Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
PowerT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Vintage Adventure Bike xtra fuel/carrying rack...

What is not to love about this?

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
First bike I learned to ride on at age 10 was a 1970 trail 90, a yellow one :)
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 953
Nice Bike!
Got my eye on This One.........

Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
wow you had the big bore, I started on a 65' honda 55, in 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
First bike I learned to ride on at age 10 was a 1970 trail 90, a yellow one :)
Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #5
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
I grew up with a CT90 in the garage (too tall for me to ride, and to be honest I never remember anyone ever riding it), but my first bike was a Honda CB 175.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #6
Zekester
Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer: 254
These things are totally kewl. I didn't know they existed before you guys pointed them out. Now I've got the fever.
Zekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
Hannibal-8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Love them all. We've had about 5-6 90's and 4-5 110's in our family over the years. Dual range feature was great. My favorite was a late 60's 90 with the front leading link suspension. It is the best handling of all the bikes and you would toe down for 1,2,3,4 and use your heel to downshift. (They later changed this to toe-up to upshift and toe down to downshift with the heel thing poorly shaped to do anything) It would seize occasionally on hot days when abused, but after 20 minutes of rest it would always start and charge on with it's apponted tasks. My brother-n law attempted to rebuild it and ended up with boxes of parts that were eventually given away and assembled by an idiot-savant (he reminded me of Rainman) who put another 10,000 miles on it. Last seen on a beach in Baja. The 110s (actually 105cc) have more power but we are talking about maybe 1.5 hp difference. Still sold in Australia, brand spanking new. Rich (They are called "Posties" there because they apparently were/are used to deliver mail.)
Hannibal-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
I'm all over that one! Here is my '79 Trail 90 with 540 original miles "just foolin' around":

Scooter from Hell

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
miku
Hippie techno-phile

Oddometer: 81
Yep -- what a blast from the past. That's what I learned on :-)

My dad bought 4 old CT110 postal bikes at auction, and we built 3 working bikes out of that. Box-trailer behind the landcruiser and we'd head off to Fraser Island for a few weeks. Drop the pressure on the tires, and you can tear around the sand for days.

These days, access is heavily restricted on Fraser Island.

Very forgiving bikes to a ten year old kid :-)

M
miku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
ShawnDoc
A wee baby

Oddometer: 193
Strange question which I'll tack onto this thread, since it is related a bit. Its going to be a bit rambling due to conflicted desires fighting over my thoughts. I've wanted a CT90 or 110 for a while now and found a real good deal on one that is actually running and licesnsed for street use in Cali. I'm currently taking a motorcycle repair class and was thinking of buying one to restore/tear down at class. Thought it would be fun to tear everything apart and rebuild it back up over the next year. I get to learn how motors and stuff work, and end up with a nice collectible at the end.

Only problem is I don't own a truck to take it back and forth to class in and its not safe to leave it at school.

So I decided to look at Z50A's instead, figuring it is small enough that I can throw it in the car (But they're almost as expensive as a CT!). I then ran acroos the CT70, which has the CT90 style looks that I like (sorta) and is smaller than a CT90. But its damn near 6' long, so I think its not going to fit in the backseat or trunk of my car. But have never tried I'm not sure.

Money is limited.

So what do you guys think? Stick with the Z50A? Can I buy a rack for my car that can hold a CT70? What about a 90 or 110? Is the whole idea I've got in my head stupid?

Let me know.
ShawnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
If you can put a receiver hitch on your car, you're covered. There are any number of "moto tote" type devices available for you, and given the type bike you're thinking about (CT-70/90/110) it'll come in handy for you later on if you want to cage it to a destination then run the bike up into the mountains for some camping.

Do a search using "moto tote" and you'll get the branded version as well as copies.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Damn! I sold a CT90 last year for $650. Saw a REALLY nice one at Barber's last weekend for $1200. Now this...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #13
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Damn! I sold a CT90 last year for $650. Saw a REALLY nice one at Barber's last weekend for $1200. Now this...
The older I get the more I lust after the smaller bikes.

Got a Suzuki GS500 that's so damn honest in its simplicity. And effortless to fling around.

I'm lusting after a pair of TW200's for camping.

Iffn I found a nice CL360--my first and probably only REAL adventure bike in terms of the nutty stuff I did with it--I'd buy it.

And I'm always gonna drool over the CT-110. That there is one fine bike.

The Triumph Scrambler is causing mass droolage in the house from both parties, which is a good sign. Okay, so it's a big bike, relatively speaking, but it ain't no KTM and it's more akin to my CL. Same deal.

I think it's a cyclical thing--you end up wanting to get back to the first rides where you just strapped a bedroll on the back and went. No HTW bags, no touratech, no GPS, no credit card, no 100+hp. Can a beans, some jerky, dad's old stove.

I don't have time for the 2-week epics right now. So I can do a 2-day epic on a smaller bike and feel just as beat-up...and prouder that the damn little critter made it.

There's always room at the campfire for the small bikes.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
65fl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by powert
What is not to love about this?
Now that just brought back a flood of fun memories. Used to live in northeast Ohio when I was a young'n. Our neighbor had one of those, I always thought it was stupid at the time. I had one of these:

http://www.jimtrader.com/page17.html

We picked it up at a Indian Motorcycle shop/HD dealer. Put a lot of miles on that little bike.

Now why was I in the scooter section, and what does a Tora have to do with scooters?

65fl
65fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
I'm familiar with those bikes.

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote