User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
KTMRyder OP
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,813
Zuma speedometer accuracy

OK, for grins this afternoon I mounted up the gps on the Zuma.
I figured velcro could handle it and I was curious how accurate the speedo was.

First of all I was surprised the speedo was almost perfect with the gps speed.
top speed on flat ground was 40-41 mph.

I climbed the big huge hill near my house and made a top speed run.
53 mph and the little motor spinning for all its worth!

I may have to go back and try for the elusive double nickel.

toatally stock 05 Zuma
Old 11-11-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I'll try a flat ground top speed run this weekend using the speedometer and post the results. I have a 05 Zuma with some pretty standard "Stage 1" mods. I'll be interested to get some idea of the performance gains I've realized.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
KTMRyder OP
throttle jockey

I have been meaning to mount up the gps and try it and when you mentioned somwhere you didn't have one I thought I would try it.
I was suprised the speed was as accurate as it was.

I am definitely interested in your thoughts good or bad on your mods.
I have looked over at provo scooter and it is hard to tell what is bs and what isn't.

my plan was to basically do a stage 1 like you and do a big bore kit later when the motor gets tired.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
"elusive double nickel"

I'd like to see the indicated speed versus that on a gps (which I don't have) on my Super 9. It shows the speedometer pegged at 50 and still seems to go faster. I doubt it is that fast, but I guess it could be.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
"elusive double nickel"

I'd like to see the indicated speed versus that on a gps (which I don't have) on my Super 9. It shows the speedometer pegged at 50 and still seems to go faster. I doubt it is that fast, but I guess it could be.
I don't mean to hijack, but...

Ny 05 Super9 runs well past redline and seems to want to do more than 50. You got any idea if the redline on the tach is "real" or "suggested"? When we derestricted we did the bushing and green-wire CDI mod. Otherwise it's stock with about 1200 km on it.

/hijack

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I don't mean to hijack, but...

Ny 05 Super9 runs well past redline and seems to want to do more than 50. You got any idea if the redline on the tach is "real" or "suggested"? When we derestricted we did the bushing and green-wire CDI mod. Otherwise it's stock with about 1200 km on it.

/hijack
Mine has the same mods plus a Technigas Next R pipe on it. I'm not sure about the redline, but I run it in the red a lot. The scooter came that way from the previous owner so I don't know how much faster it is than a stock one without the pipe. I need to get some rollers to play with because off the line speed is dissapointing.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I'm thinking of getting a Zuma tomorrow. I've got a broken leg & have not been on two wheels for 6 weeks with 10 more to go. I thought the Zuma would be a good suburban scoot. The 05s are black with flames or Yam blue right? I can not find photos of 06 version, I would hold out for Yellow with "50th Hurricane" stripes if that is an option for 06. Anybody know 06 colors?
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
R.Markus
Damage Addict

As far as I can tell there isn't a 2006 Zuma. The '05 are blue or black with flames. I've seen a lot of both on dealer floors.

Is it possible they aren't they aren't being released for 2006 due to the fact that they are 2 stroke?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
Mine has the same mods plus a Technigas Next R pipe on it. I'm not sure about the redline, but I run it in the red a lot. The scooter came that way from the previous owner so I don't know how much faster it is than a stock one without the pipe. I need to get some rollers to play with because off the line speed is dissapointing.
Sounds like it--stock it will give a nice satisfying neck-snap off the line. Hooks up immediately with a solid yank, enough so that a few sales people nearly got spit off the back of ours when they were trying it out. Hefting the front wheel is easy.

I'd love to extend the top end a bit so I've got an easy 45-50mph cruise and retain the off-the-line pull. I wonder if that's do-able.

PS - you like the sound of the Next R?

PPS - the 06's ain't coming because compliance would probably be too much of a PITA due to the impending EPA crackdown.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
R.Markus
Damage Addict

The Next R sounds pretty good. It isn't real loud, which is nice. Eventually when I go to a 70cc kit I'll sell the pipe and get the one made for the 70cc hop up. Dual sport kit for the WR426 is first, though.

That's what I figured about the 2006 Zumas.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
KTMRyder OP
throttle jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I'm thinking of getting a Zuma tomorrow. I've got a broken leg & have not been on two wheels for 6 weeks with 10 more to go. I thought the Zuma would be a good suburban scoot. The 05s are black with flames or Yam blue right? I can not find photos of 06 version, I would hold out for Yellow with "50th Hurricane" stripes if that is an option for 06. Anybody know 06 colors?

No 06 Zumas according to my dealer, probably no more two strokes.
maybe they will come back in 07 with a four stroke.
I bought it over the Ruckus because mods were easier and cheaper.

05's come in black with flames, pretty lame sticker flames at that, a dark grey and Yamaha blue. I got blue because of course its faster.
my dealer had about 20 left when I bought mine and they were going at a pretty good clip.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Went to my local dealer today. Only 1 black & two gray left. Have my heart set on Yamaha blue, but I told him I would take the gray if the price were right. MSRP $1,849 he offered it at $1,750 + $100 doc fee. No thanks. I know they have just a little margin, but come on!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
I have been meaning to mount up the gps and try it and when you mentioned somwhere you didn't have one I thought I would try it.
I was suprised the speed was as accurate as it was.

I am definitely interested in your thoughts good or bad on your mods.
I have looked over at provo scooter and it is hard to tell what is bs and what isn't.

my plan was to basically do a stage 1 like you and do a big bore kit later when the motor gets tired.
I took a test ride early Saturday morning and after warming the scoot up I got ~41mph on level ground. I thought it would go a little faster but it seems to run out of gearing and revs at that point. I suppose you could opt for the CDI box upgrade which raised the rev range or over-range transmission kit to up the speed. While the top-end was a little disappointing the scoot went from a standing start to 37 mph up the steepest hill in my neighborhood. It seems much stronger through it's limited range.

Am I satisfied? Yes. I thought the scoot wasn't pulling to its highest gear ratio but apparently it was. Still the improved acceleration and hill climbing addresses the issues that made me a little uncomfortable on the road.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go from here. I'm thinking right now of doing an old Vespa restoration over the winter. I have a couple candidates scattered in the barns of old ladies. ;) My scoot is adequate for my purpose right now so I don't really see taking the mods further. Then again, I love tinkering so who knows.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #14
KTMRyder OP
throttle jockey

I think you are right about the gearing Joe and also the cdi.
the will only pull so much gear stock and only rev to whatever the stock cdi will let it. I suppose you can get a lot more speed if a guy wants to spend $$ and make it more like a hand grenade.

It sounds like you got some good results, 37 mph up hill is way better than a stocker will do.

I see on the Provo Scooter site they have a Tecnomoto variator and a Malossi listed for $10 more, wasn't there before.
I wonder if the Malossi is any better?

Joe if you can will you list exactly what springs and weights you ended up using? I think I will order the same setup you did sometime this winter and I figured I would start from there and adjust as need for my 200 lb carcass.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
KTMRyder OP
throttle jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
Went to my local dealer today. Only 1 black & two gray left. Have my heart set on Yamaha blue, but I told him I would take the gray if the price were right. MSRP $1,849 he offered it at $1,750 + $100 doc fee. No thanks. I know they have just a little margin, but come on!

Good price but, $100 doc fee?

I gave $1800 for mine, no doc fees.