Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #181
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,643
I got my Girlie just about two weeks ago, and the torque and the smoothness of the triple is intoxicating. It's a 2006 with just about 3600 miles on it. My only real complaint so far is the levers seem to be about a mile away. I have new ones on the way. I also plan on some engine guards from TT. Lots of people say they're top heavy. I'm just a klutz and figure they can't hurt.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #182
Carpenter_LV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I got my Tiger at April with 10k miles on clock. Since then I have driven only 1k miles, but all-ready can tell that I am really satisfied with my bike.
I switched from Kawasaki KLE 500 (37hp) to Tiger 955i (104hp) and the power of the Tiger is an unbelievable. Great motorcycle.
I am thinking about exhaust change to Blue Flame, put an K&N air filter, mount engine guard and taller wind screen.

Carpenter_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #183
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 688
Picked up my new to me '02 on Wednesday and put about 1100 miles on it riding home. I love it!
cba191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #184
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 688
outside Yosemite, on the way home.

cba191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #185
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,359
I've had 2 sellers in 5 days pull their bikes off the market on me in the 11th hour of negotiations

Here's to hoping #3 happens tonight...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #186
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Great bike! I've put 74,000 miles on my 2006 Tiger 955 and it's still running like new!
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #187
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Photoboy - thats great to hear. I got my 06 Girlie in 10' with 3k mi on it - only up to 20K now. Trouble free...so far. But use my XC a bit more for dirt trips. Still prefer Girlie for road oriented adventures. Any 'issues' with your 06' ?
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #188
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Photoboy - thats great to hear. I got my 06 Girlie in 10' with 3k mi on it - only up to 20K now. Trouble free...so far. But use my XC a bit more for dirt trips. Still prefer Girlie for road oriented adventures. Any 'issues' with your 06' ?

I have had 2 regulator/rectifier failures, one at 30K and the other at 50K. Triumph apparently had a bad batch when the second one went south. Nothing else other than that.

I'm thinking of getting a Tiger 800 roadie. How do you like your XC? Power OK? Does it get pushed around by the wind or passing trucks on the highway? How's the stock seat?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #189
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,359
Success...finally. They don't come much more stripped or neglected than this...but at least I have one
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #190
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Bobnoxious - Hows that thing stand up with only 1 fork tube?? Is that to match the single sided swing arm ? Looks pretty darn clean tho & not neglected. Photoboy - I just checked my connector & cleaned the blades, flushed out with contact cleaner & zip tied it shut. But I think I'm 'just whistling past the graveyard' or "putting lipstick on a pig" (not sure which metaphore fits best here) but figure its just a matter of time. Did you replace with triumph parts the 2nd time - or go after market? But gotta say - if thats ALL thats gone wrong - pretty good for 74K mi! Power on xc seems a bit more linear - no 'surge' like the girlie @ around 6k RPM. But still plenty adequate. If I didnt already have girlie for my road bike & mild dirt - would have probably tilted towards the roadie. I think its adequate for 99% of my riding. Its that ocassional 1% that turned me towards xc. Frankly, either bike is more capable than me anyway - so not sure the xc is much advantage in my hands. Probably just encourages me to go where I shouldnt. Anyway - I got the low gel seat (to match my 30" inseam) so cant really comment on stock seat. I also have optional tall windscreen - works well for me & xc doesent get blown around anymore than the girlie. And...I have boxes on xc vs the more aerodynamic stock girlie cases - go figure? I do like the 800 a lot - but, if I could only have one - would be a tough choice. Thankfully... I dont have to make one.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #191
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
..... Photoboy - I just checked my connector & cleaned the blades, flushed out with contact cleaner & zip tied it shut. But I think I'm 'just whistling past the graveyard' or "putting lipstick on a pig" (not sure which metaphore fits best here) but figure its just a matter of time. Did you replace with triumph parts the 2nd time - or go after market? But gotta say - if thats ALL thats gone wrong - pretty good for 74K mi! .
jphish,

I went with Triumph parts though Rick's Electric is a good source for aftermarket. Early on I replaced the stock tune with the off road tune while keeping the stock pipe so there's no surging at 6,000 rpm or anywhere else. Before I did that there was a slight surge below 3,000 rpm.

I go through rear brake pads about every 6-7000 miles. Front pads go for more than twice as far. Right now I'm trying to decide between buying a new Tiger 800 or an aftermarket shock and keeping the Girlie longer. I run 15 weight oil in the forks to stiffen them up a bit.

I've been through one set of brake rotors at around 60,000 miles, not warped just worn below the minimum thickness. I just installed my third set of sprockets and chain though rear sprocket looked OK.

I also replaced the stock seat with a Russell Daylong back at 30,000 miles and installed a Palmer adjustable medium windshield at the same time. I replaced the stock mirrors with CRG barend mirrors to clean up the view to the front and to the rear.

Other than that just tires and oil.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #192
jphish
Studly Adventurer

PS: While both are a bit 'top heavy' - not sure what actual weight diff is on Girlie vs XC. But while Girlie looks considerably larger (could be that camel like tank) It doesnt FEEL all that much heavier. It does take 10 more pounds of fuel tho... In corners with Anakee2s - the Girlie feels MUCH more solid / planted than the xc with TKCs. Thats why I use it more for road trips - much more confidence inspiring in the twisties. Just my 2 c
Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #193
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Hmmm - I have Palmer screen too. (medium - light tint) Had one on my Uly & transformed the beast - Great on Girlie too! My 6K 'surge' is not a bad thing - happened after I put on TOR can & remapped - its like a little mini turbo kicks in - hauls ass. Ricks electric - thanks - good to know. They Brit co? Its who our "across the pond" cousins seem to use. I dont think you'd be dissappointed in 800 after Girlie - but would have to transition to ABS & LED gauges you can actually see in the dark. The 2 tiggers have more similarities than differences. But also, for just road riding - not sure you gain all that much. But with 75K mi - you're getting very close to 'new bike' territory. I had a guy offer me $6,500 for my Girlie last year - had no trouble saying 'NO'. But with only 20K mi - its best years are still ahead. I hope...
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #194
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Yeah, the Palmer screen is great!

I'd be glad to get ABS brakes with the Tiger 800, had them for years on various BMWs and I'm a firm believer in their value.

Here's a link to Rick's Motorsports Electrics http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ for new stators, regulators etc. Hopefully you won't need it.

Best wishes for many happy miles on your Girlie. At only 20K now, you're just at the beginning of a great ride!

Photo Boy screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 07:26 PM
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #195
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the link - nice to have - "just in case". Do you commute on yours ? And did you buy it new ? One guy in Seattle has 105K on his girlie - still runs well & well cared for. But he got it new in 2001. I sold my Uly, St1300 & KLR last year - decluttering phase of life. Now down to 2 tiggers - so expect the miles to start piling up on them both. No regrets - even tho the Uly WAS a very fun road beast. Retired now - so no commute miles for me - just camping / fishing / fun miles. YAHOO! If you do test ride the 800 - be curious about your impressions. TTFN, j