User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #2041
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Case kit for R1200GSA OEM racks?

Roger, straight to the point: can you do a kit for installation of your cases onto the R1200GSA OEM racks? These racks are strong and well made, and I figure there'd have to be plenty of potential customers, given the huge numbers of these bikes out there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be seeking a Pelican rig for these racks....

Al B.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #2042
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
Roger, straight to the point: can you do a kit for installation of your cases onto the R1200GSA OEM racks? These racks are strong and well made, and I figure there'd have to be plenty of potential customers, given the huge numbers of these bikes out there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be seeking a Pelican rig for these racks....

Al B.
Don't see this one working. Putting a flat backed Pelicase onto the cranked rack on the exhaust side isn't going to look pretty.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #2043
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:

Al B.
Hi Al,

The problem is that the exhaust side of the OEM rack has a curve in it. It would require some kind of brace for the upper part of the case, and this will add cost to our kit. I suppose you could fill the space created behind the upper/back of the case with a tool tube or something to make use of it. Can you send me a few pics of your OEM rack on the bike without the cases attached?

-rog
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #2044
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
Hi Al,

The problem is that the exhaust side of the OEM rack has a curve in it. It would require some kind of brace for the upper part of the case, and this will add cost to our kit. I suppose you could fill the space created behind the upper/back of the case with a tool tube or something to make use of it. Can you send me a few pics of your OEM rack on the bike without the cases attached?

-rog
Thanks Roger. I don't actually have the racks on my bike yet - as they're currently in transit from a FleaBay vendor!

I just couldn't resist a bargain! I'm beginning to think I should have done exactly that. I guess I need to make some decisions...

Al.

PS: do you guys have an Australian agent?

X-Rated screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 12:35 PM
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #2045
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Thanks Roger. I don't actually have the racks on my bike yet - as they're currently in transit from a FleaBay vendor!

I just couldn't resist a bargain! I'm beginning to think I should have done exactly that. I guess I need to make some decisions...

Al.

PS: do you guys have an Australian agent?
No dealers in Australia, we ship direct worldwide.

-rog
Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #2046
kmroxo
Reno Rider

Oddometer: 344
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a thumbs up Caribou Cases. Roger was quite helpful assisting me in "creating" a quickly detachable top case set up based on the Givi Monokey system for a R1200GS. Excellent customer service and excellent products. If you want the full info on what/how I did check it out here.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #2047
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmroxo View Post
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a thumbs up Caribou Cases. Roger was quite helpful assisting me in "creating" a quickly detachable top case set up based on the Givi Monokey system for a R1200GS. Excellent customer service and excellent products. If you want the full info on what/how I did check it out here.
Hey, that worked pretty good didn't it. Did you have to drill the holes in the top plate for our hardware, or did existing ones work?

-rog
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #2048
kmroxo
Reno Rider

Oddometer: 344
Existing holes worked just fine. I thought it worked out even better than planned. I didn't have to make any modifications at all, just had to figure out how far back I wanted to mount the case. We just cut some of the foam to place the camera, lens and other stuff. Plenty of room for extra lenses, filters, and whatever else he wants to get in the future.

kmroxo screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 04:44 PM
kmroxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #2049
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Our complete Caribou side luggage systems for the new 2012 V-Strom 650 are in stock and ready to ship.....

We are using Hepco Becker "Lock-It" (easily removable) racks for this system and our super-tough side cases based on Pelican, Storm and SKB. No photos yet but we'll get them done soon.

Anyone in the Denver-Boulder area that can lend us this bike for a couple of hours will get a killer deal on side case system or a top case. We need to get the top case done and take photos. Send me an email please.
So are you eventually going to fab up a "Caribou" rack for the 2012 strom or will you be sticking just with the heppco becker? And if not, can you explain why?

thx

btw, I hope to have a 2012 fairly soon. If you have not gotten one to use for your prototyping work, perhaps I can stop by.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #2050
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Couple pics of the Caribou 36 liter luggage / Hepco Becker racks on my Yamaha Super Tenere:

Rear view:

Front view:

Very satisfied with the system.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #2051
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
So are you eventually going to fab up a "Caribou" rack for the 2012 strom or will you be sticking just with the heppco becker? And if not, can you explain why?

thx

btw, I hope to have a 2012 fairly soon. If you have not gotten one to use for your prototyping work, perhaps I can stop by.
Yes, we still need an '12 DL650 for the top case work, so send me an email when you get the bike. Very much appreciate it. We'll probably stick with HB racks on this bike because they have the Lock-It removeable feature that is popular.

-rog
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #2052
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Yes, we still need an '12 DL650 for the top case work, so send me an email when you get the bike. Very much appreciate it. We'll probably stick with HB racks on this bike because they have the Lock-It removeable feature that is popular.

-rog
Thanks Roger,

I'll let you know when I get it.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #2053
Chef Gareth
Live 2 Ride

Oddometer: 215
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with the after sales service from Roger thanks for sorting out my problem and responding to my email so quickly. I will be ordering more parts from Caribou and will be recomending his business when ever possible to other ADV riders.
JR50 2006 (Daughters)
Chef Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #2054
triumphtiny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78

Hi Roger,

Love the 34L box for my Tiger. I'll be ordering 40L bags soon.
Thanks for a great product.
Paul
triumphtiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #2055
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Thank you for the kinds words and support gentlemen.

A quick reminder that we still need the new 2012 V-Stroms (DL 650 & 1000) to finish the top case mount design. For those in the Denver/Boulder CO area, get a great discount for letting us use your bike for an hour or two. Contact me roger@cariboucases.com.

Thank you!

-roger