User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #46
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon kawasaki
Thanks for the reply. Wife comfort is critical. As far as luggage, I would plan to get a Happy Trail rack to mount the panniers from my KLR. Also have 'stich tank panniers and large tank and tail bag, should be good to go! Love the used prices on these bikes....what is considered "hi mileage" on one of these pups?

Travis
Glad to help. I'm new to Tigers having sold my 100GS to get this one. Wife said it was like going from a shack to a mansion.

Sounds like a good plan on panniers. Wolfman makes a nice waterproof tank pannier set up. The tank design is a little screwy and I had fits getting my Cortech tank bag to fit. It was a bit of engineering, but worth is as I was spoiled by the size. I have a stock Triumph tank bag for it. It's a nice rig.

I put a Loobman oiler on it. Bar end mirrors reduced the buffeting.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #47
Juggernot
Land Locked Sailor

Oddometer: 262
Yea! Tiger lovers!

I LOVE MY TIGER! I have an 06 955i with about 17000 miles on it and love this machine. I can't ride it without smiling and fielding about a thousand questions about her. So far I haven't tried anything offroad, but I can't imagine a more fun bike to ride. I went out today with a guy on a Buell S3T and he couldn't get over how fast Moneypenny was. Before I bought my her I tested a VStrom 1000 and a Ully and me and my wife both preferred the Tiger. Neither of us liked the Ully for a lot of reasons. I loved the power of the VStrom but it wasn't nearly as smooth as the tiger or as comfortable. Keep riding guys. I'll be out there grinning!
"Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. "
Juggernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #48
TRKTEK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Thumb 955i Tiger

I wonder what the OP got? the thread started in '01...

Of course I would have (and still would) vote for the Tiger...

John Kenneth Galbraith

Don't worry my friend, raising your awareness of the world has no negative consequences.

Strikingviking

Survive and thrive. Live well, live in joy. God meant for his children to sing and dance every day!

Sabre
TRKTEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #49
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRKTEK
I wonder what the OP got? the thread started in '01...

Of course I would have (and still would) vote for the Tiger...
x2

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #50
Cambambalam
XR six-fiddy ahrrrr

Oddometer: 195
Thumb Bump for the mighty 955 Tiger

From Tas 07/08

'The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes' - Winston Churchhill
Cambambalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #51
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
if the market for used bike sales weren't so dismal, I'd sell my Weestrom and 02 DR and buy a gently used 955i. but the market is DEAD... comatose at the least
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
if the market for used bike sales weren't so dismal, I'd sell my Weestrom and 02 DR and buy a gently used 955i. but the market is DEAD... comatose at the least
Actually the market isn't dead.........bikes values are way down from years past but you can still sell a bike if it is reasonably priced.........I have sold three bikes this year for what I considered a fair price. Conversely, I have purchased two bikes for fair prices. I sold a 1976 Suzuki GT550, a 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, and a '07 BMW GSA---------they are happy = I'm happy.

But the main reason I am on this thread............I bought a used 2006 Triumph Tiger last week and except for the windshield noise/turbulence issue, I like it a lot.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #53
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr zook
How are the high milage Tigers holding up? Any big issues?
61000 on my '02 and all it's needed has been a radiator cap at 58K and a new speedo drive at 59K (probably me not fitting it right when swapping tyres). That's it. I know of a couple of others at a similar mileage with no serious problems. Still puts a smile on my face when I ride her.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #54
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Update

Rode mine from Arkansas to Vermont and back. The gel seats sucked. Ended up buying an Airhawk in northern Vermont. Ahhhhh.

Hauled a 40L ruck of fishing gear, no problem. Do NOT use ATF in the Loobman. It redefines messy.
I love this bike. Woohoo!

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #55
M@gneto
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Off-road

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from 2000 to 2006, this bike was still an Adventure touring bike. In 2007, they went to the 1050 and made it a street bike, right? I love the look of the 955i Tiger. How does it do off-road? Can anyone campare it with an R1200GS or KTM 990?
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #56
grimbolius
Mass Debater

Oddometer: 208
high mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
61000 on my '02 and all it's needed has been a radiator cap at 58K and a new speedo drive at 59K (probably me not fitting it right when swapping tyres). That's it. I know of a couple of others at a similar mileage with no serious problems. Still puts a smile on my face when I ride her.
Sold mine to a mate with a 145,000kms, no engine work as yet, starting to use a bit of oil but nothing major. Went everywhere the ktm 990 went, just not as quick.........heavy to pick up too. Make sure you have engine guards and knobbys on the front at least if your heading offroad. Motor is awesome, shits over everything else, flogs the KTMs & BMW,s on road as good as a standard GS offroad too.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #57
M@gneto
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbolius
Sold mine to a mate with a 145,000kms, no engine work as yet, starting to use a bit of oil but nothing major. Went everywhere the ktm 990 went, just not as quick.........heavy to pick up too. Make sure you have engine guards and knobbys on the front at least if your heading offroad. Motor is awesome, shits over everything else, flogs the KTMs & BMW,s on road as good as a standard GS offroad too.
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks. I see you can pick up one of the 955is for around $5,000 or a little under now. I always loved the blue '06. I think I might have to do some serious looking now. I have a GS, but I'm nervous about all the mechanical problems, ie final drive. At least with a chain, you know it's coming. If a Tiger is as good off-road as a GS and better on the road, it seems like the perfect bike for me. Why did Triumph ever turn it into a street bike in the first place? It seems like they would have missed out on a lot of sales from the adventure touring market.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #58
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto
Why did Triumph ever turn it into a street bike in the first place? It seems like they would have missed out on a lot of sales from the adventure touring market.
That question is still waiting to be answered. Bought my 06 in December of 2006. I had no interest in the 2007 model.

Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #59
atomic frog
pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer: 294
Just returned from a trip from Wisconsin to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Aspen, Badlands and Custer Nat't forest.
This was the third trip west in 2 years on my 2006 Tiger. 2 of the 3 times two up and averaged about 4,000/trip. The more I ride the Tiger (28,000 miles), the more I love it. It is truly a "do everything" bike. We've been to Utah, Glacier/Yellowstone and everyplace in between, camped almost every night loaded with stuff! This is simply the best bike I have owned in my 35 years of riding!!
atomic frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #60
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Tigers Rule