Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
mailman1175 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
wee beastie electric w/ kick start backup?

Now this is going to sound like an odd question...kind of coming at things from the other direction than most seem to, but what are some small displacement (200-250cc) dual-sport bikes with the magic button AND kick start? I noticed in an old thread that someone mentioned having a factory kick-start kit for an XT225. Is that typical of e-start bikes? OTOH, is there an economical e-start kit for most kick-start bikes?

I'm thinking we want some way of getting the little scoot started if, for some reason, we have electrical problems... basically I want both options: One for convenience, the other for reliability.

Any input, gang?

----------

edited to add... Ahh, I see that Kawasaki shows an optional kick start for their new KLX250S... So I'm going to assume that's a regular deal. Ignore the retard if you like. *shrug*
Old 10-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman1175
Now this is going to sound like an odd question...kind of coming at things from the other direction than most seem to, but what are some small displacement (200-250cc) dual-sport bikes with the magic button AND kick start? I noticed in an old thread that someone mentioned having a factory kick-start kit for an XT225. Is that typical of e-start bikes? OTOH, is there an economical e-start kit for most kick-start bikes?

I'm thinking we want some way of getting the little scoot started if, for some reason, we have electrical problems... basically I want both options: One for convenience, the other for reliability.

Any input, gang?

----------

edited to add... Ahh, I see that Kawasaki shows an optional kick start for their new KLX250S... So I'm going to assume that's a regular deal. Ignore the retard if you like. *shrug*
well these little bikes push start so easy it is not really needed now the klr650 or the drz or the you get the idea the ones that are hard to push. the other thing is the ones with cvts.

I guess I did not help much.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,506
The Ruckus has a kick start and a push (button) start. Since it's CVT, not gear driven, you can't run and jump start it.

I've wished for a kick start on my GS more than once . I've never had luck run and jump starting it -- seems it always just needs a jump

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
mlaotn
Slow Rider

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc
The Ruckus has a kick start and a push (button) start. Since it's CVT, not gear driven, you can't run and jump start it.

I've wished for a kick start on my GS more than once . I've never had luck run and jump starting it -- seems it always just needs a jump

kfs
The kick start on the scooter is essential. Mine get's ridden infrequently and is hard to start after it has set for a while. The kick start seems to be better than the electric in that condition.
I have jump started the GS a couple of times. I didn't get it the first time down the driveway and it was tough pushing it back up to try again(successful). On flat ground I got somebody to push me and it worked. There is no way to run alongside and then jump on. I am not sure that as top heavy as the GS is with a full tank that I would want to try kick-starting it.
mlaotn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
mailman1175 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the info... I didn't know that about the Ruckus. I'm not really looking at step-through scooters, per se, though. Mostly bikes like the TW200, XT225, etc. I just didn't know whether this thread belonged in Thumpers or Scooters. Since I'd seen some TW200 topics in the Adventure Scooters! section, I opted for here.

I'm with you guys on one thing, though: I'd hate to have to push start a GS (Great Sow?)... That's when you pray to the gods for a decent downslope....
Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
My KTM 250 RFS has both electric and kick. I usually kick start it. It's not a "dual sport" bike in that I wouldn't want to ride it very far on the road. My Ruckus as a kick start too, never used it.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote