Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #286
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
not only that but a different rake and trail geometry also . more dirt road or trail friendly
IIRC the 03's still had plastic FUEL connectors
'03's are by far the fastest and coolest too

Mine has well over 60,000 kms on it and going strong. Fuel fittings are easily replaced and quite inexpensive. Great bike that does everything.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #287
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Mustang,
I'll be down next summer for a set of those new oversized pegs
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #288
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Hey Mustang,
I'll be down next summer for a set of those new oversized pegs
let me know ahead of time so I have some material on hand and you can make em yourself
and you can sleep in the trees again
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #289
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,637
Quote:
not only that but a different rake and trail geometry also . more dirt road or trail friendly
IIRC the 03's still had plastic FUEL connectors
So, can I assume that if the bike came with wire spoke wheels, it also has the more offroad friendly rake and trail? I thought I had narrowed my search for 2002-2004 bikes. (can't find my notes from all the reading I've done) Skipping '01 because of valve issues.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #290
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Skipping '01 because of valve issues.

01's didn't have valve issues
they are no different than any 955i tiger
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #291
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:

01's didn't have valve issues
they are no different than any 955i tiger
That's good news. What years girlies have the better rake/trail virtues? (for off road work)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #292
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Hey Rusty what are you doing replacing your DR 650 with the 955?

Asking as I have a nice 08 DR650, But I want a little more umph and 2up comfort on highway. Wife wont let me have both. I love my DR. I am hoping i can take this 955 pretty much anywhere I can take the DR.

Just wondering

boulder
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #293
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Hey Rusty what are you doing replacing your DR 650 with the 955?

Asking as I have a nice 08 DR650, But I want a little more umph and 2up comfort on highway. Wife wont let me have both. I love my DR. I am hoping i can take this 955 pretty much anywhere I can take the DR.

Just wondering

boulder
Been playing with the idea of selling my 2 vintage bikes and getting something I will ride once in a while. I will keep the KTM & DR650 if I can get away with it with my wife and finances allowing. She doesn't seem to mid how many bikes I have (had 5 before letting the 2T KTM go) as long as I don't go wild with the money. Been thinking about a WeeStrom or a Girlie as an Adventure bike. Would like the Triumph more and am leaning that way. But if a real deal pops either way, I will likely make a move. Just trying to be sure I get the right girl. I will be using it on dirt as much as possible. That's why I would like the wire spoke wheels. If I do get an adventure bike and really love it and find the DR sitting too much, who knows.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #294
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

955i

I see.

Well I can only have one, so I am looking for the best all rounder for touring, off road two up that wont cost me constant currency loss.
KTM 990A is out. I ride with 4 riders with this bike and they are constantly repairing and upgrading. I don't need a formula 1 vehicle. Just a good Audi or Mercedes will do. Bad ass bike but i don't need to be going 100 through the desert or single track. Be nice if i wanted to outrun a nuclear bomb through the Mojave desert but that's about it.
BMW out.
etc..

Triumph bang for buck looks ridiculously pleasant.

What do you think of paying $4,900.00 for a 2002 but it needs to be shipped to me? Another $500 at least.
So total for a pristine 955 bike that has been kept in a heated Garage no ethanol ever ran through it motorcycle with 3,856 miles on her with the total being about $5,400.00 out of my pocket.
I forgot to mention it has a taller screen, triumph panniers, Triumph gel seat and throttle lock.
Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 12:15 PM Reason: English is my first language-go figure
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #295
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
let me know ahead of time so I have some material on hand and you can make em yourself
and you can sleep in the trees again
Some of the finest trees in NH, and a free 4 legged alarm clock
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #296
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
I see.

Well I can only have one, so I am looking for the best all rounder for touring, off road two up that wont cost me constant currency loss.
KTM 990A is out. I ride with 4 riders with this bike and they are constantly repairing and upgrading. I don't need a formula 1 vehicle. Just a good Audi or Mercedes will do. Bad ass bike but i don't need to be going 100 through the desert or single track. Be nice if i wanted to outrun a nuclear bomb through the Mojave desert but that's about it.
BMW out.
etc..

Triumph bang for buck looks ridiculously pleasant.

What do you think of paying $4,900.00 for a 2002 but it needs to be shipped to me? Another $500 at least.
So total for a pristine 955 bike that has been kept in a heated Garage no ethanol ever ran through it motorcycle with 3,856 miles on her with the total being about $5,400.00 out of my pocket.
I forgot to mention it has a taller screen, triumph panniers, Triumph gel seat and throttle lock.
Boulder

If the bike really is "as advertised" thats a lot of bike for the $. I used to own 4 bikes, Suzuki Marauder, BMW Funduro 650, Triumph Speed Triple, and Suzuki Katana, bought my '05 Tiger, and rapidly realized I didn't NEED any of the other bikes, the Tiger did EVERYTHING those bikes each did, and in many cases way better. Needless to say when economics/divorce/relocation facilitated I become a 1 bike owner, deciding was very easy, the only 1 still in the garage (and will have to be pried from my cold dead hand) is my Tiger.
Get the Tiger, you won't regret it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #297
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Ethanol

Hey I just found out these bikes don't do well with gas with added ethanol. There are very few to none gas places in Utah that have non ethanol gas anymore. I would have to drive 40 miles away from home to get to one who might or might now sale it.

Should I be worried and not purchase this bike? I am sure that is why the gas tank paint bubbles.

The main thing is does the ethanol damage the tigers engine? I heard a gentlemen complain that there are no non ethanol stations here and he has 3 triumphs he does not ride anymore due to this.

Anyone hear or have problems using gas with Ethanol. Utah has a up to 10% ethanol added at the service stations pumps.

ugghhh.

boulder
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #298
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
I've run my girlie around MO, AK, and parts of Canada. Never had a problem except for when I put Diesel in by accident. Ethanol if run out as its put in poses little risk. when left in the tank untreated for long periods of time is when it turns to crap. Its hard mainly on non metal parts of the fuel system.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #299
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey I just found out these bikes don't do well with gas with added ethanol.
myth and bullshit
Quote:
There are very few to none gas places in Utah that have non ethanol gas anymore. I would have to drive 40 miles away from home to get to one who might or might now sale it.
all 50 states sell it now you don't have a choice

Quote:
Should I be worried and not purchase this bike? I am sure that is why the gas tank paint bubbles.
Has nothing to do with the bubbling paint ......it is the plastic tank

Quote:
The main thing is does the ethanol damage the tigers engine? I heard a gentlemen complain that there are no non ethanol stations here and he has 3 triumphs he does not ride anymore due to this.

Anyone hear or have problems using gas with Ethanol. Utah has a up to 10% ethanol added at the service stations pumps.

ugghhh.

boulder
repeat after me .does not harm the engine ........
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #300
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Ethanol Gas VS Triumph

Sorry I was a little drama out about it. I was getting the shipping and funds all set up for a purchase and I read about that last night and it threw a big wrench in my . I should of researched more into it before I asked the collective.

Thanks for putting me back down on solid ground.

Sweet I am soo excited again.

boulder