Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #1531
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Cash Money
yep - site still works but the kit for the DR 650 is gone! I'm sure it was there a few months ago.
Hello Mr. Cash, (I am a big fan BTW )

We sold out of the DR650 kit. Just could not make a decent profit on these, so we have an alternative. Buy the Hepco Becker side racks, and buy our Caribou ALS luggage system for Hepco Becker racks, and Viola! You have a great system with the same features as our original all-Caribou system.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #1532
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,644
Hi Rodger,

Excuse if this has been asked, I started in on this thread on page 90. I'm interested in replacing my Givi's with your ALS system and after I bend the Givi rack (and I know I will) how much trouble will it be after replacing the Givi rack with your rack to refit the Caribou cases to the Caribou rack, hardware wise? I realize the smart money is to just buy your entire system but I'm lacking that smart money at the moment.

And is there a top load side case option in the future?

Cheers
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #1533
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob
Hi Rodger,

Excuse if this has been asked, I started in on this thread on page 90. I'm interested in replacing my Givi's with your ALS system and after I bend the Givi rack (and I know I will) how much trouble will it be after replacing the Givi rack with your rack to refit the Caribou cases to the Caribou rack, hardware wise? I realize the smart money is to just buy your entire system but I'm lacking that smart money at the moment.

And is there a top load side case option in the future?

Cheers
Well, the holes in the cases will be in totally different places, so changing from our ALS luggage to regular full Caribou won't be easy. Just a thought - Givi racks are easily bent back into shape or welded, and they are relatively cheap to replace.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #1534
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Roger-

I'm interested in your luggage system for my '08 KTM 990A but I'm a little concerned that the pelican cases won't be able to take the heat from the stock exhaust cans. Have any of your customers had problems along these lines, and do you guaranty your system against them? On a related note, I'd eventually like to add Neduro's 2 into 1 exhaust and auxiliary fuel tank - are there any compatibility issues here that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Brian
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #1535
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Hi. Fellow Boulder County resident here.

I have been looking for some mention of the Hepco Becker rack option on the Caribou Cases website. I am interested in seeing what can be done with those and 35L Pelicans.

Being a KLR owner, and recently unemployed, cost is a major issue. I like the value-add that you have done over raw Pelican cases, and would like to source from you if possible.

Cheers!

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #1536
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideimal
Roger-

I'm interested in your luggage system for my '08 KTM 990A but I'm a little concerned that the pelican cases won't be able to take the heat from the stock exhaust cans. Have any of your customers had problems along these lines, and do you guaranty your system against them? On a related note, I'd eventually like to add Neduro's 2 into 1 exhaust and auxiliary fuel tank - are there any compatibility issues here that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,

No heat related problems noted from the folks that have Caribou on the KTM 990/950. You are good to go, and if there were a problem we'll take care of it, but there will not be a problem.

I'm not familiar with Neduro's product, but if it stays within the outer profile of the stock exhaust, and is not shorter than the stock exhaust, then you are good to go.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #1537
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
Hi. Fellow Boulder County resident here.

I have been looking for some mention of the Hepco Becker rack option on the Caribou Cases website. I am interested in seeing what can be done with those and 35L Pelicans.

Being a KLR owner, and recently unemployed, cost is a major issue. I like the value-add that you have done over raw Pelican cases, and would like to source from you if possible.

Cheers!
Interestingly, the only bike that Hepco Becker has no rack for is the 2008 and newer KLR 650. They plan to have one, but nothing yet. What year is your bike?

BTW - The cost of getting the Hepco Becker racks and our ALS luggage for Hepco Becker is about the same as a complete Caribou luggage set.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #1538
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

New 36 Liter Caribou Top Loading Luggage System

Introducing the new Caribou 36 Liter Top Loading Luggage System. This system utilizes the nearly indestructible and waterproof Pelican 1440 Top Loading case with our integrated lid lock for security. As with all our cases these come with the original manufacturer’s Lifetime Guarantee.

Until now we were unable to offer the Pelican 1440 case due to several design issues, but with our new Caribou ALS attach system and Hepco Becker racks these issues are resolved. The Hepco Becker racks fit lower on the back of the case. This eliminates interference between the rack and the fins on the back of the 1440 case and allows the cases to fit closer to the rack and narrower on the bike. The width of this system (depending on the bike) will be 40”-44” (1m-1.12m) across the top of the cases and a narrower 36”-40” (.97m-1.07m) across the bottom of the cases. Although not ideal for lane splitting on a California Freeway, the narrower width across the bottom of the cases is fine for adventure touring.

The 9” (228mm) x 18” (457mm) top opening easily swallows up your gear. The retractable handle and wheels offer fantastic ease of use when lugging your gear around camp, at hotels, or at your place of work. The handles and wheels are easily removed (instructions provided) if you prefer just the basic case and lighter weight. The weight of one case with lock and ALS hardware is 13 lbs 12 oz without handles and wheels, and 16 lbs 3 oz with handles and wheels. The lids open toward the bike so you want to your top case to be 20” (508mm) wide or narrower to allow easy access the contents of the case (our 35L and 36L top cases work well). The Caribou ALS system bolted to the back of the case offers a strong, lockable attachment system – the cases are on and off the bike in seconds. German made Hepco Becker racks are some of the finest and strongest luggage racks available, and they are widely distributed around the world. The complete package of Pelican/Caribou 1440 cases, Caribou ALS attach system, and the Hepco Becker rack offers unmatched strength, durability, security, ease of use, and value in a top loading design. We will also be offering the 1440 case with integrated lid lock as a "case only" product. Here are some photos of this system on my own BMW F650GS….

With Wheels and handles...

Without wheels and handles (those side handles come off easy too)

At the hotel....

Case only without wheels and handles...

Please visit www.cariboucases.com for more information, pricing, and to order. It will be a few days before we have all the details on the web site. Thank you.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 02-11-2009 at 07:11 AM
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #1539
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Wow, now that is some kick-ass luggage.

Is this for any of the HB racks, or just special ones?
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #1540
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Nice!

Questions:

1. Do you have a picture of the bike with luggage mounted from farther away (side view)?

2. How does the width compare with the handlebars (F650GS)?

Thanks
Brett
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #1541
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey
Wow, now that is some kick-ass luggage.

Is this for any of the HB racks, or just special ones?
Any HB rack will work except those that were supplied as original equipment on the KTM 950/990 and the Buell Ulysses. The tabs at the back of the rack were made different for the OEM version of the racks.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #1542
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
Nice!

Questions:

1. Do you have a picture of the bike with luggage mounted from farther away (side view)?

2. How does the width compare with the handlebars (F650GS)?

Thanks
Brett
I don' have the type of pic you are looking for but I'll try to snap one in the next few days. The width of the cases at the top is about 4-5 inches wider than the bars, but at the bottom of the cases it about 0-1" wider.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #1543
pathfinder3
WR400

Oddometer: 1
Roger, I purchase the 36L cases for my 2008 BMW R1200 GSA. The racks fit perfectly on the bike. Very nice system. Thank you.

Joe
pathfinder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #1544
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder3
Roger, I purchase the 36L cases for my 2008 BMW R1200 GSA. The racks fit perfectly on the bike. Very nice system. Thank you.

Joe
Thank you Joe. It is official, the Caribou system fits the 2008 and newer R1200GS Adventure (and of course the regular R1200GS as well).
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #1545
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Any HB rack will work except those that were supplied as original equipment on the KTM 950/990 and the Buell Ulysses. The tabs at the back of the rack were made different for the OEM version of the racks.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote