User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
jcolombo OP
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
Old vespa or new stella?

OK, now that I've seen this world, I have to add one to the stable. Easy decisions - classic look, manual tranny, 2 stroke.

So, that narrows things down to, I think two obvious categories:

Vespa (or other similar classic scooter):

Pros:

- the "real thing"
- parts, people and group support
- italian (the name is colombo, after all)
- style
- "legal" in CA

Cons:

- old
- old systems (brakes, CDI, etc.)
- reliability

Stella

Pros:

- new from the factory
- factory support (I think)
- colors, accessories, etc available

Cons:

- knockoff
- import to CA (possible, but complex)
- resale?

What do the experts think? I'm mostly going to use this for simple errands, commuting and wrenching. Seems just too cool not to have one and jump on it for the < 10 mile trips. A bit too small for the commute (22 miles @85 MPH).

JC
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,291
I'd say the best way to get into the vintage scootering thing is to buy a "new" vintage scooter. No hassles with figuring out the electricals or cabling. Then, if you still have the itch, restore an old one.

With the Vespa PX150 and the Stella you get a brand new 80's era Vespa PX. You'll get the vintage ride experience with some modern upgrades, but you'll definately know you're on 60's technology--a very nice vintage/retro feel to the bike. Also, these bikes are built to last virtually forever so you can ride the snot out of it and mod it as you see fit. They're solid, and great daily drivers in any weather.

Of the two--Vespa PX and Stella--I'd recommend that you go for the Stella.

It's a Vespa made in the LML factory where Vespas were made for years. Same tooling. It's not a knockoff--it's a Vespa. Same bike, just rebadged...and improved.

Stella:
- stronger reed valve motor
- heavier guage steel
- faster top end
- Bitubo gas shocks front and rear (adj)
- $1200 - $1400 cheaper than the Vespa PX150

The Vespa has better paint, nicer grips, nicer-looking wheels, and the Vespa badges.

Parts interchangability is darn near 100% (probably is 100%). The parts availability is outstanding and very cheap. A clutch cable, for instance, is about $4. Support for the bikes is outstanding worldwide. Here on this forum we're developing an archive of info to use them for serious touring in addition to urban assault/commuting.

As for service, if you go with a local Vespa dealer you've got local support, but the PX series bike is so stone-simple that maintaining it is a no-brainer (it's designed to be totally user-maintained with a couple tools) and, IMHO, part of the joy of owning it.

Used Stellas go from $2000-$2700 or so.

A good way to get started would be to go to www.scooterworks.com and get one of their catalogs. It'll give you a great feel for the innards of the bike, prices for resto and upgrades, and so on. Warning: if you have any gearhead tendencies, the prospect of cheap go-fast goodies and gorgeous authentic retro cred will get you hooked.

Nice comparison chart here.

I'm not sure what the CA rules are for a used 2-stroke...is there something that would make a 7,500-mile old speedometer retrofit a good move?

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
piratetreasure
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
I've had my Stella for almost 2 years now, and really couldn't be happier with it. I suppose I will be with a pipe and new jetting, but thats another story, I'm sure.

A couple of recent scooter experiences, though- kind of funny-

1. I was recently in Ft. Lauderdale and chanced upon the local Vespa dealer, so naturally had to go in and poke around. I really do love the old Vespas. All new scooters on the floor, however, but got to looking at the PX, and it really is exactly the same cosmetically as a Stella. When I found out the price difference is about $1200, I really couldn't see justifying it. Surely, the Vespa folks will tout their superior engineering and reliability, but having had 2 years of firsthand experience with the Stella tells me otherwise- The Stella is a great scoot! What was funny was that the salesman would not talk about Stellas- I brought them up twice and the topic was quickly changed.

2. I was also in Cleveland, Ohio recently, and sought out Pride of Cleveland Scooters, a shop which I had heard nothing but good things about. Rightfully so, as the folks there were top notch and extremely friendly. They are definitely into their vintage Vespas, but also a multi line dealer with 2 and 4 strokes. They also sell a lot of Stellas. One funny thing they told me was that lots of folks buying a Stella will pay an extra $70 to have all the badging switched out to Vespa, so much so that they keep a LOT of the necessary Vespa badges in stock.
piratetreasure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Photog, I don't know if this shows or not, but I'm a scooter noob. What's this deal with Vespa PX150's all over the place? I thought they were limited editions.

Also, I was of the impression the PX150 could not be registered in California... Are there different kinds of PX150s?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
jcolombo OP
Lurking Moderator

This I know...

They have two versions of the PX150. Regular and "Series America" (US Spelling). Not sure how many of the first, but supposedly only 500 of the latter. Numbered, certificate, special color, but otherwise the same mechanicals.

The PX150, as a 150cc 2-stroke can't be registered in CA (nor can the Stella). Where there is a will, there is a way, however.

JC
Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Having a vintage scooter ('61 Lambretta) but not a 'new retro' I would say this...

The vintage Lammy is fun to poke around the 'hood. But I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a daily rider. It's still a 40 year-old piece with 40 year-old brakes, ignition, etc. technology. Stuff is old & old stuff breaks a lot.

I’d like to have a Stella as a daily rider/commuter. Though I haven’t rode one yet, I have to believe that the things have a lot better suspension & brakes then the dear old Lammy.

My .02 cents.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:16 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
They have two versions of the PX150. Regular and "Series America" (US Spelling). Not sure how many of the first, but supposedly only 500 of the latter. Numbered, certificate, special color, but otherwise the same mechanicals.

The PX150, as a 150cc 2-stroke can't be registered in CA (nor can the Stella). Where there is a will, there is a way, however.

JC
According to a recent article I read the owner of Genuine Scooter Co says he will be selling his scooters legally in California in 2006. However, I don't know if that is actually the 2T Stella/PX150 or some other model. Perhaps if you contact Genuine they can tell you.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
Photog, I don't know if this shows or not, but I'm a scooter noob. What's this deal with Vespa PX150's all over the place? I thought they were limited editions.

Also, I was of the impression the PX150 could not be registered in California... Are there different kinds of PX150s?
Vespa decided to sell the first 2005 PX150's as "limited edition" bikes, which made consumers think that was all the US was getting in terms of the classic.

Then they started selling the "regular" 2005 PX-150's. Yeah, a lot of people were wondering the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure Vespa wanted the market to think that way, too. It circulated on all the scoot boards--same response: the crates of PX's were waiting behind the "limited" bikes, so the limited edition wasn't the PX...it was a version of the PX. In other words, plenty of PX's to go around. The ltd. was the gussied-up version.

At that point I was comparing the price difference between the LML PX and the Vespa PX, and doing a lot of research on LML. The LML came out on top.

AFAIK the PX150 isn't available in CA even though it has a catalyzed exhaust.

Betcha Genuine (Stella) is gonna be the only PX available after 2006. Since Genuine is a small business, they've got a few loopholes available to keep brining the PX over here wrt the EPA regs, versus Vespa/Piaggio being a huge company. At any rate, I wanted a vintage PX, couldn't afford the extra $1200 or so for the Vespa, so I went with the LML (Genuine/Stella).

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
jcolombo OP
Lurking Moderator

I did it...

Thanks for the thoughts, especially Photog.... pulled the trigger, and a new (!) dark blue Stella is heading out to CA with Ohio plates. I haven't actually seen the color, but have been assured it's quite nice.

Should be here in a couple of weeks - I'll take pics and let you know how it all went.

I'm stoked!

JC
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
acidjzaz
Nolram

Oddometer: 18
super old thread buttt.. any issues registering a 2T Stella in CA?
acidjzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
As the owner of a 2009 Stella 2T, I would recommend getting a new one (I got mine new, got one of the last ones) but they no longer sell it in the U.S. All you can get now are 4 strokes. I have no experience with them. The body on a Stella is actually stronger than the original Vespa PX150. And since Vespa no longer makes parts for their vintage scooters, most vintage 2 stroke Vespas will have been rebuilt with the same LML parts that are on the Stella. While new Vespas are top notch quality, the old ones, just like all other old bikes of that era, weren't. Expect to spend a lot of time on maintenance, and having to do a few repairs. Both the Stella and old Vespas are clunky, they squeak and rattle and buzz, the brakes and suspension aren't the best, they have a manual shifter and clutch, and it takes some degree of skill to safely ride on in traffic. They are totally opposite to todays highly refined twist and go scooters. They actually look, sound, and feel like machines. I own both the Stella and an '08 Yamaha Vino 125. The Vino makes better transportation, but the Stella is 10 times more fun.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Some dealers have new left over 2T Stellas. The 4 stroke Stellas come with a 2yr warranty.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
The four stroke Stellas are undoubtedly more reliable. But I can't see how they would have the fun factor of the two stroke. I love the way a 2 stroke sounds and smells. It won't last as long, at least the top end won't, but on the other hand, they are easily rebuilt. You could swap out top ends on the side of the road if you had the tools and parts, and many riders of old Vespas did exactly that. Also, there is an endless supply of aftermarket (and performance, if you are into that kind of thing) parts for the two stroke, which fit both Stellas and P series Vespas. So far the only modification I have done to my Stella is replace the stock catcon exhaust with a stock style Vespa exhaust. A catcon exhaust will not last long on a 2 stroke without plugging up.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
Technically, the Stella is not a knock-off.
I had a 2t, 2003 model and it is one of only two bikes I really regret
getting rid of. A Simonini pipe and rejet really woke it up !
No problems whatsoever and very fun to ride. If I had
the space, I would buy another in a heartbeat !
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Both the Bajaj and Stella's were originally Vespa knock-offts. Bajaj was closer to authentic since it was originally an Indian Vespa. Due to Indian law the company manufacturing in India had to be 60% Indian owned.

But nothing beats an authentic Vespa.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote