User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
joe camarda OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
2015 T800 XRx, Panel Removal Question

I'd like to remove and replace the left/right panels (no. 13 below). It seems to be overly complicated! Nevertheless I had a go at it, but was turned back by no. 3 below.

Has anyone removed part 3 "rivet, screw type" (lower center, below diagram)? If so, how?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe camarda View Post
I'd like to remove and replace the left/right panels (no. 13 below). It seems to be overly complicated! Nevertheless I had a go at it, but was turned back by no. 3 below.

Has anyone removed part 3 "rivet, screw type" (lower center, below diagram)? If so, how?

Can't tell much from your image but it's pretty easy. In fact, I'm doing again tomorrow to wire some LED lights in.

Remove the seat, then work your way from the seat to the front removing fasteners. The rivet is a plastic one. Just be careful and you can reuse it.
Onetrack97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,848
I fought that very one last night... pretty much about the time you were posting this, I was in the garage, cussing.

Use a small flat-blade screwdriver. Don't press in, just turn. It'll stay put where a Phillips screwdriver will "cam out" or force you to push in.

As noted elsewhere, I've got a variety of plastic panel rivets; I'm going to see if one of the "push pin" ones work- to remove those, you push the pin further in; to install pull the pin out, put the body in place, then push the pin in flat. Much better design.

Compared to the previous generation, removing the side panels is much, much easier on these bikes. One Allen head at the back, one underneath on the front, the plastic one, and one more inside the inner panel.

Tangential, I'm surprised how reasonably priced the panels are; about $100 USD for both, per side.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote