User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
jcolombo OP
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
Why you need a scooter!

Falling for the siren song of the Stella (thanks Photog!), I smuggled one into California via Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I've been riding bikes, mostly big BMWs for 20 years, but after a couple of weeks, I have to say that I've been missing out. Here's why we all should get scooters:

1) 2 stroke motors:

OK, I know there are non-2 strokes out here, but if, like me, you have not had the experience of owning a 2 stroke, you owe it to yourself to get one before they go that that great regulation in the sky. Great sound, fun to play with the powerband, dead simple and puts a smile on my face everytime I slow down and hear the "bing-bing-bing" sound. I just can't imagine going through life this long without having experienced this technology (those of you nodding as you gaze at your RD350 can continue to smile smugly).

2) Different roads, different sights, different experiences

My normal commute is 22 miles down a 4 lane, high speed (average > 80 MPH) freeway in the Bay Area. Although I know some people will hop their scooter up enough to ride on the freeways, I don't think there is a piston kit big enough to play in that world. So, I took the ironically-named "Foothill Expressway" to work. Nice, four lane road meandering through upscale communities, tree-lined streets and rolling hills. It's a road I would never take to work, yet being on the scooter forced me there, and I was much better for it. I arrived at work relaxed, smiling and all of about 15 minutes later than that high-speed freeway push. If this is not the single best aspect of scootering, I don't know what is.

3) Size matters

Sure, we all can handle the big bikes by now, but the feeling of moving around a 200 lb scooter in traffic, lane splitting at stoplights and just wiggling about is a nice one. I keep moving off the centerstand expecting the big weight of the big bike, and continue to be surprised at just how easy it is to move this thing around. How much weight do you really need to carry your 160 lbs around anyway?

4) Simple rules!

Simple engine, simple suspension, simple electrics, simple controls. I love what all the electronics can do for me on the BMW, but it's cool to be able to know that I can fix anything on the bike should the issue come up. Also, knowing I'm not going to be going 120+ on the scooter gives me additional confidence to take on jobs like brakes and bearings that I would not attempt on the big bike. And, as we know, confidence is the one thing you really need to have to do a job right.

So, for all you scooter-less people, beg borrow or steal a ride and see what you think. It's not the same biking experience most of us are used to, but for some it just might be something better.

JC
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
Well said. The only thing I would add is the "reaction factor". Look at the faces as you pass by. I'm new to the game but the scooter seems to evoke very sensual responses.
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
When I started riding bikes again after a layoff of......several years, I rode in the country at 40 - 45 mph.

You can actually ~see~ things at that speed.

Then came better developed riding skills and bigger bikes and the speed creeped up to where I had better give 105% of my attention to things that were necessary for keeping me alive e.g., the line, wildlife, traffic and general road conditions.

With scooters I'm back at 40 mph and seeing things again. Very nice.
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Good thread fella's!

My $0.02: It's simple. Life is getting increasingly complex and I think we're all buying into it. The demands of adult life are one thing but I think we've all been sold more complex replacements for simple pleasures so long that we increasingly tend to take the initiative ourselves even without slick marketing. You need a SUV to go to the mall, a $3.50 coffee for the trip, and some entertainment via some elaborate kid-calming system to keep the peace. Similarly, I'm certainly guilty of over-complicating motorcycle riding.

When I was younger I'd hop on my Hawk GT to run up to the store for small items. I was young and reckless! I'd just wear whatever I had on. Now I'm older and wiser and I gear up for a wreck when I ride. The idea of doing all that for a 2 mile round trip to the store is kind of laughable. So my motorcycle doesn't leave the garage except for weekends when I have time to gear up and ride all day. Only that doesn't happen much either. So what happened to the simple fun of getting my mullet in the breeze and leaning into some turns? And where did all the free time go that I used to spend riding out in the country?

My scooter has rejuvinated my joy for riding. Need a cup of sugar Honey!? I'll be right back!!! Sure, I'm not geared up for 100+ mph asphalt surfing but who cares? I'm adequately dressed and on two-wheels in under a minute! My twist-n-go scooter can run with the flow of traffic all over town. I garrauntee I'm the only guy smiling about running errands. What's not to love!?!!? I wasted my breath justifying a scooter purchase based on whatever I thought would convince my wife but really only one thing matters now: It makes me smile.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
I agree

Cutting out the big production involved in riding the big bikes actually brings back the long-lost spontaneity.

If I need to justify the cause (and I don't), citing the 90 miles per gallon factoid usually suffices.
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #6
donsolo
MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer: 156
I pick up mad bitchez with my phat ride!!!

THEY KNOW YOU'RE NOT COMPENSATING
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Question

Nice writeup, I typically get a new bike every year. Why, I don't know always something better, or a new look?? Well anyway I have had my V-Strom for a year and a half, new record for me. And there is not a new bike out these days that can do what my strom does for me. So back on topic now, I have been thinking about a scooter for the reasons mentioned above, slowing down, ride back and forth to work, typically I dont ride without gear. So when it gets so damn hot here in Indiana in the summer I find myself taking the truck back and forth to work. Well anyway I love the new Yamaha Morphus scoot, it is very futuristic, I would love to get one, but my conservitive side says get a Vino 125. Who knows just thought I would add my .02$
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150GSA
Cutting out the big production involved in riding the big bikes actually brings back the long-lost spontaneity.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,418
Excellent post, JC.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,942
yup - I hear ya.

My wife and I have always thought about The Grand MC Trip when the kids are all grown up - picking up a big wing or an LT, then heading out for a month or two - just following our noses .......... but last week we stumbled on an alternative plan - instead of riding a big rig over longer distances, why not just base ourselves somewhere in southern France or Northern Italy, rent a nice little farmhouse for a season - and shoot around the vineyards and small markets on a couple of tiny scoots for a month. Back to basics. Breakfast in bed, big dinners, fresh foods straight out the ground, sipping wine with every meal, taking time for each other the way we used to do before we somehow got caught up in this rush/run/hurry lifestyle that seems to keep pushing us along like a wave pushes a surfer.

I've been wondering recently about the whole - making life more sexy/complex/sophisticated thing - or moving towards the other end of the continuum in search of something more simple/pure/authentic.

Maybe a couple of ruckuses (or would that be, rucki?) would kick ass? who knows .... just thinking out loud .........
Old 11-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,230
Wow, excellent posts!

Ayrshire, I hear ya'.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,019
Good post and very relevent at least how I see life too. Less complications and things to worry about the more enjoyment you will get from your life. I made one move that changed my whole perspective on things... I always drove nice cars, actually really nice cars like BMW 5's and Mercedes E's last year I was fed up with the worrying about parking dings and getting clipped by my dealer everytime I went to change oil or brakes... sold the german expensive car and bought a Toyota Echo..... Talk about stress relief, I got a ding downtown the other night and it didn't even phase me. I used to go balistic if it even rained on my cars let alone the thought of getting scratches etc.... now I welcome rain, snow. The car has become basic transportation and I have more money to spend on a new scoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Bull
yup - I hear ya.

My wife and I have always thought about The Grand MC Trip when the kids are all grown up - picking up a big wing or an LT, then heading out for a month or two - just following our noses .......... but last week we stumbled on an alternative plan - instead of riding a big rig over longer distances, why not just base ourselves somewhere in southern France or Northern Italy, rent a nice little farmhouse for a season - and shoot around the vineyards and small markets on a couple of tiny scoots for a month. Back to basics. Breakfast in bed, big dinners, fresh foods straight out the ground, sipping wine with every meal, taking time for each other the way we used to do before we somehow got caught up in this rush/run/hurry lifestyle that seems to keep pushing us along like a wave pushes a surfer.

I've been wondering recently about the whole - making life more sexy/complex/sophisticated thing - or moving towards the other end of the continuum in search of something more simple/pure/authentic.

Maybe a couple of ruckuses (or would that be, rucki?) would kick ass? who knows .... just thinking out loud .........
kdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
We bought and watched the DVD "Roman Holiday." Not only did it make me want to ride my scooter it made me to drive on in Rome!

BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #14
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
Great posts! Have you all been reading my mind or something?? I just turned 47 and all I can think about is getting rid of a lot of unnecessary clutter in my life.
We moved this year and got rid of so much stuff and I still feel like there is too much.
Right after the move we traded a dirtbike for the Zuma and I keep marvelling at the sheer effortless transportation it offers. You punch the starter button, back it out of the garage (very light and easy to move around) and twist the gas to go. I even like the way the CVT holds the right RPM...the little 2 smoker just purrs along in it's happy place. My son runs errands all the time for us and can take himself to the skatepark....
I wouldn't mind one for myself, but with a little longer legs, although it doesn't have to be a maxiscooter....just enough to run around the Woodlands in the 35-45 mph posted roads. I ride my DR to work everyday and with the gloves, helmets, backpack and jacket, there's 5 min's....definitely not spontaneous..

I could see that another scooter could fit in real well...

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 11-24-2005 at 07:09 AM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #15
DNFjoe
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel mark
Nice writeup, I typically get a new bike every year. Why, I don't know always something better, or a new look?? Well anyway I have had my V-Strom for a year and a half, new record for me. And there is not a new bike out these days that can do what my strom does for me. So back on topic now, I have been thinking about a scooter for the reasons mentioned above, slowing down, ride back and forth to work, typically I dont ride without gear. So when it gets so damn hot here in Indiana in the summer I find myself taking the truck back and forth to work. Well anyway I love the new Yamaha Morphus scoot, it is very futuristic, I would love to get one, but my conservitive side says get a Vino 125. Who knows just thought I would add my .02$
If you average one new bike a year you are behind the curve on these needed purchases, get them both and catch up on you average!

Joe