Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #256
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Here is a thought I had. I am working on trying to buy an 03 with wire wheels. Yes I know its heavy, but still lighter than my 06. Sending the wheels off to Woody's for a 21" front and maybe a 18" rear or just true and superlace the stock rear.

Then sending the forks to Race Tech and buying their shock.

I think this could make a pretty nice trail bike with tons of power.

Living in Alaska sucks trying to buy stuff from down there.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #257
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
I would not try to turn a tiger into a trail bike for one reason. Just too heavy.

It is however a great forest service road bike. I thought about the 21" front for a long time. Decided it would not be a huge improvement for the big cost.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #258
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I got it

I got it yesterday. Looking at the tires, it only has 7309 miles, and the tires are original, I'm thinking even though the tread looks good, they are probably beyond their useful service life as far as age is concerned. I'd like to get shinko 705's, I just don't know if I should get the front bias ply or radial. It looks like the radial is only available for the rear, but the front has two options. Does the Tiger need a radial, or handle better with one? The bias is about $30-$40 less. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hatley Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #259
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

I would go with the radials. I had them on my Tiger and they were really good especially for the money. I'm now running TKC 80s, but will probably switch to a more 70/30 tire if I get the 03 Girlie I'm after right now. That will get a 21" front and straight knobbies.

Good luck, these are wonderful under rated motorcycles.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #260
Carpenter_LV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
How about engine oil? Which brand you use? Last season I used a Motul 5100 10w-40, now in spring I will change the oil again. I am just thinking what would be the best to use. Use the same Motul 5100 10w-40 or.....Suggestions or your experience?

About suspension, all you must do is to change fork oil to different viscosity. I just did the oil change to my fork and I used a BOmotoroil 5w oil.
Carpenter_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #261
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

I am working on getting an 03 right now. The only holdup might be with the bank. Once that is good, working out the logistics to get it to Alaska from NW Conus. Anyon interested in a hotrodded 01 XR650L? The wife may not be happy with a 5th bike in the garage. Not nessecarily the 5th bike, but the you can no longer park your car in the garage since one of those bikes is hers.

Will post up when I get it. Going with soft bags on this one. The weight of TT Zegas is pretty noticeable.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #262
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
I got it yesterday. Looking at the tires, it only has 7309 miles, and the tires are original, I'm thinking even though the tread looks good, they are probably beyond their useful service life as far as age is concerned. I'd like to get shinko 705's, I just don't know if I should get the front bias ply or radial. It looks like the radial is only available for the rear, but the front has two options. Does the Tiger need a radial, or handle better with one? The bias is about $30-$40 less. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just installed a set of Full Bore M-40 tires on mine...same pattern and better speed rating as Shinko.

I would highly reccomend the radial.

Congrats
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #263
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
All of your tire, oil, fork oil, exhaust, map questions and more archived over the past umpteen years. . . tigertriple.com

All as subjective as what bike to own. My .02 Tires-Anakee II's. Oil-15-40 Rotella Synthetic. IMHO if you own one of these bikes you MUST get the TOR (triumph off road) map in the ECM. It will make your tigger growl. Even if you dont get the TOR pipe this map can be run.

You all are headed in the right direction. Tiger 955 the most under-appreciated ADV bike. All for pennies on the dollar.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #264
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

full bore

Bob,

Where did you get your full bores from? I saw some pictures of them on a tiger, your right they are just like the shinko. I have spoke wheels with tubes, I can mount tubeless tires on tube type rims, as long as I run the tubes, correct? I guess they are probably going to be a pain to mount, but I need the practice anyway. The best price I found for full bore m-40's are on chapparal racings website, they are exacly $1.00 per set cheaper than the shinko 705. Go figure. Any better prices elsewhere? I think I'll get fullbore radials so long as there is no tiger related issues.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #265
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Bob,

Where did you get your full bores from? I saw some pictures of them on a tiger, your right they are just like the shinko. I have spoke wheels with tubes, I can mount tubeless tires on tube type rims, as long as I run the tubes, correct? I guess they are probably going to be a pain to mount, but I need the practice anyway. The best price I found for full bore m-40's are on chapparal racings website, they are exacly $1.00 per set cheaper than the shinko 705. Go figure. Any better prices elsewhere? I think I'll get fullbore radials so long as there is no tiger related issues.

Thanks
As seen on the sidewall of the Anakee 2's that came on it originally...

Chaparral is where I found (and purchased) the best price and availability.

They were no harder or easier than any other tire I've spooned on
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #266
birddogone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hatley, That is one fine look'n machine, congratulations!! The roulette green is the reason I originally noticed the 955 Triumph Tiger.

Rod in VA.

Quote:

Thanks

birddogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #267
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:

Thanks
I'd go with the radials, Shinko started making them in ADV sizes after big heavy ADV bikes like GS's had chunking problems with standard 705's...from what I've gathered the bias ply 705's do better on smaller, lighter, less powerful bikes

victor441 screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:58 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #268
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter_LV View Post
How about engine oil? Which brand you use? Last season I used a Motul 5100 10w-40, now in spring I will change the oil again. I am just thinking what would be the best to use. Use the same Motul 5100 10w-40 or.....Suggestions or your experience?

About suspension, all you must do is to change fork oil to different viscosity. I just did the oil change to my fork and I used a BOmotoroil 5w oil.
I've been a Motul guy for a long time. Always been my go-to oil. That said, I used their full synthetic in mine last change and have to admit shifting was smoother with Mobil 1 4T.

Oh, and 705s are available in radials for front too, just spooned on a new set.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #269
Danno88
Eyeless Tiger

Oddometer: 51
Tires

I've run Tourances to TKC's on my 04 955i. Both good tires but the Tourance is to street and the TKC's are too dirt(great tire, just wear quickly). I am currently running Hiedenau Scout K 60's and am happy so far. They have handled everything from pavement to mud to wet rock and everything else Colorado can throw at it and I've gotten through it all.

Danno88
Danno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #270
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Full bores

I got an email from Chapparal Motorsports indicating that my fullbore radials had been shipped! I've got the tiger in the basement now(no mean feat) and its awaiting its new shoes. Now I need to come up with a way to keep the tiger upright while removing the wheels. I think I need that centerstand, sooner than later. And the lowering pegs. And taller bars. And.... And..... And.....

Tyler