Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #1366
versite
sticky side down

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Your cases shipped today too.
excellent. the race is on.

also got your phone call, understood on the handles... will let you know about fitment/etc in loving detail, with pictures, and everything.

thank you!

versite
versite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #1367
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
Fastest Caribou in the West!

I see mine shipped too. I'll have to get busy prepping my tail for the bou!

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #1368
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Let me just say that I am SO happy I went with Caribou. Not only is Rog one of us... he has a great product.

Here are some pics of my install if you are curious.

Slideshow

My buddy was going to get some other system. I told him about Caribou and once he saw my system it only took a little peer pressure and some ride report links... he just got his set in a couple days ago.

SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #1369
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Here's one of Rodgers quick attach holding this monster on my bike. No issues.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #1370
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy
slide show was broken for me, but i went up to your main gallery and had a look see at the individual pictures. looks good!

versite
Old 09-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #1371
versite
sticky side down

they came - the racks - they is here

the sw-motech kit for versys showed up. like, uhm, holy crap :)

they are REALLY solid and well built. the drill holes through the frames have welded in inserts to keep crud out. wow. i can barely tell were the join is that make the D for the frame a solid unit. the "legs" are also quite robustly attached.

now, i did have one worry, with the quick releases, both on theft, and safety, so i bought the optional locks which replace one quick release thingy per side. they look pretty solid too. yeah, sure, if someone REALLY wants these off the bike, they're going to use a pry bar or other tools. good luck :)

the fitment kit that came standard with the racks includes a VERY nice taillight relocation kit, quite solid, and heavy. looks pretty much "factory standard". even came with little wires and connectors to get that extra inch or so needed, the wires are something like 5-6 inches long.

the givi fitment kit portion doesn't look especially interesting, but it'll do the job, i'm sure. took a bunch of pictures...

versite

fin
Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #1372
Kynosis
Adventurer

very cool versite! keep us (me) updated! I'm anxious to see how your luggage turns out. I've got the same racks on the way and I'm thinking about the 40L cases. . .so I'm looking forward to seeing what your's look like.
Kynosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #1373
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynosis
very cool versite! keep us (me) updated! I'm anxious to see how your luggage turns out. I've got the same racks on the way and I'm thinking about the 40L cases. . .so I'm looking forward to seeing what your's look like.
well. the racks are installed. lock-tite everywhere but the handle bolt - in case i want (have to) remove that later on. bwa ha ha. roger indicates the grab-handles probably have to go... but we'll see; not sure he used the sw-motechs but regular givi.

the lights looks really easy to relocate... not sure if the wires "as is" are long enough, but i THINK if i drill too little holes through the rear plastic tail what holds the license plate bracket, instead of going AROUND... it might work. then it's a screw driver dealio. otherwise, the include pigtails and crimpers ... will get tossed out ;) i'll just extend the wires between the cable and the quick connects the correct way (solder, seal, heat shrink). crimping? bah :)

mmm - they're probably not LEDs... i wonder what that would involve finding the right kind/bulb. well, when i have them inside to solder later on this week (if i go that route), i'll look up the parts.

now, the hard part - waiting for those hardiggs to show up.

btw, the racks, as installed now, even with those silly quick connects, is VERY VERY solid feeling. i like it. if someone was going to go serious off road, you'd probably just replace the quick connects with the proper bolts, washers, nyla-lock-nut, and safety wire them JUST to make sure. VERY solid indeedy.

and i have a better appreciation of my bike :)

versite
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #1374
Kynosis
Adventurer

yeah, i'd like some LED signals too, haven't looked into it though. Are you getting your cases pre-drilled? or are you doing that yourself?
Kynosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #1375
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynosis
yeah, i'd like some LED signals too, haven't looked into it though. Are you getting your cases pre-drilled? or are you doing that yourself?
i dunno. Roger? :)

though i should find out SOON. they went out last thursday. they might even be here in the leasing office for all i know. if not by friday, i'll enquire of a tracking # offline.

yay!

versite
Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #1376
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
Going into year 3 of running around with Caribou cases on my strom and they are the absolute pants (that's good, FYI.) Everything remains rock solid, easy to get on and off, and they've stood up well to a couple of tipovers.

I got a chance to see a friend's SW-motech mounted Pelicans at a rally, and frankly I couldn't help but feel a little smug. A pelican is a pelican, but the overall design, sizing, shaping and so forth of Roger's racks is so far beyond that of the Motechs that they barely belong in the same category. The Caribous are narrower, create less metal mount crap hanging off the back of the case, and the racks blend much more naturally into the bike when the cases are off.

I'll be caribou'ing up any and all adventure bikes I ride in the future. Big thumbs up to Roger for a great product.

Caribous in action - Hope we brought enough!

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #1377
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,913
Roger,

I'm loving the Caribou cases on my R100GSPD - glad I purchased in time to get the Caribou rack with them!

Now my questions:

I see a "DIY" topcase kit for the 40L and 35L cases. Are you going to make a DIY kit for the 36L case?

Regardless of the 36L kit, can any of the DIY top case kits be purchased without the case (just the hardware)? I ask because I have a 36L case sitting here that I'm not using for anything and it would be great if I could mount it to my GSPD with your excellent mounting hardware.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #1378
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,199
Thank you for the kind words RoadRash. Nice butt pad, is that Polar Bear?

Mr. Metzger, yes you can get just the Caribou Top Case latch system hardware. Our top case system uses a backing plate inside the case, and this doubles as a drill template, assuming you already have one of the cases we sell (Pelican 1550, Storm iM2600, SKB ATA 300). If you already have the case, you will need our cargo plate for your bike, and then the top case latch system hardware (call me for prices).

Now, we never did make a cargo plate for the R100GS, but I'm going to do one since I am now riding an a '94 R100GS pretty much all the time. It is going to be a few months until I get to it.

BTW - Thanks for pointing out the 36L DIY top case missing form the web site, I'll fix that shortly.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #1379
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Here's my KLR with the 40 litre case on it.
Works a treat.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #1380
AirDoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Did you get your F800GS yet?

Hey Roger,

Great product! I just got my F800GS and am wondering if yours is in yet? I would offer to let you borrow mine for mock up, but I'm too far away!

I know many of us 650twin/800 riders are going to be in the market for your luggage. Let us know when your bike arrives.

Thanks!
AirDoc is offline   Reply With Quote