User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Oddometer: 195
Tiger Explorerer head issue ?

The top end on my Explorer seems to be a bit noisier than when I first bought the bike. Might be my imagination but I don't think so. I have heard that there were some issues with top end failure and that the suspect S/N range was everything prior to 602000. Mine is S/N 551337.
There is no recall. Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
The top end on my Explorer seems to be a bit noisier than when I first bought the bike. Might be my imagination but I don't think so. I have heard that there were some issues with top end failure and that the suspect S/N range was everything prior to 602000. Mine is S/N 551337.
There is no recall. Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.
Start here......this page contains the VIN range.

http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,3966.2300.html
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Thank you.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Thumb

Read up on it & then talk to your dealer to make sure it's within the VIN #s. Then tell them you want the head replaced. All it takes is for the customer to request it. It's a Service Bulletin which Triumph is bending over backwards on to make sure their customers are happy. It will also get you an additional 12 months of engine warranty.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
. It will also get you an additional 12 months of engine warranty.
I keep hearing that, two of my dealers have told me that wasn't true.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
dan650
mississippi

Oddometer: 138
Head Warranty???

Quote:
Read up on it & then talk to your dealer to make sure it's within the VIN #s. Then tell them you want the head replaced. All it takes is for the customer to request it. It's a Service Bulletin which Triumph is bending over backwards on to make sure their customers are happy. It will also get you an additional 12 months of engine warranty.
Please advise us where to find that info at?
I jus got mine out yesterday and would like to know personally where to find that info so i don't have to scramble around and make phone call to get this info..
Thanks in advance.....
Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
dan650
mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post

I jus got mine out yesterday and would like to know personally where to find that info so i don't have to scramble around and make phone call to get this info..

Thanks in advance.....

I jus received a email back from Triumph America and they are saying that there is no additional warranty. You get the 2years and that's it.
Some are saying get it done around the time of valve work good luck with that.
I have about 16 months left and mine Is dun. It was not making the noise but they advise me to get it done, 3 days in the shop and its home. (Miles 7900)
Now I'm waiting on some better weather to get more miles on the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Talked to my dealer and he did confirm that Triumph would replace my head under warranty. I hope to get it taken care of soon before good riding weather gets here.
Relieved to hear that Triumph is stepping up to the plate and taking care of this potential issue before it has a chance to materialize. I look forward to many miles and many years with this bike.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post
I just got mine out yesterday and would like to know personally where to find that info so i don't have to scramble around and make phone call to get this info..
Thanks in advance.....
It looks like you've found some of the info. The best I can do is give you my dealer's website & you can call or write for any additional info. http://www.baxtercycle.com/ I did get an additional 12 months of warranty when I had the work done. I've seen it in writing @ my dealership. Maybe Triumph Corp. has done away with the additional warranty. It was given to everyone who had the head replaced originally. My bike was the 1st one my dealership did. If you do call, ask for Mike. If you send an email, send it to Mike or Jeremy.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
dan650
mississippi

Tiger Explorerer head issue ?

Hey, Thanks I will follow up due to the fact that a lot of people on the dealer side of MF side are clueless and really don't want to research the answer.
But maybe if we get three of the same answers I can call it true.
We will see. Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
dan650
mississippi

Quote:
It looks like you've found some of the info. The best I can do is give you my dealer's website & you can call or write for any additional info. http://www.baxtercycle.com/ I did get an additional 12 months of warranty when I had the work done. I've seen it in writing @ my dealership. Maybe Triumph Corp. has done away with the additional warranty. It was given to everyone who had the head replaced originally. My bike was the 1st one my dealership did. If you do call, ask for Mike. If you send an email, send it to Mike or Jeremy.

Ok I would like to give those of you who are interested in the extra warranty update....
I called Triumph America talked to a guy (David) and he said yes to the addition 12 months of warranty only after the work is done and only on the parts/work that was completed
So after your warranty is up and you have had the work done you get additional 12 months to the cylinder head issue /work.
Once you have had the fix and you need additional warranty work on that service bulletin you will need to call Triumph America and talk to them first.
IT IS NOT WRITTEN ANYWHERE OTHER THAN IN HOUSE AT TRIUMPH AMERICA. Dealers probably have no idea about the extra warranty until they are going back in due to a workmanship issue.
I jus want to be clear with the info I give.

I've seen where some want to wait on the cylinder head issue/ fix until there valves need servicing, good luck I do not know if waiting to getting that work done will be ok

I hope this helps...

Old 03-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
chutch
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello everyone.

So I am thinking about buying a 2013 Triumph Explorer. The vin number is 551365 which I believe is in the range of the the problem. I have talked to the guy about the problem to see if anything has been done to it already. He didn't think so (he bought it used). Anyway, I think the 2 year warranty is over. Are they only doing the work if it is still under the manufactures warranty or since it is such a known problem if they fix it even if the warranty is over? I'm sure I know the answer but just want to be sure. Anyone know what the price is to have it fixed if they aren't taking care of it?
chutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutch View Post
Hello everyone.

Anyone know what the price is to have it fixed if they aren't taking care of it?
The cylinder head kit is $1835.00 and Triumph allots 8 hours for the repair.
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote