Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #901
thmpa
Carpe Diem

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana
Alternative methods would be to shorten the factory stalk, mount smaller aftermarket blinkers, or possibly go to a surface mounted blinkers on the rear fender. Any other ideas?
How about getting a piece of sheet metal and cutting a hole in one end, welding the other to the stock mount, and extend the whole mount back?

"By God Woodrow, it's not dyin' I'm talkin' about! It's livin'." - Gus
thmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #902
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
sw-motech racks with pelican cases

Took me about a half hour to bolt pelican boxes to my SW racks, rack and boxes pop off in about 30 seconds. I like not having heavy racks on there if im not using them.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 08:56 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #903
Foot dragger
singletracker

Can be locked to bike if desired.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #904
Foot dragger
singletracker

These are some beefy boxes, 220.00$ with tax and delivery.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #905
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,632
Foot
I think I understand, but just to be clear, these are SW-Motech "quick disconnect" racks? you mind saying what ye paid for the racks themselves??? To me, the boxes are the easy part....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
These are some beefy boxes, 220.00$ with tax and delivery.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #906
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,194
Whoa! Footdragger, I'm sorry but this is a thread about Caribou Luggage systems. Can you please take the discussion of other racks from other companies to a different Forum, such as Equipment? I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to keep this thread focused on the systems I build and avoid any confusion with another company. And I'm also not interested in promoting racks from a nother company in this particular thread. I hope you understand. Thank you.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #907
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
I think by late April I'll have the KLR and the V-Strom done, KLR sooner of course. After that I'm not sure of the priority yet. Maybe I'll post a poll? Transalps and African Twins would require a European partnership since we can't get them stateside. I also have to design to the latest model for it to truly make sense. Lots of possibilities I've yet to explore.
Shame you're the other side of Denver - Jim Rowley in Colorado Springs has an Africa Twin, I believe.

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #908
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,085
Uly top case interference

Roger,
Will you bags and mounts interfere with the factory Ulysses top case and mounts? As you don't make a top case for the Uly this looks like my only option.
Thanks,
Joe
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #909
Readymeal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hi Roger,

I ve been using your system for about 6 month now...mainly off road(read logging roads, forest road...) on my KLR650. i m very happy with them and will probably get a new set on my future bike.

i ve got a question for you.

why did you design your system to be "ejectable" on impact?(it seems to save the case, subframe and the rack from major trauma, but i also like the fact that keeping them fixed protect my legs and made the bike easier to pick up)

Now here s some feeback

after few falls or hitting logs while riding to close to them(on each side)...i noticed few things.

the cases have now some kind of play when installed on the rack (they are moving back and forward).

nothing is straight anymore...not only the locking device gets bent but also few other steel parts attached to the case. I always found that temporary job can be done on the trail and keep me going(like reversing the locking tab and adding somef electrical tape to make it thinker and being able to hold onto the rack...however even at home with more tools the result is still not perfect. However i dont know how far i would have been able to go with an aluminum fixed case system... i might have to take everything apart and straiten everything.

thx again Roger for your system. I plan to drop by your shop(if you don t mind) in September after crossing Canada from West to East and coming back by Florida, Texas and coming up by the great divide trail(if the bike can make it...of course) So you can have a look at it if you ever need a used/beaten model to improve your system.
Readymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #910
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readymeal
Hi Roger,

I ve been using your system for about 6 month now...mainly off road(read logging roads, forest road...) on my KLR650. i m very happy with them and will probably get a new set on my future bike.

i ve got a question for you.

why did you design your system to be "ejectable" on impact?(it seems to save the case, subframe and the rack from major trauma, but i also like the fact that keeping them fixed protect my legs and made the bike easier to pick up)

Hi Ready,

It takes a pretty hard crash to break the compression latch and eject a case. Attaching the case so it would not eject no matter what would probably result in a bent rear subframe. So we think it is more likely to save the bike from damage to have the case eject, but it all depends on the crash. Based on crash reports from customers, I wouls say most of the time the compression latch breaks, and sometimes a bracket will bend or break. Everything is made of steel so field weld/repair is certainly possible.

Please do call and stop by when you come through, or before then if you need some parts or any help.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #911
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
Roger,
Will you bags and mounts interfere with the factory Ulysses top case and mounts? As you don't make a top case for the Uly this looks like my only option.
Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe,

The stock Uly top case will not work with the Caribou side cases, as far as I know.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #912
SledgED
dipsh*t noob

Oddometer: 194
Case color options

Roger,
Forgive me if this has already been address, but is it possible to order a set (with subframe and mounting) of caribou cases that utilize the Pelican 1550 (for a 650 GS) in silver? If so, I assume there would need to be some sort of additional time and cost. Can you provide an estimate of these?

many thanks
SledgED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #913
That Aussie Guy
Dances with TKC's

Oddometer: 242
DR 650 system

Hi Roger and congrats on finally getting the DR system up and running. Just a quick question. I, like many of my fellow DR owners have removed that ugly mudguard thingy off the back of our bikes. Is there any other option rather than to just have a metal bar hanging off the back not covering/protecting anything?

Cheers,
Daz.

Photography: www.roamimagery.com
That Aussie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:16 AM   #914
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgED
Roger,
Forgive me if this has already been address, but is it possible to order a set (with subframe and mounting) of caribou cases that utilize the Pelican 1550 (for a 650 GS) in silver? If so, I assume there would need to be some sort of additional time and cost. Can you provide an estimate of these?

many thanks
Silver are available, no extra cost, and we usually have them in stock these days.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #915
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Aussie Guy
Hi Roger and congrats on finally getting the DR system up and running. Just a quick question. I, like many of my fellow DR owners have removed that ugly mudguard thingy off the back of our bikes. Is there any other option rather than to just have a metal bar hanging off the back not covering/protecting anything?

Cheers,
Daz.
I'll have to come up with an alternate rear crossbar that takes into account the missing rear mud flap, but this will take several weeks to get done.

EDIT 2009: The DR650 System is no longer available. Please see our ALS luggage for other options.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 02:19 PM