Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #1576
atFault
Logical Positivist

Oddometer: 93
Not trying to nitpick, but I have a few things I have not been able to figure out based on the Caribou site, the Pelican Cases site and this thread. I hope someone can shed some light on it.

I should mention that there is some specific gear that I need to pack into a case to make them worthwhile. One is specific to actual opening size and then another instance is total combined volume. Also, I would dearly like for the cases to actually be Pelicans and not the SKB or Hardigg since I have spare parts for Pelicans and special inserts for some models.

First, looking at the top loading 36L set, which to the best of my knowledge is based on a Pelican box case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.cariboucases.com
The 9 (228mm) x 18 (457mm) case top opening easily swallows up your gear.
The only Pelican case that is top loading that comes close to that is the 1440, but the specs from Pelican's site are: 17.10" x 7.50" x 16.00" or 43.4 x 19 x 40.6 cm internal, which works out to 33.5 liters. So the opening dimensions aren't the same and the volume is not the same. (The Caribou Cases site does not list the dimension for depth for the 36L top load.)

And then the 35L side load, based on the 1550, is listed as 48cm (18.9") x 36.6cm (14.4") x 19.7cm (7.75") internal on www.cariboucases.com, which is 34.6 liters. On Pelican's site the dimensions are 18.43" x 14.00" x 7.62" or 46.8 x 35.5 x 19.3 cm, which works out to 32.1 liters.

I hope this will all make sense as I want to be sure what is going to end up on my door step when I hit the 'International Add to Cart' button.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #1577
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by atFault
Not trying to nitpick, but I have a few things I have not been able to figure out based on the Caribou site, the Pelican Cases site and this thread. I hope someone can shed some light on it.

I should mention that there is some specific gear that I need to pack into a case to make them worthwhile. One is specific to actual opening size and then another instance is total combined volume. Also, I would dearly like for the cases to actually be Pelicans and not the SKB or Hardigg since I have spare parts for Pelicans and special inserts for some models.

First, looking at the top loading 36L set, which to the best of my knowledge is based on a Pelican box case.

The only Pelican case that is top loading that comes close to that is the 1440, but the specs from Pelican's site are: 17.10" x 7.50" x 16.00" or 43.4 x 19 x 40.6 cm internal, which works out to 33.5 liters. So the opening dimensions aren't the same and the volume is not the same. (The Caribou Cases site does not list the dimension for depth for the 36L top load.)

And then the 35L side load, based on the 1550, is listed as 48cm (18.9") x 36.6cm (14.4") x 19.7cm (7.75") internal on www.cariboucases.com, which is 34.6 liters. On Pelican's site the dimensions are 18.43" x 14.00" x 7.62" or 46.8 x 35.5 x 19.3 cm, which works out to 32.1 liters.

I hope this will all make sense as I want to be sure what is going to end up on my door step when I hit the 'International Add to Cart' button.

Thanks
The dimensions of the cases on the Pelican web site are approximate. We fill the cases with water to determine volume accurately. The dimensions of each case is on our web site www.cariboucases.com. The 35L is Pelican, 36L is Hardigg, and 40L is SKB. Thank you.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #1578
atFault
Logical Positivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
The dimensions of the cases on the Pelican web site are approximate. We fill the cases with water to determine volume accurately. The dimensions of each case is on our web site www.cariboucases.com. The 35L is Pelican, 36L is Hardigg, and 40L is SKB. Thank you.
Thanks for the quick reply.

You stated that the 36L is the Hardigg, but looking through your site some more just now I noticed the "Complete Side Luggage Systems Based on 36 Liter Pelican 1440 Top Loading Cases" at the top of the page for the '36L TOP LOADING LUGGAGE' section. Has this changed?

Also, the 9" x 18" opening that you have listed on your site will work. The 17.1" x 7.5" that Pelican states, will not. Again, not trying to be a pain, but one opening is functional and the other is unusable to me. I wish I had access to these to test my gear out before buying, but unfortunately I do not.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #1579
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by atFault
Thanks for the quick reply.

You stated that the 36L is the Hardigg, but looking through your site some more just now I noticed the "Complete Side Luggage Systems Based on 36 Liter Pelican 1440 Top Loading Cases" at the top of the page for the '36L TOP LOADING LUGGAGE' section. Has this changed?

Also, the 9" x 18" opening that you have listed on your site will work. The 17.1" x 7.5" that Pelican states, will not. Again, not trying to be a pain, but one opening is functional and the other is unusable to me. I wish I had access to these to test my gear out before buying, but unfortunately I do not.

Thanks
Yes, the 36L TOP LOADING cases are indeed Pelican. The 36L side loaders are Hardigg.

The 36L Pelican top loaders have an opening of exactly 17-7/8" x 8-7/8"
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #1580
atFault
Logical Positivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Yes, the 36L TOP LOADING cases are indeed Pelican. The 36L side loaders are Hardigg.

The 36L Pelican top loaders have an opening of exactly 17-7/8" x 8-7/8"
Thanks for taking the time to get those numbers.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #1581
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,416
Hey roger, quick question for you. Did you stop producing the top case for the single cylinder f650gs, can't seem to find it on your site. A freind was interested in purchasing a top case that's all.#

Also my, pannier / top box setup on the dakar is still going great
Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #1582
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
Hey roger, quick question for you. Did you stop producing the top case for the single cylinder f650gs, can't seem to find it on your site. A freind was interested in purchasing a top case that's all.#

Also my, pannier / top box setup on the dakar is still going great
HI RC,

Yes, we ran out of them recently and don't plan to make any more. thanks for checking.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #1583
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Hello, I bought your side cases system for my R1150 GS several years ago, well, actually when you first started selling them. I'm interested in possibly getting the 40L top box now for a long ride I plan to do soon and I'm wondering if the box is big enough to secure a full face helmet in it? I need to know soon if I will have time to get it here and installed before I leave. Thanks. Neville.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #1584
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Hello, I bought your side cases system for my R1150 GS several years ago, well, actually when you first started selling them. I'm interested in possibly getting the 40L top box now for a long ride I plan to do soon and I'm wondering if the box is big enough to secure a full face helmet in it? I need to know soon if I will have time to get it here and installed before I leave. Thanks. Neville.
Our 40L top case does not fit a helmet. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #1585
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Thanks for getting back to me. Well, it was just a thought. I will not buy a hard top case that will not secure my helmet. Just a thought that you might consider for sales. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this line of thought. Hell, my cheap JC Whitney medium that I have on another bike holds a helmet. Hate to mount that with my nice Pelicans though.

Anyway, maybe I will order the rack mount alone and work something out. Can you tell me if the top box rack mount is compatible with your early side mounts for the Pelican cases that I already bought fom you? Thanks. Neville.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #1586
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me. Well, it was just a thought. I will not buy a hard top case that will not secure my helmet. Just a thought that you might consider for sales. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this line of thought. Hell, my cheap JC Whitney medium that I have on another bike holds a helmet. Hate to mount that with my nice Pelicans though.

Anyway, maybe I will order the rack mount alone and work something out. Can you tell me if the top box rack mount is compatible with your early side mounts for the Pelican cases that I already bought fom you? Thanks. Neville.
Hi Neville,

The top case latch hardware is different from the side case hardware.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #1587
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
I will not buy a hard top case that will not secure my helmet.
Many people agree with you. It isn't that Roger hasn't looked at it, too, but there isn't a suitable Pelican or Storm case to work with. The Pelican 340 cube weighs 24 pounds empty
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #1588
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
Rockster Luggage

Do you know what would be the appropriate option for side luggage for my 2004 rockster? Wondering if the r1150gs set-up would fit my bike....

Thanks.
BlueBlazerIrregular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #1589
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazerIrregular
Do you know what would be the appropriate option for side luggage for my 2004 rockster? Wondering if the r1150gs set-up would fit my bike....

Thanks.
The R1150GS system would not fit the Rockster. I don't know of any rack for this bike other than the BMW products.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #1590
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hello, I have come across a set of your 35 liter (1550) cases recently and I would like to purchase a set of your mounting racks for my 1995 R1100GS. I believe your website says there is a 6 week waiting list for this item. Is this correct or can I get this rack sooner? Thanks.
2wheelsgone is offline   Reply With Quote