Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Critt OP
Rambling on

Oddometer: 218
4 Days, Toronto to Winnipeg

Hello,

I will be driving from Toronto to Winnipeg in August. I need to spend 4 days driving (about 500-700 km per day). It cannot take longer than 4 days nor can it be shorter. I will be in a car with a trailer behind, so nothing too extreme. Not looking to adventure in the car. I will however have the Moto on the trailer, so riding is alright after I finish the daily drive.

I am thinking of stopping in Sault ste Marie
Then Thunder Bay
Then Kenora (maybe)
Then reach winnipeg.

Please make comment about where you think the best places to stay are along the way.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Brenski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
You must be in the military, planning ahead! My son and I just drove to Calgary.
TO to the Soo is a good day. We stayed at a Comfort Inn just south of 17 on the north side. Standard fare and a good breakfast.
Soo to TB is a longer day. I would suggest stopping at Nipigon and do some riding.
Nipigon to TB is mostly 4 lane, about an hour and a half. We stayed at a new Holiday Inn Express in TB.
TB to Kenora is a short day.
Kenora to Winnipeg is a short, and boring drive.
We saw three moose between Marathon and Kenora.
Hopefully you'll get some advice from the northeners!
Have a good trip.
B.
Brenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Critt OP
Rambling on

Thanks!

Yes, I figured Soo to TB was a long haul, but not sure where to stop otherwise. Then TB to Kenora is short in comparison. Again, open to suggestions. I'll have to check out Nipigon. What's there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenski View Post
You must be in the military, planning ahead! My son and I just drove to Calgary.
TO to the Soo is a good day. We stayed at a Comfort Inn just south of 17 on the north side. Standard fare and a good breakfast.
Soo to TB is a longer day. I would suggest stopping at Nipigon and do some riding.
Nipigon to TB is mostly 4 lane, about an hour and a half. We stayed at a new Holiday Inn Express in TB.
TB to Kenora is a short day.
Kenora to Winnipeg is a short, and boring drive.
We saw three moose between Marathon and Kenora.
Hopefully you'll get some advice from the northeners!
Have a good trip.
B.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 820
If you have the time, the ride from Nipigon to Beardmore and back (about an hour) is a good one. While heading back from Beardmore watch for the falls at Crooked Creek, look up and to the left. The Palisades are interesting if you're into rock climbing.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
MiltonHog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Your trip is very manageable with the days you have selected. In Sault Ste Marie the hotel choices are pretty good with a good Comfort Inn on Great Northern Road (Hwy 17 ) leading north out of the city. About 650 KMS from Angus.

Soo to Thunder Bay about 750 kms . There is a great Best Western on Hwy 61 just out side of town very bike friendly . It is about 5 minutes out of town with a good restaurant on site and across the road. You may want to pay a visit to the Mad House down town. Owned by an inmate named Felix aka North Rider a cool guy by any standard.

The ride along Lake Superior is amazing and should be enjoyed. Take some photos . Also just before Thunder Bay is Terry Fox Memorial Park. A very humbling memorial. We have all lost some one to cancer. Look south over the lake and see the Sleeping Giant out on Superior. There are a lot of hills and trucks so it will be a bit slow but manageable.

I would spend an extra day in Thunder Bay and do some riding . You can make it to Winnipeg from Thunder Bay in a comfortable day.

Check in on the Northern Ont forum a very active and interesting group.

Enjoy the trip . Very large Moose make night driving dangerous and not recommended.

I would like to say thanks for your service.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Critt OP
Rambling on

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain View Post
If you have the time, the ride from Nipigon to Beardmore and back (about an hour) is a good one. While heading back from Beardmore watch for the falls at Crooked Creek, look up and to the left. The Palisades are interesting if you're into rock climbing.

Woodgrain
This might be a plan... two days in TB. Thanks for the appreciation and tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonHog View Post
Your trip is very manageable with the days you have selected. In Sault Ste Marie the hotel choices are pretty good with a good Comfort Inn on Great Northern Road (Hwy 17 ) leading north out of the city. About 650 KMS from Angus.

Soo to Thunder Bay about 750 kms . There is a great Best Western on Hwy 61 just out side of town very bike friendly . It is about 5 minutes out of town with a good restaurant on site and across the road. You may want to pay a visit to the Mad House down town. Owned by an inmate named Felix aka North Rider a cool guy by any standard.

The ride along Lake Superior is amazing and should be enjoyed. Take some photos . Also just before Thunder Bay is Terry Fox Memorial Park. A very humbling memorial. We have all lost some one to cancer. Look south over the lake and see the Sleeping Giant out on Superior. There are a lot of hills and trucks so it will be a bit slow but manageable.

I would spend an extra day in Thunder Bay and do some riding . You can make it to Winnipeg from Thunder Bay in a comfortable day.

Check in on the Northern Ont forum a very active and interesting group.

Enjoy the trip . Very large Moose make night driving dangerous and not recommended.

I would like to say thanks for your service.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,709
Posted to Winterpeg...haha! You aere?

You have my condolences.

+1 on visiting the Madhouse in TBay, Felix is one of us, and great guy.

If you're gonna two day in TBay, then you could ride down to Aerostich and back in a day, get yourself some good gear, and there's a discount for ride ins.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Critt OP
Rambling on

Yes, AERE. Aerostich is a little out of the way this time... plus I cannot afford any more gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Posted to Winterpeg...haha! You aere?

You have my condolences.

+1 on visiting the Madhouse in TBay, Felix is one of us, and great guy.

If you're gonna two day in TBay, then you could ride down to Aerostich and back in a day, get yourself some good gear, and there's a discount for ride ins.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM   #9
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 482
Make sure you hit the Hoito in Tbay as well. Camping? Agawa Bay north of Soo is nice or Pancake Bay. Will shorten drive to Tbay. Sleeping Giant near Tbay is nice but bit out of the way. Kekabeka Falls (sp?) in Tbay is nice as well. My 2 cents
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote