say you have little or no experience mouting and balancing tires. You may be better off from a safety stand point to get this done by someone with more experence. Improperly mounted tires can be dangerous.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
As noted above, just break the bead on one side with a c-clamp and you might have enough room to work on installing the valve stem. If you do end up taking the whole tire off, you'll have to rebalance the tire, unless you mark both the tire and the rim to align them after reassembly.
Then you will need access to compressed air to reseat the tire on the rim. And be very careful to make sure it is seated all the way around properly.

Not to sound insulting, but from your questions I'd say you have little or no experience mouting and balancing tires. You may be better off from a safety stand point to get this done by someone with more experence. Improperly mounted tires can be dangerous.
You're exactly right. I've never done this before.
We did mark the rim and tire to keep the balance correct.
This weekend, i'm gonna try and break just one side with 2 large c-clamps and pull it over just enough to swap out the valve stem. Hopefully, i won't have to take the whole tire off.
If it doesn't work to my highly meticulous (some say anal) satisfaction, I'll take it to the shop. I appreciate the advice.