ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #781
richc
Beastly Adventurer
 
richc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Baja, Motorcycle Heaven
Oddometer: 7,607
Got mine on - Roger - I replaced those 45mm button heads with 50mm hex heads. I think the hex heads are a better solution, they can be tightened with a 10mm wrench with the top plate in place - I found it was easier to allign if everything was loose. Nice rack, very solid. Thanks for your help.



richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #782
rc mad
Physycotic gecko
 
rc mad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Deeping About
Oddometer: 1,384
Had pretty much the same experience as richc, had to replace the 45mm button heads with longer bolts, i think i used 50 or 55mm bolts
(mid install ride to work to raid the bolt rack ) Other than that it went pretty smooth, just the way i like it

Some piccys of the whole setup, all cases are 1550's Even tho i ordered a 1520 setup Ah well, if i want a 1520 i'll order it from roger








rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #783
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO
 
CaribouCases's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art126
Hi Roger,
I'm interested in your rack and topcase for the BMW Dakar. I mocked one up at home to see what it looked like with a 1550 case. I prefer the rack to follow the lines of the side cases and BMW rack.(as per photo-note sidecases are 1520's). I get the impression from your sample photos that your rack has been designed to be more level with respect to the ground. Is that correct?
Thanks, Art
Art,

I'll have the DAKAR in here again next week and look at tweaking things a bit to align the top case more with the side cases. May be possible with some spacer changes, and maybe not due to the access needed for the seat latch, I'll check into it.
__________________
Roger Pioszak, Caribou Luggage Systems.
Please see the beginning of the Pelican-Based Luggage Thread in the Vendor Forum .
www.cariboucases.com
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #784
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO
 
CaribouCases's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
Had pretty much the same experience as richc, had to replace the 45mm button heads with longer bolts, i think i used 50 or 55mm bolts
(mid install ride to work to raid the bolt rack ) Other than that it went pretty smooth, just the way i like it

Some piccys of the whole setup, all cases are 1550's Even tho i ordered a 1520 setup Ah well, if i want a 1520 i'll order it from roger
OK you guys, looks like I need to change the length of those two front bolts to 50mm. Sorry about that, must be a typo on the parts list. And RC MAD, if you want to swap out for the 1520 just let me know and send me a PM. Finally, I'll be sending you guys (and all who got a top plate) a couple of adhesive-backed plastic pads to stick in front of the two forward rectangle cut-outs (addresses the scratches). And, I'm sending you new front cleats that are a bit longer (just to be on the safe side).
ok, all early product glitches, be gone with you
__________________
Roger Pioszak, Caribou Luggage Systems.
Please see the beginning of the Pelican-Based Luggage Thread in the Vendor Forum .
www.cariboucases.com
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #785
richc
Beastly Adventurer
 
richc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Baja, Motorcycle Heaven
Oddometer: 7,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
ok, all early product glitches, be gone with you
Roger - stop hitting yourself in the head with a brick. It's a great product at a fair price. The 05-07 GS/Dakar market isn't that big - I'd like to thank you for developing and manufacturing this for us.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 AM   #786
rc mad
Physycotic gecko
 
rc mad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Deeping About
Oddometer: 1,384
i'm happy with the 1550 case roger, thanks for the offer tho. I thought the 1550 would look out of place on the back but it sits there nice.

I don't know if you charged me for a 1550 setup, if not pm me and i'll settle the difference. I don't want no for an answer btw

The bolts were nothing and Rich is right, its a top quality product for a fairly small market, You did good
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #787
Art126
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Art,

I'll have the DAKAR in here again next week and look at tweaking things a bit to align the top case more with the side cases. May be possible with some spacer changes, and maybe not due to the access needed for the seat latch, I'll check into it.
Thanks, Roger
Upon closer inspection of the photos I can see why having to open the access door would limit your mounting options somewhat.
I second the above comments, by the way. Thanks for a great product and for being so accessible.
Art
Art126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #788
phekg
1200gsa
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Shepparton, Vic.
Oddometer: 57
Roger, I see on your web site that you have adjusted the system to fit onto the 1200 GSA model and still retain the factory rack. Is it possible to have some pics posted to show the cases both on and off the bike.

Secondly, I see you offer two sizes in the case, the 1520 @25 litres and the 1550 @ approx 35 litres. I am considering the aspect of keeping the rear of the bike as narrow as possible, are the 1520 cases any narrower (on the bike) than the 1550?

Thanks (in anticipation)


Peter
phekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #789
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO
 
CaribouCases's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by phekg
Roger, I see on your web site that you have adjusted the system to fit onto the 1200 GSA model and still retain the factory rack. Is it possible to have some pics posted to show the cases both on and off the bike.

Secondly, I see you offer two sizes in the case, the 1520 @25 litres and the 1550 @ approx 35 litres. I am considering the aspect of keeping the rear of the bike as narrow as possible, are the 1520 cases any narrower (on the bike) than the 1550?

Thanks (in anticipation)


Peter
Hi Peter,

The cases on the 1200GS with our re-designed rack sit exactly as the previous system, so the pics in this thread and on our site are accurate. I'll post a pic of just the new rack/brackets in a few days, along with the new 1200GS/Adventure top cases. The 1520 will be narrower by 1" per side (2" overall). Note that I have not yet made the 1520 case fit our case bracket (formally). There are some issues with raised features on the back of the 1520 case. Also, the 1520 is a day-trip or very light overnight case, not really enough room for multi-day travel. EDIT 2009, the 1520 case is no longer available.
__________________
Roger Pioszak, Caribou Luggage Systems.
Please see the beginning of the Pelican-Based Luggage Thread in the Vendor Forum .
www.cariboucases.com
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone

CaribouCases screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 02:09 PM
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #790
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death
 
nickatnite's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lousy-ana, learing kung pow streetfighting.
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Hi Peter,

The cases on the 1200GS with our re-designed rack sit exactly as the previous system, so the pics in this thread and on our site are accurate. I'll post a pic of just the new rack/brackets in a few days, along with the new 1200GS/Adventure top cases. The 1520 will be narrower by 1" per side (2" overall). Note that I have not yet made the 1520 case fit our case bracket (formally). There are some issues with raised features on the back of the 1520 case. Also, the 1520 is a day-trip or very light overnight case, not really enough room for multi-day travel.
I'm intrested in the top case set up for the 1200GS.
__________________
Dood, lower your expectations a little, the BMW GS isn't the Homecoming Queen OR Prom Queen, it's the band camp girl you really wanna take to the dance cause you know you are gonna have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #791
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO
 
CaribouCases's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
Oddometer: 1,192
BMW R1200GS & Adventure Rear Top Cases and Cargo Plates

The new Caribou rear top case and cargo plate for the BMW 1200GS and Adventure are now available. For the Adventure model the system mounts to the stock stainless steel tail rack. Quick attach/release system allows you to take the case off the cargo plate in seconds. Cargo plate is 12" x 15" aircraft aluminum, mounted very solidly to the bike. Please visit www.cariboucases.com for more details and to order. Here are some basic pics (1550 size case shown) ....

Stock 1200GS rear tail rack position....





Cargo plate in both positons...



1200GS Adventure attachment to rear rack, two 1/2" square tubular steel rails run under the aluminum plate for maximum stiffness and support....

__________________
Roger Pioszak, Caribou Luggage Systems.
Please see the beginning of the Pelican-Based Luggage Thread in the Vendor Forum .
www.cariboucases.com
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone

CaribouCases screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 03:19 PM
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #792
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death
 
nickatnite's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lousy-ana, learing kung pow streetfighting.
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
The new Caribou rear top case and cargo plate for the BMW 1200GS and Adventure are now available.
1200GS Adventure attachment to rear rack, two 1/2" square tubular steel rails run under the aluminum plate for maximum stiffness and support....

Is there any way you can take a picture of the side view of this rack? And/or an underview of how the mounts attach.

My problem is this. Since I put this GSA rack on my GS, I have no way to mount my Jesse box and am looking for an alternative to the Jesse and your product is looking better every day......

THanks
__________________
Dood, lower your expectations a little, the BMW GS isn't the Homecoming Queen OR Prom Queen, it's the band camp girl you really wanna take to the dance cause you know you are gonna have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #793
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO
 
CaribouCases's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite
Is there any way you can take a picture of the side view of this rack? And/or an underview of how the mounts attach.

My problem is this. Since I put this GSA rack on my GS, I have no way to mount my Jesse box and am looking for an alternative to the Jesse and your product is looking better every day......

THanks
4 L-brackets attach the the sides of the Adventure rack...

Our 1/2" steel tubing rails bolt to these L brackets....

and our aluminum plate bolts to the top of the steel rails. So the aluminum plate ends up about 1" above the stock Adventure rack. When you put 1/2" steel rails under the aluminum plate, you end up with a very stiff and strong platform.
__________________
Roger Pioszak, Caribou Luggage Systems.
Please see the beginning of the Pelican-Based Luggage Thread in the Vendor Forum .
www.cariboucases.com
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #794
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer
 
johnpitts01's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Oddometer: 836
Honda XR 650L

Roger:

Any further development on a system for the XR650L?

I cuurently have Ortlieb's dry bags but I'm looking to upgrade to hard bags. I'm considering buying the pelican cases from you and manufacturing some bracketry for mounting.

Let me know your thoughts and current devel.opments for the XR650.


Thanks, John
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #795
Ishai
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore MD
Oddometer: 80
Uly cases

I installed the cases last sunday and they are absulutly great. Took a 300 mile trip to some rather rough roads in WV and they felt great. Thanks for a great product.
Ishai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014