Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #361
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I have a question for anyone willing to ease my woes...

I fine group of poeple have set up a yearly awsoom ride called the RMAR in Colorado. It is a ride I have been dreaming of for a while to go on with my DR650. They have a 600-650 class ride and a larger bike rides.
The large thumper rides is the CAM 1000. Just an incredible looking ride with great people. http://www.rmariders.org/cam1000.html

Since i am selling my DR 650 to get a 2002 Triumph Tiger I cant go on the CAM ride this year. Really bummed, having second thoughts selling DR 650 at times due to this ride alone.

Anyhow the San Juan ride sounds to be for the bigger bikes, I am guessing KTM 990's, GS's etc ranging form 800's to 1200's.
http://www.rmariders.org/san-juan-500.html.

So I said i was interested in this ride then. Perfect for the Triumph right.
Keep in mind that the great people who organize these rides and put them together also want to make sure you don't have a miserable time or get hurt or destroy your bike if it is not the right type of bike. And they dont have time to baby you if your are struggling on your bike.

So they are not being jerks expressing this below.

I told them what type of bike i Had and he replied with this.

"It's up to you, if you think you can manage the Colorado Alpine Loop passes, and likely some even more difficult tracks, then feel free to sign up. Understand you'll likely have one of the least capable bikes, and all donations to RMAR are non-refundable."

I feel he is being totally honest comparing to a KTM 990, as it is basically a 500# dirt bike. Triumph weighs pretty much the same.

My questions to anyone who wants to or knows these type of riding trails and knows the Triumph capabilities can you tell me if the triumph will be fine. Wont be destroyed and can make this ride?

I understand I cant jump it off a 5 foot drop or hit whoop to doos at 40 mph.
I feel this is a way better bike then the 1150 gs adventures. If one of those are going then I am in.

Riding exp:
Been riding motorcycles both on road and off since age 14.
Recent Dual sport bikes: 2002 KTM 640 Adventure
2008 DR650 Adventurized
Oh and I am 6' 270# and can handle heavy bikes quite well. Not a pro but can keep up with KTM 525 riders in tight trails on my DR 650. Ok yea I am in the back of the pack but they don't get more then 50 yards ahead of me during whole ride.

thanks
Boulder
go to their site and click on "Past events" and look at the pictures. Gives you a pretty good idea. Being on "one of the least capable bikes", you better be one of the most capable riders.

If you can put off selling you DR, do it on that bike then sell if you want. I saw pictures of a DR650 being hauled up the side of a hill by ropes in the 2012 RAMR 1000. I would totally do that ride if I didn't have to haul a tent & sleeping bag with me.

Pretty sure I saw a "girlie" in the pics from last year. Doesn't look like a good choice for that event.

BTW: you've been riding since you were 14, but that's meaningless if you are 16. I've been riding since 1970.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #362
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
If so, I am curious if your forks on your upper clamp stick out about 1 3/4 inch from the base.
I see 2005 and 2006 models flushed and don't protrude above the upper clamps.
Sounds lowered. Here is a pic of my old 2003 (2003 should be the exact same bike as a 2002). I don't have it any more, but from that picture, you can see the right fork tube is pretty flush:

Also, take a look at your chain tension adjusters. If the axle goes through the lower part of the adjuster, the rear is at stock height. If they are flipped and the axle is through the upper part, the rear has been lowered. No good reason to lower the front and not the back.

Geof
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #363
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
go to their site and click on "Past events" and look at the pictures. Gives you a pretty good idea. Being on "one of the least capable bikes", you better be one of the most capable riders.

If you can put off selling you DR, do it on that bike then sell if you want. I saw pictures of a DR650 being hauled up the side of a hill by ropes in the 2012 RAMR 1000. I would totally do that ride if I didn't have to haul a tent & sleeping bag with me.

Pretty sure I saw a "girlie" in the pics from last year. Doesn't look like a good choice for that event.

BTW: you've been riding since you were 14, but that's meaningless if you are 16. I've been riding since 1970.
Saw this pic in RMAR 2012:

Geof
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #364
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 429
Quote:

He he right...I am 45 now. you got me.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #365
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post

Geof
Oh that is soo funny!! That is on their main site. You cant see it as the add is on top of that pic. But they use that pic as the main one when you go on the site.

That is really funny abruzzi!!

My bike will be fine on it then. Thanks.

boulder
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #366
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Laugh

Quote:

Good Piont

I think your looking at the RAMR 1000 that one is just for the thumpers, I believe there is a larger cc one which is the San Juan or something like that.

I should of said I have been riding since 2011 to really get you laughing at me.. You got me.
You also have me beat in riding experience. I started 11 years later then you. You win!! Good one.

Thanks for your two cents. I agree I would not take it on the RAMR 1000 and I don't think they would let me anyway if I tried.

But the other one they said you can take a pillion if you want I assume they are bigger bikes. And I talked to one of the gents and he is taking his 990. So its for bigger bikes and a Tiger was there from another year. So heck man. I think I am going to do it...

Boulder

Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:54 PM Reason: slurred speech and tiredness.
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #367
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Sounds lowered. Here is a pic of my old 2003 (2003 should be the exact same bike as a 2002). I don't have it any more, but from that picture, you can see the right fork tube is pretty flush:
Ok this is weird. On the Bike I am looking at they are not flush.

Also, take a look at your chain tension adjusters. If the axle goes through the lower part of the adjuster, the rear is at stock height. If they are flipped and the axle is through the upper part, the rear has been lowered. No good reason to lower the front and not the back.
Its in the lower hole and has not been rotated around to be at the top..So what gives? PO says it came that way from the factory.
Geof

Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 11:04 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #368
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Buy a 06 Tiger or not ?

Sold my 04 GSA 18 mo ago before the fn ex got it in the divorce. Now I need to ride but for less $ found a black 06 Tiger 955 with 77,000mi. 1 owner and all service records at local Triumph shop. It runs great feels lighter than the GSA and quicker. Has some after market stuff already. price $4,900... anyone with a high mileage 955 with advice.
http://youtu.be/JLEI6h3gg4U
http://youtu.be/82i4POK_gL8

Dirty Bling screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:36 AM
Dirty Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #369
ua99003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I have an 06 with 24k on the clock still going strong. Look around you may find one with less miles for same or cheaper price. Great bikes !!!
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #370
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:

But the other one they said you can take a pillion if you want I assume they are bigger bikes.

Boulder
I saw that and it went in one eye and out the other. Never struck me as a clue to the course condition. In that case, you will be fine. Tire selection and raising the bike back up will be your next job. I know it's 5 months away, but pictures will be mandatory.

Quote:

Geof
that's the pic I saw. Looks like the windshield is missing.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #371
birddogone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Pm

PM sent
birddogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #372
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
my 06 has 36k and is running great.... i wouldn't pay more than $2000-2500 for a tiger with 77k miles.... keep looking

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #373
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Also think that bike is grossly overpriced, I recently bought an very clean 06 w/ 23K for $4700 and that seems to be the going rate...most of the Tiger 955's I see listed have 20-40K miles on them and are priced from $4-5K

victor441 screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 09:14 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #374
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Boulder, if you haven't already done so. I would recommend a good engine protection bar, skid plate, and possibly some suspension work. While I am out of town next year, going to have racetech upgrades to the forks and rear shock installed. After that my 06 should finally be done.

Then on to the planned addition of a 800XC upgrading.

Good luck on the ride!! And yes lots of pics especially for those of us that can't ride for a year. Unless of course I can talk my Provost Marshal into a motorcycle patrol.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #375
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
What does an ex want with a GS

And how does she get it. Ok never mind.

Tiger good well past 100k, that one should be half that price
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote