User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,942
B.C. Neighbour, Bill to Allow Lane Splitting

Washington State Bill HB1515, to allow motorcycle lane splitting, now in Washington State legislature.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summa...1515&year=2015
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #2
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
....so, as in CA, it appears to be drafted to allow MC operators to get through in congested traffic.

Didn't BC have something in draft form to allow MC's to ride on the shoulder in times of congestion from accidents ahead etc?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,207
Fully realizing splitting theoretically makes riding safer .........
I would be reluctant to split lanes in Vancouver. Good chance of being killed.
I believe that some Vancouver drivers would squeeze you, "with intent".
They do it to bicyclists, every day, all day. Perhaps the bicyclists are not
playing by the rules, however, threatening a bicyclist with a car, that's just plain wrong.
Serious business, surviving on a motorcycle in Vancouver.
I truly prefer to take my bicycle on the bike routes, in Vancouver.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I have split lanes in California, and felt perfectly safe, here in B.C ,no way!
Most drivers here are too busy doing other things than to pay attention to driving
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
if it Was allowable in BC i would give it 5+ yrs of motorists (caged) getting used to it before i would be in the fray sliding between stopped vehicles...let the outrage subside you know.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
I have split lanes in California, and felt perfectly safe, here in B.C ,no way!
Most drivers here are too busy doing other things than to pay attention to driving
I've lane split in California as well, and England, New Zealand, and some former USSR western countries. No problem. I'm afraid you are correct though, here in southwest BC, we are hampered with perhaps the worst drivers in the western world, as well as the most impatient, and selfish ones. I have lane split here before, mostly on Hwy 1 Abbotsford to Surrey, only during crashes. I've been spit at, cigarretes flicked at me, doors opened on purpose, cars swerved to block me. There's a very serious "me first" situation here, as they don't realize and don't care that motorcyclists during a commute is actually reducing their commute time. I'd love it myself, but If it were to become "non illegal" here, there would be huge carnage.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I think it's a matter of driver education. As time goes by people would get used to it. Having said that, I agree B.C. drivers are some of the worst I've come across. The sense of entitlement is the most frustrating part for me.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Chr!s
natural born dreamer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I've lane split in California as well, and England, New Zealand, and some former USSR western countries. No problem. I'm afraid you are correct though, here in southwest BC, we are hampered with perhaps the worst drivers in the western world, as well as the most impatient, and selfish ones. I have lane split here before, mostly on Hwy 1 Abbotsford to Surrey, only during crashes. I've been spit at, cigarretes flicked at me, doors opened on purpose, cars swerved to block me. There's a very serious "me first" situation here, as they don't realize and don't care that motorcyclists during a commute is actually reducing their commute time. I'd love it myself, but If it were to become "non illegal" here, there would be huge carnage.
That's very true Steve. Although having lived in Ontario and travelled in the States, the rare occasions I lane split or filtered, I also suffered a similar fate there too. I seriously don't get the attitude in NA..I'm sick of it and one of the reasons I'm going back to Europe for good. No more sitting in traffic, in full gear, sweating like a gimp...

2014 WR250R...recently sold
2014 S1000R...recently sold
Chr!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr!s View Post
That's very true Steve. Although having lived in Ontario and travelled in the States, the rare occasions I lane split or filtered, I also suffered a similar fate there too. I seriously don't get the attitude in NA..I'm sick of it and one of the reasons I'm going back to Europe for good. No more sitting in traffic, in full gear, sweating like a gimp...
Leaving the North American continent because of shitty drivers and lack of lane splitting privileges seems like a harsh move, I'm sure there are other factors, especially considering the looming economic meltdown of the welfare state in all of western Europe. But hey, hope it works out for ya.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,207
Riding in Europe is a pleasure. No doubt.
I had less "scares" in 5000 km, in Europe, than I do in 2 city blocks, in Vancouver.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
....so, as in CA, it appears to be drafted to allow MC operators to get through in congested traffic.

Didn't BC have something in draft form to allow MC's to ride on the shoulder in times of congestion from accidents ahead etc?
Would be long time coming...back when I was commuting from Van to Surrey during and throughout the Port Mann bridge construction there were often lines of solid immobile traffic slowly tricking through onramps...many is the day I would "pass on the right" justifying my bike but pissing people off, finally got me a ticket one snowy December evening heading home. Cop threatened to impound my bike when I questioned the logic of charging me, I believe the intent of that law was to prevent highway passing at highway speeds, not passing stopped vehicles.

Splitting lanes, can't see it our highways don't seem wide enough, not a lot of space between lanes.

Effisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effisland View Post
Would be long time coming...back when I was commuting from Van to Surrey during and throughout the Port Mann bridge construction there were often lines of solid immobile traffic slowly tricking through onramps...many is the day I would "pass on the right" justifying my bike but pissing people off, finally got me a ticket one snowy December evening heading home. Cop threatened to impound my bike when I questioned the logic of charging me, I believe the intent of that law was to prevent highway passing at highway speeds, not passing stopped vehicles.

Splitting lanes, can't see it our highways don't seem wide enough, not a lot of space between lanes.
Bingo! You nailed it. Our lanes are indeed much more narrow than roads in California. I notice it myself when ever I lanesplit on my 'wide-ass' 1200gs with panniers here and in Cal. Really close to mirrors here.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #13
Chr!s
natural born dreamer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Bingo! You nailed it. Our lanes are indeed much more narrow than roads in California. I notice it myself when ever I lanesplit on my 'wide-ass' 1200gs with panniers here and in Cal. Really close to mirrors here.
Can't speak for California but the roads over here are no slimmer than UK or other parts of Europe...probably the opposite in fact...and Euro drivers and riders manage to exist in relative harmony.

2014 WR250R...recently sold
2014 S1000R...recently sold

Chr!s screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 12:19 AM Reason: Stella induced grammar
Chr!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr!s View Post
Can't speak for California but the roads over here are no slimmer than UK or other parts of Europe...probably the opposite in fact...and drivers and riders manage to exist in relative harmony.
So there's regular lane splitting happening in harmony on Vancouver Island? That's good news!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
So there's regular lane splitting happening in harmony on Vancouver Island? That's good news!
Lol...not that I've seen. I wish though.
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote