User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,019
Aprilia SR 50 .... Anyone have 1 ?

This scoot caught my eye. Anyone know about reliability , parts , fun factor etc.... OR share your thoughts about this bike...

I'm also interested in differences between the regular SR and the Factory SR...

Does it ride like a TUONO ?

HP
kdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Just found a good thread on the SR 50..... more comments , experiences etc Welcome .... hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdude
This scoot caught my eye. Anyone know about reliability , parts , fun factor etc.... OR share your thoughts about this bike...

I'm also interested in differences between the regular SR and the Factory SR...

Does it ride like a TUONO ?

HP
kdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Roaming
n00b

Oddometer: 9
When i was in Croatia...

I rented an sr 50 for 24 hours and I had a real good time on it. It was several years old and beat pretty hard, but that little thing would scream its heart out. It did close to 50 mph when on a very slight downhill and would do a solid 45 on the flats (I had my gps with me) Fun little scoot. Much faster then the Piaggo Typhoon I rented a week later. That thing would do about 34 (and it was much newer and in better condition) and I swore I was going to die as traffic flew by me on those 2 lane highways i was transversing with the Piaggo.

But for being 50cc, that aprilia was quite impressive.

Roam

Roaming screwed with this post 11-25-2005 at 06:54 AM
Roaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
I'm picking up a new one this week (factory). I bought it for small errands and in-town fun. I guess I can't answer any of your questions because I haven't picked it up yet but I enjoyed the test ride I took. Even if I don't like it long term I expect my oldest son and my wife to ride it quite a bit. Compared to some of the other scooters I looked at it seems well made, but it's also a bit more money.
I'm hoping to post pics later this week.
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 382
Yep!

I've got one. An 02'. Check out http://scootnfast.com/scootnfast/ . Links to everything you'll ever need. I'm ironing out some power issues right now, IE Arrow pipe. Great little ride. Oh, 1663 mi, totally de-restricted and no problems. Big aftermarket following for this little scoot.

Cheers,
Andy
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,253
Nice site, Andy!

Welcome to ADVrider, by the way.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
My son has an 01. Bot it new as a pitbike, but it ended up being his downtown commuter. Has about 5k miles on it I think. He put an Arrow pipe on it but I think its too noisy. Fast, though. I had the thing up to 60 on Speedway Blvd. I've seen a couple with the 70cc kit, but they get pretty finicky with it. The best part of the scooter is its variable ratio gearbox. Its quite the gizmo.

-Pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Congradulations on your recent aquisition. Pls. keep me posted on your thoughts about the bike. It is one hot looking scooter. If I can just be convinced that the bike won't be breaking down all the time I thinky I will buy the factory too.

I'm impatiently waiting for those photos you promised .... hp
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Very cool site.... and it makes me feel a little more in control if problems do arise.... QUESTIONIE ... do problemo's rise often with the Apilia scooter ? My biggest fear is having multiple issues with an expensive toy. I'm just getting over my problems with a BMW K1200 RS... oil leaks, final drive issues etc. etc....

Made me crazy... so if its reliable like a Honda I'M IN !

thx. hp
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Thx Roam for the inside Scoop... still digesting info. before I make the plunge....

hp
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #11
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdude
Congradulations on your recent aquisition. Pls. keep me posted on your thoughts about the bike. It is one hot looking scooter. If I can just be convinced that the bike won't be breaking down all the time I thinky I will buy the factory too.

I'm impatiently waiting for those photos you promised .... hp

It'll be a couple of days...but I will post pics!
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 382
Talking No problems is 1663 miles!

What do you need pics of guys? My 02' differs a little but not much over the new "Factory". Reliability, great - tires and AGIP oil only City 2T, that's it. I will say that it is the most complex 50cc scooter I've seen (Yamaha, Honda, etc). The thing has 9 million fasteners, ugh! Very well made....the engine is the same as every other Italian scooter, Polini or Malossi, I think that's it, so parts are fairly inexpensive for what you get. I mean hey, what else could you buy this cheap with a single sided swingarm and disc brakes? Very cool!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Need Porsche sites? I have an absolute boatload of them......very cheap (relatively) to own if you work on them yourself.

Cheers,
Andy
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #13
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Dealer gave me some scoop on the SR-50

Seams reliability is an issue with the SR-50. The 04's did not have the same issue and was deemed reliable. The problem is with the 05's and will be an issue witht the 06's since Aprillia has not done or doesn't care to fix the problem.

The issue is with the pump. The pump fails consistantly and Aprillia will change it under warranty but are using the same pump so the problem will return... What is Aprillia thinking ?

So for the moment even though I love the look of the factory I'm going to buy another model of scoot.

The other models are not effected by this problem and are deemed to be very reliable.

hp
Old 12-01-2005, 05:57 AM   #14
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,253
poor man's SR

Not intended as a hijack, but along that line of scoots, have you looked at the Kymco Super 9?

Ours was $2600 OTD for an '05. No known issues for the model. Liquid cooled, dual disc brakes, full instrumentation, large frame, better lighting than my GS, etc. Doesn't have the big name bits of the Aprilia, but has a 2-year warranty and good support across the US. Designed as a daily rider and racer. Our local KTM dealer sells them and has been pretty happy with the company. So far we're getting about 75mpg and stock, derestricted it'll hit 50 pretty easily, and off the line it'll loft the front wheel.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

that's a hot looking scooter ... now if I can only find a dealer in Montreal. The two yr. warranty is a BIG PLUS! thx hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Not intended as a hijack, but along that line of scoots, have you looked at the Kymco Super 9?

Ours was $2600 OTD for an '05. No known issues for the model. Liquid cooled, dual disc brakes, full instrumentation, large frame, better lighting than my GS, etc. Doesn't have the big name bits of the Aprilia, but has a 2-year warranty and good support across the US. Designed as a daily rider and racer. Our local KTM dealer sells them and has been pretty happy with the company. So far we're getting about 75mpg and stock, derestricted it'll hit 50 pretty easily, and off the line it'll loft the front wheel.