Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #2131
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
I just received my my 25L topcase for my G650GS a few days ago and the install went nice and smooth. The quality of the hardware looks great and I think it's going to be a great piece of gear to have.
Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you like the product. Pics, let's see some pics!
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #2132
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
I am more familiar with the Gobi side luggage with the double wall, but assume the top case is the same construction. Our case is lighter, and perhaps has the edge on durability. Our top case is attached via four quarter-turn fasteners inside the case, whereas the Gobi has the external bail-type latch, so our attachment system will have the edge on durability as well. 42L is pretty big, so if you need that much room it would be the better solution for you, but I personally really don't like a top case that big. Hope this helps.

-rog
Rog,

I just sent you a PM. Thanks for the help.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #2133
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you like the product. Pics, let's see some pics!
Hi Roger, here are some pics for the kit I ordered. I must say that the parts look and feel great.... QUALITY! Everything was packaged very nice and the instructions were good as well. The installation was very easy and the only problem (and not your fault at all!) was one of the bolt holes in the bike seemed a bit jacked from the BMW factory, so I will add an extra nut to the mounting bolts since there is enough room to add them. The only thing that could possibly make this kit better would be mounting bolts with torx head like the factory bolts that were replaced, but by no means a deal breaker! I'm sure it's probably a sourcing issue that would probably cost more to supply or possibly cause a fitting issue with the case... Like I said, not a deal breaker!

The parts:

The install:

Ooops, mising a couple bolts in this shot, but they are in now.

steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #2134
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Roger is one of THE best luggage GURUs ever!!!
This is well known.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #2135
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Nice photos Steve. I think it is always good to have lots of user photos of your product. I'll check into Torx fasteners for certain applications like this one. We do buy a lot of fasteners and getting them in the material we want in all the different lengths and sizes and types can be a challenge.

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Eakins, I'll do my best to live up to that
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #2136
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

New Web Site

Some of you may have noticed we have a brand new web site. There are several improvements over the old one including image enlargement/magnify, more shipping method choices (domestic US), my account creation, email list joining, Facebook and Twitter buttons, track your order, easier configuration of product, and a lot more. Note also that we made a product name change in order to avoid confusion. The 36L cases are now called "Storm 35L" and the 35L cases are now "Pelican 35L." They are within 1/2 liter of each other so the size is pretty much the same. There have been a few glitches over the past few days, but we're getting them fixed, so if you have any troubles during checkout process please call us 303-786-8947 or email me roger@cariboucases.com. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #2137
Northwest_Rider
Asphault intravert

Oddometer: 3
Question Luggage system questions

Hello Roger,

I plan to purchase a complete 35L Storm Cases luggage system for my KLR late next week when some funds hit the bank. Regarding the cases, is there much difference in durability between the 'Storm' cases and the regular Pelican cases? Do you know how much of a weight difference there is, or is it negligible?

Also- are you aware if anyone has attempted to adapt a hard rifle scabbard to any of your Caribou rack systems? I often like to go target shooting so this is something I'd like to explore. I have researched this idea but cannot find much manufactured specifically for mounting to motorcycles- only ATVs. It appears that Kolpin makes some reasonably nice hard plastic scabbards that might work for certain rifles, although I cannot tell from a catalog if there would be a suitable way of mounting them to a side luggage rack vertically at an angle. (I don't think you could mount to the forks on a KLR because of the fairing and radiator.) I was wondering if you might be aware of a good way to make them detachable from your rack system?

After reading many of your posts and responses on here- it is impressive to see someone so dialed in to their customer base. You obviously sell a great product and I am very much looking forward to my purchase.

Thanks!
Northwest_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #2138
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest_Rider View Post
Hello Roger,

Also- are you aware if anyone has attempted to adapt a hard rifle scabbard to any of your Caribou rack systems? I often like to go target shooting so this is something I'd like to explore. I have researched this idea but cannot find much manufactured specifically for mounting to motorcycles- only ATVs. It appears that Kolpin makes some reasonably nice hard plastic scabbards that might work for certain rifles, although I cannot tell from a catalog if there would be a suitable way of mounting them to a side luggage rack vertically at an angle. (I don't think you could mount to the forks on a KLR because of the fairing and radiator.) I was wondering if you might be aware of a good way to make them detachable from your rack system?

Thanks!
Your bike didn't come with a gun rack? Lame.

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2139
Northwest_Rider
Asphault intravert

Gun rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Your bike didn't come with a gun rack? Lame.

I AM currently the gun rack!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2140
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

I like that ammo can.

The Storm cases (and SKB) have a slightly thinner wall, so they are lighter than the regular Pelican.

I put the regular Pelican cases at the top of the heap in terms of durability and strength, although the delta between them and the Storm or SKB is not huge.

I think we had a customer mount a rifle to a side rack using 1/2 of our DIY kit for side luggage. Basically you bolt our backing plate to the gun case, and bolt our mount hardware/latch to the opposite side of the backing plate. Getting the center of gravity of the gun/case will be important. I don't have photos of this set-up though. One guy attached a dog carrier this way, to the side of the bike!

Thanks for checking in.

-rog
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #2141
Francisco Gomez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
DR 650 Pelican Base side luggage

Hello Roger this Francisco Gomez from Venezuela, Nice to meet you.
Now I am planing a trip to South America and is necesary to have a Hard side cases, and of course the racks to attached it to motorcycles, in that sense I already Bought a DR650, and I would like that get from you the recomendation and support to get a Hard side cases and rear Racks to attached it to my Suzuki DR 650.
Please could you offer or quote me this products.
Best regards

Quote:
Introducing Caribou Adventure Motorcycle Luggage Systems. The world's toughest and most waterproof motorcycle luggage, and the Original Pelican-Based Motorcycle Luggage Company. The beginning of this thread is updated regularly, so please read this part first.

Current Product Line:
Complete side luggage (pannier) systems in 35 Liter, 36 Liter, and 40 Liter case sizes.
Complete rear top case systems in 25 Liter, 34 Liter, 35 Liter, 36 Liter and 40 Liter sizes.
Side Case Panniers systems designed for Hepco Becker, SW Motech and Givi side luggage racks in 7 different case sizes.
Value-Max extremely affordable side luggage (pannniers) based on 26 Liter Seahorse 720 cases, designed for Givi racks.
Caribou Rear Cargo Plates with mount kits.
Do It Yourself (DIY) mounting kits for side luggage panniers and top cases.
Accessories including our Custom Liners, Inner Bags, Tie-Down Brackets, ROK Straps, Tool Kit Cases, SOLAS Reflective Tape Kits, Lid Organizers, Top Case Back Rest Pads, Moto-Tote Bags and more.
Storage solutions for Scooters.

Our luggage fits all BMW GS bikes, Kawasaki KLR 650 and Versys, KTM 950/990, Suzuki V-Strom 650 and 1000, Triumph Tiger 800 XC and 1200 Explorer, Honda NC700X, and the Yamaha Super Tenere. Our side luggage kits will fit many other bikes with Hepco Becker, SW Motech EVO and Givi Monokey side luggage racks. These are all turn-key systems with lid locks, lid lanyards, elastic retention straps, and optional liners pre-installed by us. The back of the cases are pre-drilled for a no hassle solution, just bolt things together and go.

Product Details:
Caribou Luggage is based on Pelican, Pelican-Storm and SKB cases constructed of ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin featuring heavy-duty watertight o-ring lid seal. They will not crack or shatter like hard plastic or deform & leak like aluminum – even in extreme temperatures. With heavy-duty hinges and latches, caribou cases are nearly indestructible and guaranteed for life. You break it, we replace it free (except shipping costs).

We integrate waterproof lid locks with our own heavy duty catch hardware for security and pry resistance, no generic off-the-shelf cheap parts here…

Dual lid lanyards keep the lid from swinging all the way down when the case is opened. Elastic straps with a center clip to hold your gear into the main cavity of the case. All standard features pre-installed for your convenience….

Our Lid Lanyards have a snap button so you can disconnect them and open the lid completely for easy packing

OptionalCaribou Case Liners give you the best of both worlds of top loading and side loading motorcycle luggage – when you open the case nothing falls out, you can see and access all of your gear easily, and you can leave long items strapped across the rear seat and still get the case open. These liners are made of a strong, weatherproof, mold/mildew and UV resistant material that resists creasing so it doesn’t get caught in the lid seal when you close the case. Snap buttons on the liners and case lid allow you to lay the case flat with the lid fully open. They are pre-installed when ordered as an option/accessory with a new set of Caribou side case luggage, and they are retro-fittable to existing Caribou side cases.

Optional inner bags make packing and carrying your gear a cinch. High quality ballistic nylon with 3/4 length zipper, one outer mesh pocket, one closed outer zip pocket, and handle…

Other accessroies include Tie Down Brackets, ROK Straps, SOLAS reflective tape kits, Lid Organizers, and Foam Sets...

The cases remain totally waterproof after all of our modifications, tested to the extreme submerged in an ice-cold mountain creek for 30 minutes and not a drop inside…

Heavy duty handles with rubber padding. Waterproof air valve automatically equalizes pressure as you change altitudes.

The Caribou latch has a key lock for security that is matched to the lid lock key. A 180 degree turn of the wing knob creates a dual action that holds the case completely tight to the luggage rack. No movement or rattles of any kind, and unlike “puck” or spring-pin fastening devices, the Caribou latch is adjustable to account for normal wear and keep cases tight over many years and many thousands of miles. Turn the wing knob and lift the case off, it is that easy. All heavy gage steel, no flimsy plastic parts holding the case to the bike.

Understand that if you crash hard, these cases are not going to break, they are simply too tough. The force instead is transferred to the luggage rack and the bike’s sub-frame. Therefore, we designed the latch to break-away upon high impact and be field replaceable. Better to break an easily replaceable $25 part than the expensive luggage rack or even more expensive sub-frame of the bike. No other luggage system offers this feature. This is critical when using super tough Pelican Storm and SKB cases…

Our Strong Caribou rack system designed for a clean look. All four corners of the case are supported, and a rear crossbar creates strong box-like structure.Caribou racks are TIG welded and powder coated 3/4" square 14ga steel tubing - the largest and thickest walled tubing used in the industry and much stronger than the 5/8” round and thinner 16ga tubing typically used for motorcycle racks. Easy bolt-on system, no modifications to the bike required. Our racks have super strong butt-welded and gusseted bolt-on points rather than the weaker crimped and drilled tube where cracks and failure usually occur...

Caribou luggage is designed to allow plenty of room for the passenger’s foot and leg for comfortable 2-up riding …

All Caribou side luggage systems are designed to hug the bike’s frame for a narrow width 35” to 38” side-to-side across the cases (depending on bike). Note that our side case systems for Hepco Becker, Giv and SW Motech side racks vary 36"-39" for side loading cases, and our 36L top loading cases add 4" to that overall width…

Caribou Top Case & Cargo Plate systems feature internal QFS™ quick attach/release, integrated waterproof case lid lock, strong steel support brackets, and a rigid aircraft grade aluminum cargo plate. This is the strongest and lightest rear top case solution on the market and helps reduce weight up high in the bike...

Our 34L Rear Top Case holds a full size helmet with room to spare for a mesh jacket...

You have lots of options because we make side luggage panniers designed to fit Hepco Becker, SW Motech EVO, and Givi Monokey PL-type side luggage racks. All of our case and mounting systems have the same industry leading features: rugged design with steel parts, quick attach/release, lockable, field replaceable break-away latch. This offers a significant luggage upgrade that is very affordable, especially if you already have one of these racks. Our side luggage case mount system is also available separately as a DIY kit..

Caribou Side Case Pannier Mount Hardware for Givi Monokey and SW Motech EVO Racks...

Caribou Side Case Pannier Mount Hardware for Hepco Becker Racks...

We don’t just cobble together off-the-shelf parts or attempt to cheaply copy other manufacturer's designs. Caribou Luggage is professionally engineered, tested and manufactured for reliability, quality and safety and is proudly made here in the USA...

Caribou luggage has been tested tough over hundreds of thousands of miles by riders all over the world including our own real-world product testing in Colorado and the brutal back roads of Baja Mexico. When it comes to protecting your gear and your safety, stick with the Pelican Case luggage professionals – Caribou Luggage Systems…

Please visit our web site at www.cariboucases.com for more information and to order. You may call us at 303-786-8947 from 8:00am-5:00pm Monday thru Saturday Mountain Time. Also check out our You Tube video at http://www.youtube.com/user/cariboucases

Thank you!

Roger Pioszak/President
Francisco Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #2142
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Hi Francisco,

The challenge for you is finding a set of side racks for the DR650. We make side luggage that will fit Hepco Becker, Giv and SW Motech, so if you can find a side rack from one of these companies then all you need is a set of our cases with mounts designed to fit the rack. Generally our kits like this run $495 + Shipping.

Thank you.

-roger
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #2143
Northwest_Rider
Asphault intravert

Thanks for the info. I might have to look into the hard gun cases a little more. I see Pelican makes some as well, but they are not scabbards.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #2144
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Hey Roger, have you ever gotten anywhere with Cee Baileys producing a smaller liner than the 1550 that i came up with? http://cariboucases.corecommerce.com...Bags-Pair.html

What about using another sewer using the same concept just sizing it down? That 1520 (& variations) has be a very popular case and liners are the key to fast packing. Moving up you've also got larger cases that the liner is not a great fit too.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #2145
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

BMW R1200GS 40L side luggage on sale!

With the new water cooled BMW R1200GS coming out soon, we need to move some side case system inventory for the current R1200GS and Adventure. While supplies last the 40 liter side case system for the R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure (2008+) are on sale for $695 + shipping. This is a complete side luggage system with cases, mounts, locks, Caribou side racks and all the necessary hardware. Totally waterproof and tough as nails, the 40L cases give you lots of storage space without adding any more width to the bike over our 35L case systems. And they look really nice. Accessories available include inner bags, case liners, reflective tape kits, tie-downs and more. Please visit www.cariboucases.com for more info and to order.

Thank you!