User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Rockhopper Doe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Tiger 800 XC Seat options

I'm looking to replace rider and pillion seats for my 2013 Tiger 800 XC. I did a 400 mi day on Saturday and after 250 or 300 miles, I was not comfortable.

I'm closely looking at Sargent to replace the OEM seat but I'm having a hard time finding info that compares it to the OEM seat that comes with the Tiger. Any experiences with it?

Are there other options to consider?

I've heard good things about Seat Concepts, but I'm unsure if it will be enough comfort.

Rockhopper Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvr View Post
I'm looking to replace rider and pillion seats for my 2013 Tiger 800 XC. I did a 400 mi day on Saturday and after 250 or 300 miles, I was not comfortable.

I'm closely looking at Sargent to replace the OEM seat but I'm having a hard time finding info that compares it to the OEM seat that comes with the Tiger. Any experiences with it?

Are there other options to consider?

I've heard good things about Seat Concepts, but I'm unsure if it will be enough comfort.

I'm pretty happy with seat concepts tall
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
mcridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
I'm pretty happy with seat concepts tall
+1 on Seat Concepts
Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 362
Sargent Seat Experience

After a 3,500-mile road trip with the stock seat and a Bead Rider (which is a major improvement in itself), I ordered a Sargent and am very happy. Should have done that much earlier.

The foam is considerably firmer than stock and there is room to move forward and back so you don't get a locked into one position as with the stock seat. In addition, the Sargent seat has a bit of 'tractor seat' shape which spreads the load over a wider area. I only ride solo so I got just the rider's seat.

In the past, I bought a Sargent Seat for an early Ducati Monster, had to send it back to make it more flat, but that seat, too, was great.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Air Hawk?
I have to say that coming from a K7 V-Strom so far the Tiger seat has been great for me.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 504
I had a Rick Mayer custom leather seat on my Tiger (and previousky on my last Multi) and loved it. Did a 3800 miles, 7 day ride in Aug and the seat paid huge dividends, Last year, Rick had a Black Friday sale - hopefully again this year as I need a seat for my recently acquired PP. Rick also has had some delivery issues but does produce a quality product.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Rockhopper Doe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
I had a Rick Mayer custom leather seat on my Tiger (and previousky on my last Multi) and loved it. Did a 3800 miles, 7 day ride in Aug and the seat paid huge dividends, Last year, Rick had a Black Friday sale - hopefully again this year as I need a seat for my recently acquired PP. Rick also has had some delivery issues but does produce a quality product.
It is unfortunate. I really like his product's quality, but after reading what folks have to say about his delivery issues, I discarded this option.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
NOTAGAIN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Very happy with Sargent on my Tiger 800. Have front and rear. They were really helpful when I called as far as different covers, etc. My better half is happy with it as well which is all that really counts.

good luck!
NOTAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
MTNRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
seat concepts

Anyone have any experiences they would like to talk about in regards to a Seat Concepts seat?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Black Rhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRides View Post
Anyone have any experiences they would like to talk about in regards to a Seat Concepts seat?
While were at it , anyone used the tall/hi kit from them and want post pics and experience?
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Rockhopper Doe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRides View Post
I would also like to hear more about it. SC is about half the price of Sargent (if my memory serves me correctly). Just wondering how it compares to Sargent. If I can fix my problem at half the price, I'll be happy to.

My main concern is that SC does not appear to increase width of the seat and Sargent apparently does.

So I'm wondering if swapping out the padding without adding width would be sufficient.
Rockhopper Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvr View Post
It is unfortunate. I really like his product's quality, but after reading what folks have to say about his delivery issues, I discarded this option.
No issues with the delivery of my first seat nor with the delivery/turn-around of the free 'rebuild' Rick offers.

The last seat was delayed - significantly. Rick did upgrade the seat to leather for no cost.

With any custom seat, I would get a oem donor seat and send it to the builder - to both ensure constant use of the bike and for resale.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Love my Renazco.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 164
Running a Sargent seat with heat option and love it.
TemeculaTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,596
I've had three Sargent's on three bikes and it was the best money spent on at least two of them. The Tiger is just three weeks with me but I didn't wait - I knew the stock seat was not for me. I tend to put a lot of miles on a bike and the pain of the initial cost is soon forgotten yet every mile I ride the bike I enjoy the seat (or not). I've done lots of all day rides on Sargent seats on my ST1300 and NC700X, inc. Saddle Sores, Bun Burners and a 50CC where I did 2355 miles in 42 hours 30 minutes.

Everyone has a different need and expectation but I found the stock Tiger seat to be much too soft for me. The Sargent is flatter, wider, and slightly longer front-to-rear in the "sitting" area. I have room to move around and change up ergos a bit to help shoulders, knees, and hips. The Sargent seat nose is lowered a bit and while the part between the thighs might be slightly wider the leg reach to the ground is unchanged.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote