User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #1471
trackin9
n00b

Oddometer: 2
ULY setup is back....

Hey all just checked the Caribou site and the ULY cases are there...no pics but they are listed....

I am getting mine soon....

Check it out... thanks Roger...!!!!
trackin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #1472
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Impatient bump.
Hi Orpheus,

The parts are finally in powder coat, so some final testing next week and then we are set to go.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #1473
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
enquiry

Hi Roger,

I e-mailed you an enquiry yesterday about shipping costs(international). Your webshop caclulates them per each item ordered and my question was is it possible to low the costs when I order a set of the side cases for F800GS along with inner bags, tool kit case and and spare locks - they could be packed inside of the side cases, no extra space needed.
TIA
Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #1474
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Hi Roger,

I e-mailed you an enquiry yesterday about shipping costs(international). Your webshop caclulates them per each item ordered and my question was is it possible to low the costs when I order a set of the side cases for F800GS along with inner bags, tool kit case and and spare locks - they could be packed inside of the side cases, no extra space needed.
TIA
Yes, no problem, I'll refund the Int'l shipping on the items noted when I see your order come through. Thank you.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #1475
Tshusband
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
KLR sidecase positioning

Hi Roger,

How hard would it be to position the mounting rack for the side cases on an '07 KLR to put the cases further forward, for those of us who don't care about passenger foot room. As long as the rider could still hook his heals over the rear pegs I think most would be happy. I just don't like the way so much of the weight in the side cases is so far back. And while I'm asking, is it possible to lower the side cases any? You know the lower and the further forward the load the better the handling. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Is there a reason they seem to be mounted so high and so far back on the bike? Do you have a side view photo of someone sitting on the KLR with his foot on the pegs and the cases on? This would be helpful to see how much room might be available to move the cases. Have you seen the one company who's rack allows for sliding the cases for & aft, depending upon whether or not you have a passenger? I thought that was a very cool idea.
Anyone else care about these requests?
Thanks a bunch. Your product is very tempting.

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RIDE" TDF in '09. COMPLETED!!!
DID I MENTION I AM THE LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE?
Tshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #1476
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshusband
Hi Roger,

How hard would it be to position the mounting rack for the side cases on an '07 KLR to put the cases further forward, for those of us who don't care about passenger foot room. As long as the rider could still hook his heals over the rear pegs I think most would be happy. I just don't like the way so much of the weight in the side cases is so far back. And while I'm asking, is it possible to lower the side cases any? You know the lower and the further forward the load the better the handling. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Is there a reason they seem to be mounted so high and so far back on the bike? Do you have a side view photo of someone sitting on the KLR with his foot on the pegs and the cases on? This would be helpful to see how much room might be available to move the cases. Have you seen the one company who's rack allows for sliding the cases for & aft, depending upon whether or not you have a passenger? I thought that was a very cool idea.
Anyone else care about these requests?
Thanks a bunch. Your product is very tempting.
+1
me interested too but for F800GS.
so is it possible to offer an option of more forward fitting of the side cases for solo riders?
TIA
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #1477
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Our Caribou racks and latch system span nearly the entire length of the back of the case (max strength and stability), so there is no room to move the case forward or back. Our rack design places the case within about 1-2" of being over the rear axle (depending on the bike), so there are no handling issues. Heavily loaded top cases and tail racks are far more of an issue in this sense. Our design with regard to case location on the bike takes into consideration room for passenger's feet on the pegs, allowing some leg room for paddling through deep sand, room for aggressive cornering so the pegs touch before or same time as the leading corner of the case, all the while keeping the cases as low and forward as possible (and designing around exhausts, turn signals, grab rails, etc.). I've seen what Al Jesse has done with his new rack design and with his larger/heavier cases that tended to be further back it makes sense to be able to move them forward. With our cases it is not going to make a huge difference. Our new ALS luggage that fits our Caribou cases to Givi and SW Motech racks can be ordered un-drilled so you can move the cases forward an inch or two. In general though, keeping the tail rack and top case as light as possible will offer far more benefit. Keeping the whole load as light as possbile is going to make THE huge difference. Hope this explains it all, thank you.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #1478
Bowman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2008 GS quetsions

Your system looks good. I've been searching for a while for bags for my new GS. I know how good pelican is. I really like the jesse bags for how they tuck up tight at about 33 inches. I think you said yours are about 38? Does the left bag go on the outside of the exhaust pipe and leave a big gap between the bike and bag? The right side is tighter with no gap? Do you have some more close-up pics of the 08 1200GS? I'm intriged, just need more info.

Thanks,
Bowman
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #1479
Tshusband
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
KLR dimensions please???

Roger,

Thank you for replying so quickly to my KLR positioning question the other day. Your willingness to communicate with customers is very admirable.

Can you please pass along the following measurements in regards to my '07 KLR with your Caribou 1550 cases on your rack system?

1. With the bike held upright, the measurment from the ground up to the bottom of the 1550 sidecase.

2. With the front wheel up against a wall, the measurment from the wall, back to the front of the 1550 sidecase.

Do I understand you correctly that you sell the 1550 cases with your special fittings, to fit to the SW Motech rack? I would only go this route if I was convinced that I wanted to either lower or push forward the sidecases, or both?

Thanks for helping me to make a decision on which system to go with.

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RIDE" TDF in '09. COMPLETED!!!
DID I MENTION I AM THE LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE?
Tshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 AM   #1480
Davi5678
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
What are the prospects of a Suzuki DRZ kit for the 35lt side cases?

(Sorry but I don't have time to read the entire thread if the answer is in there somewhere)
Davi5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #1481
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman
Your system looks good. I've been searching for a while for bags for my new GS. I know how good pelican is. I really like the jesse bags for how they tuck up tight at about 33 inches. I think you said yours are about 38? Does the left bag go on the outside of the exhaust pipe and leave a big gap between the bike and bag? The right side is tighter with no gap? Do you have some more close-up pics of the 08 1200GS? I'm intriged, just need more info.

Thanks,
Bowman
Hi Bowman,

Here is a rear view of the 35L cases on the 1200GS. The left side is about 1" further out from the wheel than the right side. The right side is tucked in close as possible, and there is still room for a tool kit case on the back of the right side main case (also shown in the photo)....
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #1482
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Roger, are your Pelicans only in black, or can we specify other colors? Thanks.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #1483
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshusband
Roger,

Thank you for replying so quickly to my KLR positioning question the other day. Your willingness to communicate with customers is very admirable.

Can you please pass along the following measurements in regards to my '07 KLR with your Caribou 1550 cases on your rack system?

1. With the bike held upright, the measurment from the ground up to the bottom of the 1550 sidecase.

2. With the front wheel up against a wall, the measurment from the wall, back to the front of the 1550 sidecase.

Do I understand you correctly that you sell the 1550 cases with your special fittings, to fit to the SW Motech rack? I would only go this route if I was convinced that I wanted to either lower or push forward the sidecases, or both?

Thanks for helping me to make a decision on which system to go with.
Unfortunately I don't have the KLR here, so I cannot measure these distances, but from the photos here and on our website you may be able to do some estimating. Our ALS luggage for the SW Motech rack does not fit the KLR 650 (the one bike with grab rail interference with our ALS latch). Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #1484
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi5678
What are the prospects of a Suzuki DRZ kit for the 35lt side cases?

(Sorry but I don't have time to read the entire thread if the answer is in there somewhere)
We don't make Caribou racks for the DRZ 400, but we can offer our Caribou ALS 35L Luggage for the Hepco Becker side racks. This product will be available in a week or two. Approximate pricing is $275 for the Hepco Becker racks and about $490 for the 35L ALS luggage plus shipping. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #1485
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Roger, are your Pelicans only in black, or can we specify other colors? Thanks.
We stock the Pelican 1550 cases in black and silver/gray. All other colors are special order and add 2 weeks to the normal 3-4 day lead time to ship.