Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #136
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg
Hey guys, just ran across this thread while looking for places to ride in Ontario. I just got a 2004 KLR650 in November, and my girlfriend got a 2005 KLR650 in January, both of us previously having ridden only on the street. We'd love to come out and ride with other Ontarians, but would we be too new to dual-sporting and be in the way for a ride? If so, where should we consider to start? We aren't looking for hard-core offroad, but aren't afraid to get muddy either
Welcome to the Asylum.

Where are you located? I'm near Trenton, but most of us are from all over the province. Makes it easier to hook up if we know where you're at.

And stay away from Osteo. When he gets tired you end up having to help him pick up his bike. Dood needs to get in shape.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #137
GB OP
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Bob,

When's the first ride of the season?!!

And where on the ODSC do you post your rides.. it's been a while!

Btw folks, Bob plans excellent routes, not too difficult for the big D-S bikes, and no swimming gear needed.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #138
vexorg
This User Title For Rent

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM
You didn't say where in Ontario you are located. The most obvious place to look for Dual Sport rides in Ontario Dual Sport Club.
I usually organize rides starting in Campbellville that are attended mainly by KLR650, DR650, F650GS, etc owners and many are suitable for DS beginners. Mainly gravel back roads, road allowances, forest access roads.

There are also many "hard-core" rides organized for those who prefer bottomless mud, river crossing, and single track. There's even an Adventure DualSporting section.

Check it out. www.odsc.on.ca

BTW, I post there as BackRoadsRider.

Bob
Ya, I was at the ODSC AGM last week, I think that's where I got this killer flu Anyways, I've updated my profile to show I'm from Toronto. I'm vexorg on the odsc board as well. It's great to see all these people from around here to ride with!

I gotta get better by Friday, +12C on Saturday!! w000!
vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #139
minidisco
When are we going?

Oddometer: 161
Chiming in, from Sc'arlem... Yeah, this weekend coming up looks like excellent weather. I plan on installing most of my accessories on the GS: got a set of IPF and a small set of H3 wide beams, plus the GPS and iPod will get their own power - and I've placed an order for the air horn from Adverturer's Workshop.

My bike won't be road worthy for another week or two, but after that I'm pretty much in the saddle every single weekend until mid-December. I'm game for a meet & greet, but as was previously suggested by someone else: it might be prudent to have the first meeting as a one-day ride only and get to know each other.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
nick.
minidisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #140
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Bob ... When's the first ride of the season?!! ... And where on the ODSC do you post your rides.. it's been a while!....
Hi Rick,
The first ride of this season was early January I've been out 7 or 8 times already - whenever it's been above 3-4C. Makes it easier when work doesn't interfere with your riding schedule.

I started the Campbellville Chapter in ODSC last summer so we've been sort of keeping our rides among that group and not posting them all on the Upcoming Rides and Events Forum. When we bumped into you at Creemore at the end of last season - that was the CC Riders. We meet every Wednesday at 6:30pm at the Mohawk Inn (401/Guelph Line) and do local rides and then socialize. Haven't had a winter meeting yet, but might plan one for Wednesday March 15 and get a jump on planning some summer rides.

We'll be trying to get a similar deal setup for Sunday mornings at 9am this year, just meet and ride with whoever is there. Last summer about 35 riders in total attended with about 10 each week.

Haven't decided whether to hold the Annual Falls GPS Tour for ODSC next month. We've done 3 so far and running out of ideas for fresh routes.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #141
rockjock699
BorealBomber

Oddometer: 104
Discovery Routes

Hey all,

I think Drif10 mentioned doing the Seguin Trail a number of years ago and stopping at the Old Nipissing Road. A number of years ago as a student I did a survey of logging and trade roads to the North for Nipissing University in North Bay... I slogged the Old Nipissing Road by foot from Nipissing Village and wish in hindsight that I'd been on something floggable. Anyway, I would highly recommend checking out these roads...Old Nipissing, Old Muskoka and Rye Road....Not sure how much pedestrian/cycle traffic they are getting now (knowing the North, not much), but that would be my only caveat.

Check out the following link: http://www.discoveryroutes.org/South%20River.htm

Cheers
rockjock699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #142
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,240
Oh no!!!

I just got the 2006 Touratech bible in the mail with some goodies.I'll make sure to bring it out on are rides. This way I'm not the only one going broke.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #143
Ridemuch
SUP

I've seen a black GSA on the 400 north bond today...anyone?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #144
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 387
Spring Ride - Setting a Route & Date

Well I've cracked the MapArt Road Atlas and sparked up the Garmin to plot some back roads for an organized Spring Ride and thought I would request assistance. Below are some thoughts in creating the ride;

- Primarily gravel or hard-packed roads to start.
- 1 day ride.
- Start or finish north of Ajax-Whitby.
- roll through the Oak Ridges Moraine\Northumberland Hills.
- thought of meeting somewhere around Stouffville, heading due east maybe ending up in Bewdley and then work our way back towards Whitby.

Can we get a couple of folks to come forward with route ideas, perhaps plotting them on their GPS and emailing them to me? If we estimate 3 groups of 4 or about 12 people, we will need a restaurant with a table for 12 along the way for lunch.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #145
Ridemuch
SUP

Hey John,
I'm ok with any trip just point me in the right direction and i'll be ok with what ever you plan.
If there is anything I can do just let me know.

Cheers Carlo
Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #146
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

There's ice racing up on Scugog this saturday, buddy of mine is coming up from Montreal for it. Bart and I are thinking about riding up to watch.

First real ride of the season...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #147
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Hey Guys

I've been riding to the office this week, not much distance but it sure feels good.

John, I'll start poking my nose around the areas you mention and see if I can come up with anything. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Hope to see you guys soon.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #148
vexorg
This User Title For Rent

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemuch
Hey John,
I'm ok with any trip just point me in the right direction and i'll be ok with what ever you plan.
If there is anything I can do just let me know.

Cheers Carlo
Since I don't know any good non-paved roads, I'll just go along with whatever the plan turns out to be. That ice racing sure sounds cool though, I've never seen it in person before.
vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #149
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg
Since I don't know any good non-paved roads, I'll just go along with whatever the plan turns out to be. That ice racing sure sounds cool though, I've never seen it in person before.
It's different, that's for sure. Thinking real hard about going if it's still on with this heat wave going on.

http://www.cmgonline.com/articles/CM...228/index.html

Drif10 screwed with this post 03-09-2006 at 07:29 PM
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #150
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Hey Jim
You up for a ride on Sunday? I've got to change my rear brake fluid that morning and test out the fronts before I go very far from the house (I installed the high fender on the 950) but I'm thinking on heading out towards Northumberland probably mid day for a few hours.

How much snow is still out there?

I emailed Kevin B to see what he is doing, but have not heard back as yet... probably will tomorrow.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote