User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #2146
Francisco Gomez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Pelikan Bases for DR 650

Hello Roger nice to meet you, congratulation for your products. ( Soory for this
I have a DR 650 and I would like to get a Side Racks to install Pelikan 1550, but if is possible I would like that it can be dessambly, in order to be importe to my country with a sheaper cost.
best regards

Francisco Gomez screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:25 PM Reason: It was already ansewered but I do not see it
Francisco Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #2147
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,197
Hello,

Sorry but we do not make a system specific for the DR650.

-roger
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #2148
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Thumb Top Case

I purchased the Storm Side Cases and Liner Bags previously and installed them on my Happy Trail Racks. Very pleased with this side luggage set-up.

I just ordered the Complete 40L Top Case Option, which will make camping trips a breeze...
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #2149
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Gomez View Post
Hello Roger nice to meet you, congratulation for your products. ( Soory for this
I have a DR 650 and I would like to get a Side Racks to install Pelikan 1550, but if is possible I would like that it can be dessambly, in order to be importe to my country with a sheaper cost.
best regards
I would look into the Happy Trails side and rear rack solutions.
They are very strong & well mounted systems and they make pannier mount kits
http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...-plus-%29.aspx

Then you couple these with Caribou cases only options
http://cariboucases.corecommerce.com/Cases-Only/

Honestly, I would only recommend the 25/26L cases as they match the size of the DR650.
Those larger cases (35L/Pelican 1550) are just way to large for the smaller DR plus you've got only so much you want to (weight wise) safely load on a DR. It does not have a big monster sub-frame like the larger ADV bikes do. Strong, yes, but not monster load strong.

The advantage to buying pre-built Caribou cases are you get integrated & installed lid locks and lid straps. These are hard parts to source and install right yourself. Trust me i've tried.

I would use a soft bag/dry duffel up top on the rear rack/seat to keep weight lower.

Another side rack top rack combo for use with Caribou Cases is TCI systems
I have not seem these racks in person to judge how they are built or how they all mount, but I use other products from TCI (windshield mounts for Madstad systems & TCI signal re-locator) and those are well-built quality pieces.
https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=731

Here is a picture of Dale's (Fatchance) Dr with Pelican 1520 (25L) side cases so you can see how the size matches properly.
His pelicans are mounted to a side rack of a company that went out of biz years ago, so those 2 options above are your choices.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 11:11 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #2150
eakins
Butler Maps

That setup looks sweet. Who makes those guards? That is a well setup XC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I purchased the Storm Side Cases and Liner Bags previously and installed them on my Happy Trail Racks. Very pleased with this side luggage set-up.

I just ordered the Complete 40L Top Case Option, which will make camping trips a breeze...
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #2151
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Thumb

Thanks. Only one weekend trip with the Caribou side cases, but I really like them and the bag liners. The engine guards are the Happy Trail Nerf Bars. And I love my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC for Adventure Riding.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

PYG RYDR screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:07 PM
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #2152
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Thanks. Only one weekend trip with the Caribou side cases, but I really like them and the liner bags. The engine guards are the Happy Trail Nerf Bars. And I love my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC for Adventure Riding.
Very nice. I've been eying the 800XC too. Rode a friend of mines last winter for a long day when we were in Mexico. Awesome bike!

You'll love those bag liners to quickly take your luggage in and out of those cases. I worked with Cee Bailey's to come up with them. I bought some Caribous way back when for my Strom and emailed CB if they could make a liner for the 1550 Pelican as they make a ton of them for other side cases. http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/motorcycle_bags.html They were very eager to produce something. They sent me a prototype and I gave them my feedback and they tweaked the bags to what you see today. They really are a must accy for any Caribou owner IMO.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #2153
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

New 26L Rear Top Case Systems based on Seahorse 720

Introducing the best value in rear top case systems - the new Caribou 26L rear top case based on the Seahorse 720 waterproof case. The complete system includes a durable Seahorse 720 case with keyed lid latch locks, Caribou cargo plate, Caribou Quick Fasten System (QFS), and all bike-specific mounting hardware. All for only $230 + shipping. Amazing, especially considering nearly the entire system is made in the USA.

The low cost of the Seahorse 720 case belies their strength, durability and waterproofness, they don't look to shabby either....

Keyed lid latch locks included...

Caribou cargo plate with our lightweight and strong quarter-turn Quick Fasten System and all bike-specific mounting hardware is included...

Just put the case onto the cargo plate on the back of the bike, insert 4 quarter-turn fasteners (bail wire actuation, no tools required), lock the lid latchs with the key, and you are off on any adventure ride. These cases can really take a beating.

Available now for BMW GS, Kawasaki KLR 650, Suzuki V-Stroms, Triumph Tiger 800XC & Explorer 1200, Yamaha Super Tenere, and a Universal kit for the DIY'er. Please visit www.cariboucases.com and go to the "Complete Rear Top Cases" category, or just use this link... http://cariboucases.com/Complete-Rear-Top-Case-Systems/26L-Seahorse-Top-Cases/

Thank you!

-roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:37 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #2154
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,739
thanks

i just placed an order for my new 2012 wee strom.

25 L pelican top case system, and hepco pannier racks for the hepco cases i used on my GS.

i'll take a few pics once it's installed. i'm looking forward to using the new bike and luggage.

thanks for the advice and reassurance roger.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #2155
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Triumph Explorer 1200 Caribou Rear Top Case Systems Now Available

Announcing Caribou rear top case systems for the Triumph Explorer 1200. Available in 6 different sizes:
25 Liter based on Pelican 1520 case
26 Liter based on Seahorse 720 case
34 Liter based on B&W case
35 Liter based on Pelican 1550 case
35 Liter based on Pelican-Storm iM2600 case
40 Liter based on SKB I-Series case

Here's the 25 Liter case on the Explorer...

Our rear top cases use the Caribou QFS (Quick Fasten System) and our cargo plate. Very strong, durable, and super light weight, Caribou QFS allows you to add/remove the case from the bike in seconds via four 1/4-turn fasteners through the bottom of the case and into the receptacles on the cargo plate. Sealing washers keep the case waterproof, bails on the quarter-turn studs are easy to actuate (no tools required) and the Pel-Locators keep the case indexed on the plate so you don't have to hunt around to line up the holes in the case with the QFS bases. The cargo plate is great for hauling stuff when the case is not attached...

Accessories available include back-rest pads, tie-down brackets and straps...

Please visit www.cariboucases.com or click here... http://cariboucases.com/ for more info and to order. Thank you!

-roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:37 AM
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #2156
bearbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hepco Becker racks

Hello Roger,

I finally got around to installing my Hepco Becker racks with the 1440 pelicasn cases on my 2010 f8 gs. Very easy. Good instructions with every nut and bolt accounted for. Well done. Thank-you.

Without reading through 144 pages I was wondering if anyone else is reporting a problem with the alignment of the racks and bags? My left side (muffler side) rack is not hanging straight.

it hangs like this \\0ll

not like this ll0ll

does that make sense without real pictures?

the right hand rack and case is near perfect. the back of the case lines up nice and straight with the bike. very nice.
the left is out of whack by close to an inch I would say. very noticeable.

any ideas?

Ken.
bearbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #2157
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbuck View Post
Hello Roger,

I finally got around to installing my Hepco Becker racks with the 1440 pelicasn cases on my 2010 f8 gs. Very easy. Good instructions with every nut and bolt accounted for. Well done. Thank-you.

Without reading through 144 pages I was wondering if anyone else is reporting a problem with the alignment of the racks and bags? My left side (muffler side) rack is not hanging straight.

it hangs like this \\0ll

not like this ll0ll

does that make sense without real pictures?

the right hand rack and case is near perfect. the back of the case lines up nice and straight with the bike. very nice.
the left is out of whack by close to an inch I would say. very noticeable.

any ideas?

Ken.
Hi Ken,

I don't recall anyone bringing this up, and I do know from experience of building side racks that the passenger foot peg brackets can vary quite a bit among bikes of the same model, so some are probably out more than others. You may have one of those further out. When the OEMs weld-up the frames of bikes, the passenger foot peg bracket tubes seem to get no respect. To remedy you can put some M8 size washers behind the lower square plastic bushing on the back of the left case. You can probably put 4-5 washers there. Also, loosen up the bolts that bolt the mounting plates to the bike and try to balance the whole side rack a little more on the bike. You might be able to eek out enough wiggle room to get it more balanced side-to-side

Hope this helps.

-rog
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #2158
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

2007 and earlier KLR 650 Rear Top Cases on Sale!

As part of our effort to reduce inventory on earlier model bikes, we've put all of our Caribou Rear Top Case systems for the 2007 and earlier KLR 650 on sale! Save on these strong, waterproof, and easy on/off top cases in many sizes including 25L, 26L, 34L, 35L and 40L. Every system comes with the case, integrated lid lock, our strong and lightweight QFS (Quick Fasten System), cargo plate, and bike-specific mounting hardware. This is a complete system. Save $25-$40 depending on the size of case.

Please visit www.cariboucases.com to order or click here... http://cariboucases.com/specials.html

Thank you!

-roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:38 AM
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #2159
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
You should put the Pelican side case kits for those old, outdated 2011-2012 Tiger 800's on sale next!! ;0)
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #2160
Boro128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Top case 34 and Panniers 36 top loading 800 xc

Mounts, cases, supplies, packaging and instructions were professionally done. Everything lined up, mounts easily, and detaches quickly.

No rattle on trails or parts vibrating loose. Rain and dust were unable to penetrate.

Only the accessory back rest pad for the top case proved unworthy of the rest of your package.

So, I give you an A!

Very impressive.

Boro128 screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:43 PM Reason: yes
Boro128 is offline   Reply With Quote